“What Happened to This Place?”

The Majestic Yosemite Dining Room
Reserve with OpenTable
The Majestic Yosemite Dining Room is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Cuisines: American, International
Good for: Scenic view, Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Buffet, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Village Drive
Transit: Stop #3 on complimentary Yosemite Valley Shuttle route.
Description: With towering 34-foot high ceilings, enormous pine trestles and granite pillars, the chandelier-lit The Majestic Yosemite Dining Room is as spectacular as it is inviting. Breakfast, lunch, and dinner are served each day as well as our legendary Sunday Brunch. The Majestic Yosemite Dining Room offers the finest dining in all of Yosemite National Park.
Reviewed November 21, 2012

Once upon a time, dining here was a memorable experience, well worth the wait and expense. Alas, those days are now gone, from the cattle-treatment at the reservation desk to the airline-foood quality and limited choices on the menu.

We bought he obligatory drink to enjoy the 40 minute wait in the lobby and both were quite delightful.My Bloody Mary was strong, rich and tangy enough to survive the global warming of the ice from the fireplace where we waited. In 20 minutes, I feel the pager go off, we gather our gear and are greeted at the desk with a stern warning that we almost had our table given away. Next time, I guess we'll run to the desk.

We were seated at a nice table in a near-empty restaurant and given the names and credentials of both the people who would be attending to us for lunch. We order promptly, hoping to have time to go ice skating. 30 minutes later, I ask the waiter (who never checked in on us) if our food was ready. He claimed they had yet to page him but agreed to go see if it was ready. It was and he brought it to our table warm.

The turkey sandwich my wife ordered was dry and tasteless, save for the piece of bacon I gave her from my burger which while cooked just right, was nothing more than average and the fries were dry and soggy. Like the $5 milk shake in Pulp Fiction, I expect a $19 burger to be off the chart and the fries at least as good as what the French make. Meanwhile, the buss gal never showed up with more water but managed to bang the silverware right behind us, anticipating perhaps a land-grab crowd at 2pm.

When the dining manager stopped by, my wife mentioned her bread tasted stale and he said he would "go look into it"...trans: obviously she must be lying to him. He thought it was fresh but did offer a complimentary dessert. Here is a tip: Believe the customer and do a follow-up investigation on your own time. We were already running late and at this point, just wanted to get going. We did feel sadly vindicated when the three people having the same sandwich at the next table looked seriously underwhelmed by their first bite, looking at the meal somewhat inquisitively.

Save for perhaps the Bracebridge Dinner, consider this the last meal I will eat here. The Bloody Mary is a different story,

1  Thank ErnestStranger
Write a ReviewReviews (2,175)

Reviewed November 20, 2012

Our trip to Yosemite was about three years in the planning stages. One top spot to see and enjoy was the hotels very best dining room. The hospitality had not changed in the many decades that I had dined in the glass fronted room which gave you the experience that you were almost climbing the mountains that surround the restaurant. We had the most wonderful lunch in the entire valley. We will return to see this hotel again.

Reviewed November 18, 2012

This was our lunch stop on the bus tour of Yosemite. A delightful lunch was served in the original hotel built in the valley. Beautiful surroundings with a huge porch with rockers.

Reviewed November 18, 2012

We had lunch outside at The Ahwahnee Hotel. The food was a little pricey but very good. The atmosphere and the views are outstanding. No trip to Yosemite is complete without visiting the hotel.

Reviewed November 16, 2012

Wow, was this restaurant expensive. Unless you dont mind spending over $125 for a dinner for two, don't even think about going. I'm glad I had the experience, but that will probably be my one and only visit. Maybe lunch is more reasonable.