“Lovely setting, great food!”

Big Trees Lodge Dining Room
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed July 2, 2014

We were told that Teddy Roosevelt skipped a gala dinner here to go camping with John Muir. He missed a great meal! The setting is lovely, with notable architectural details and carefully preserved or restored textiles and antiques--the ultimate in casual elegance. Service was prompt and friendly, and the food was excellent--creamy chowder and fresh turkey sandwiches on fresh bread with a crisp salad, nicely dressed. The vegetarian pasta option also got a rave review. Would definitely recommend!

Reviewed July 1, 2014

Arrived on a busy Tuesday night at 5.45 pm. Had to wait 45 minutes for a table. No matter. Sipped a cocktail on the porch and relaxed to the stories and tunes of the local pianist. Dining room is historically appointed & cozy. Cheddar biscuits served while we waited for our dinners. Vegetarian Napoleon ($21) was flavorful - but, a little heavy on the balsamic. My husband selected the fish of the day (Sea bass, $30). Server was able to accomodate his dairy allergy - brought out a printed sheet with all ingredients listed. Kid's menu was only for 10 and under, which was a bummer for my 12 yr old. He didn't like anything on the adult menu. Ordered the turkey meatloaf ($17) - which he didn't like (I tasted it, and it was very good). Due to limited selections in the Wawona area, I would recommend eating here for a nice meal (otherwise you have at least a 1/2 drive to Fish Camp, 50 minutes to Oakhurst or an hour to the Valley).

Reviewed June 26, 2014

This was a pretty lunch. Choices are basic- sandwiches and salads, but ingredients are fresh, flavorful, and delicious.
I had the club sandwich with avocado and bacon with a delicious aioli. The portions of avocado were so generous and creamy.
The views from the dining room were quite nice with huge windows and views of the trees.
It really made me wish I would have considered staying at this property- it seemed so peaceful and idyllic -- maybe we will stay here in the future!

This is a great place to stop for lunch after hiking in the Mariposa Sequoia grove on your way back to Yosemite Valley.

Reviewed June 26, 2014

I think they made it a point to use mushrooms in every dish. I had the pasta special--lots of shrooms. It was okay, except my veggies were a bit soggy. My husband had the meatloaf--toped with mushrooms. I think it tasted better than it looked. The dining room takes you back to Victorian days and it is probably one of the three top options in the park. There is a lovely fountain in front, a long deck with Adirondack chairs to lounge in. No one is in a hurry here.

Reviewed June 26, 2014

Classy establishment with a pianist playing a Steinway Concert Grand. The food was well prepared but a bit pricey. The wine list was decent but not overpriced.They charge a $30 corking fee, which I thought was a bit steep.