“Good food and really your only option”

Big Trees Lodge Dining Room
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed June 14, 2013

If you stay a the Wawona Hotel this is your only choice other than packing in your own groceries. We found the staff to be very pleasant. Dinner was good, if a bit expensive. Complimentary continental breakfast (breads, ceral, fruit) was also good, but if you want something a bit hardier order off the menu.

There are newer reviews for Big Trees Lodge Dining Room

Reviewed June 14, 2013

We stayed in Yosemite West which is right in between the Valley & Wawona Hotel. So one night to get out of the Valley we decided to drive the other direction & have dinner here.
We each got the smaller portion of the Chicken Alfredo & iced tea. It was delicious & plenty! I can't imagine what the larger portion would look like.
The food is a little overpriced (total with tip was $50) for what it is but it was fun to see the old hotel and your paying Yosemite prices after all.

It's a beautiful area! If you have extra time just sit & look in the Adirondack chairs out front.

Reviewed June 12, 2013

I had tried unsuccessfully to get reservations to stay at the Wawona several weeks before we arrived in the area, so I was a little ticked off that when we finally got to Yosemite, there were signs everywhere announcing vacancies there. But we'd already made other accommodations, so that was that. We spent a day sightseeing in the Mariposa Grove and decided to have lunch in the Wawona Dining Room. The historic hotel and grounds were pretty and peaceful but honestly a little disappointing after having read so much about them before we arrived. Think upscale, old-fashioned summer camp, and you kind of have an idea of the "feel" of the place. It was almost 2:00 when we got to the hotel, and we were surprised to discover lunch was no longer being served! Apparently the dining room is only open for lunch for around 2 hours per day. Sorry, but that is strange to me that the only restaurant in the area is only open for lunch from 11:30 until 1:30. We saw the lunch menu, and it was extremely "upscale" and expensive, and we peaked into the dining room which looked nice and old-fashioned, but didn't make my heart go pitter-pat or anything. A host saw us peaking and asked if he could help us, and we said we'd missed lunch so we just wanted a peak, and he told us that "late lunch" was available but was only served on the porch. So since our lunch options ranged from slim to none, we decided to give it a go. The late lunch menu is extremely limited, as you might guess. The choices were a burger, a couple of salads, and a sandwich or two. We ordered and discovered that the portion sizes were huge, so none of us was able to finish our food. The burger we got was good but nothing special as were the club sandwich and caesar salad. The waiter was very nice and the food came out very quickly. The prices were okay, kind of high but not outrageous. Eating on the porch was pleasant but nothing all that special. Several birds came down onto the porch to try and nab some leftovers off of a tray, and the waiter informed us we should all be cautious because the birds had been known to actually try to get food off diners' plates. It didn't happen while we watched, but if it had I'm sure my ranking would have gone down quite a bit. Overall, I'd say lunch at the Wawona was underwhelming though not bad. I don't know if I'll ever be in Yosemite again, and if I were I don't know if I'd try the Wawona again. The high expectations I got from researching the place for my vacation weren't really answered by our pleasant though nothing-special experience.

Reviewed June 12, 2013 via mobile

A pretty good lunch menu, sitting on the front porch with a good breeze. Evening drinks are a little steep $$, dinner was reminiscent of classic old country clubs. Nice, not spectacular. In general older clientele. Wait staff was very accommodating with our large group (17).

Reviewed May 28, 2013

The menu is somewhat traditional, ut the food was good, the service was excellent, and the view out over the front lawn with the fountain was very peaceful and pleasant. They open the (screened) windows some and a pleasnat breeze comes in.