“A spectacular hike but full of people”
Review of Mist Trail

$115.00*
and up
Yosemite Day Hike from Glacier Point Including Panorama Trail
More attraction details
Owner description: Eminently accessible and popular, the Mist Trail takes hikers through Yosemite National Park to Vernal Fall Bridge, the best place to watch the waterfall.
Thoiry, France
93 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 165 helpful votes
“A spectacular hike but full of people”
Reviewed July 20, 2014

Not a good choice of hike if you are in mid-season in the middle of the day and hope to find peace and quiet and have the falls to yourself. There were probably 500 people or more on the trail just during the time we hiked it (mid-afternoon in June) so getting a photo without others in it was difficult, but on the other hand, finding someone to take a shot of you was no problem! This trail has been improved constantly and is much easier than 20 years ago when only the first 1km or so was paved and the rest was "improved" with rocks placed to make the steep parts easier but still was rough and sometimes tricky. Now it is paved for the lower section and well built for the rest allowing for people to go with rather lightweight footwear. Still the upper section in the mist can be very slippery so I would advise at least a good pair of running/walking shoes. If you choose a good time of day (morning is probably best) and the wind is blowing from the right direction and the sun is out, there will be spectacular rainbows on this hike. There are numerous excellent views from all along the trail and a vertiginous one from the top of the falls. The Emerald Pool and the water slide feeding it are also an impressive sight.

With direct access from the Curry Village area and the shuttle stop at the trailhead, this will always be a very popular and heavily used hike. But if you can ignore the crowds or go off season or very early in the morning, it is certainly worth the effort.

Visited June 2014

• Arabic first
  • Korean first
Long Beach, CA
24 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 34 helpful votes
“The Indiana jones part of the panorama trail”
Reviewed July 15, 2014

Wear good shoes and watch where you step. It's a beautiful trail, though a little slippery. Take your time and be prepared to deal not just with crowds, but with crowds of people who thought it was wise to hike this in flip flops. Beautiful views!

Visited July 2014
Hilliard, Ohio
24 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“Steep, Rocky, Wet - Wonderful”
Reviewed July 14, 2014

The Yosemite NP Guide indicates this hike as a 3 mile round trip, strenuous, 1,000 ft gain hike to the top of Vernal Fall. What makes this a strenuous hike is the steepness of a stretch of the trail after you cross the footbridge and continue on. It is steep and rocky with "stairs" cut into the rock of the mountain. Trail width gets pretty narrow at times necessitating hikers wait to pass each other. I was taught those going up a trail should yield to those coming down a trail. The trail gets even narrower and steeper after you reach the bottom of the fall and proceed up to the top. Once at the top, there is room to move around. I found it breathtaking and worth the hike. My husband enjoyed it. My 10 year old girl enjoyed it. My 13 year old boy hated every minute as we didn't realize the extent of his fear of heights. The rocky trail does get wet from the mist of the falls, and it can be hazardous. Common sense caution is all that is needed. We saw people of all ages on the trail, from the very young to the well seasoned. Once at the top of Vernal Fall, you can go back down the way you came or go back by the way of the Winter Trail, which is not well marked as we bypassed it an unknowingly continued on to Nevada Fall about halfway. We back tracked and found the Winter Trail sign. Even the Winter Trail was hard to follow at times. At the end, you can go right or left. We did not see any signs and were misdirected to the left by another hiker. As a result of missing the Winter Trail sign and back tracking, taking the Winter Trail (adds another mile, ~1 hour), and taking a wrong turn at the end, what was supposed to be a 2 to 4 hour hike (per the NP guide), was a 6 hour hike.

Visited June 2014
1 Thank CJ P
Tyler, Texas
180 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 171 helpful votes
“Don't Miss This!”
Reviewed July 11, 2014 via mobile

Spent three days in Yosemite and this is by far my favorite place. The views are breathtaking. My wife and I hike regularly and we did the hike pretty easy. The are some rough spots but if you take your time it's fairly easy. Make sure you take plenty of water. The waterfall is amazing and the mist feels good after a moderate hike, don't miss this awesome wonder!

Trenton, New Jersey
19 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 25 helpful votes
“First time seeing a rattle snake!”
Reviewed July 7, 2014

After reading the previous reviews on TripAdvisor, I knew this was a hike I wanted to do. I was not expecting it to be so steep. Not really a big deal for us since we are all in shape, but the hike took much longer than I expected. It was also pretty crowded, so getting back down took a lot of time since some sections of the upper stair part of the trail are only passable by one person at a time. I was polite and waited much more than I felt I should have. Anyway, the hike was amazing, even with the crowds. The first glimpse of the Vernal Falls was breathtaking and it kept getting more amazing the further we climbed! And bonus, we saw a rattle snake on the path. He was fine as we gave him space to get back to the rocks. This is the first time I have ever seen one in the wild before and I have been on a lot of hikes! So fun for the family to see. There were so many great photo opportunities which made this so worth it. At the very top the squirrels are just beggars! My son sat down to eat his granola bar and I thought he was going to be attacked, one on each side. They just are not afraid of people and are ready for a treat. DO NOT FEED the squirrels as people food is not good for them.

I was happy to see about 1/2 way up there is a bathroom and water fountain to refill water bottles!

Great 1/2 day hike in Yosemite!

Visited July 2014