“Wow - roughest 0.8 miles I have ever hiked!”
Review of Vernal Fall

Vernal Fall
Book In Advance
More Info
$139.00*
and up
Yosemite National Park Day Trip from San Francisco
More attraction details
Owner description: Though not as tall as Yosemite Falls, Vernal Fall is popular for the green foliage that surrounds it year-round and the rainbow mist it produces as the water cascades.
Glen Burnie, Maryland
29 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 38 helpful votes
“Wow - roughest 0.8 miles I have ever hiked!”
Reviewed November 5, 2012

I'm a woman in my late 30's who exercises about 3 times a week, does a fair amount of hiking, and considers myself in pretty decent shape, but this hike kicked my butt, and I did not make it to the top (some of that was a time factor).

We saw the first section was a paved 0.8 miles and figured it'd be a short hike we could do fairly quickly, and then decide if we wanted to go all the way to the top. We did not factor in the elevation gain sucking the air out of our lungs. We saw people from teens to senior citizens along the path, so don't let me scare you off - you can do it; just take lots of water with you, take breaks as needed, and expect it to take a while.

It was pretty crowded in early October; I can't imagine how packed it would be during high tourist season.

The views were beautiful. The falls had a decent amount of water running; I expect they are spectacular at full volume.

We reached the bridge 0.8 miles up the trail, and due to time factors as well as a headache I was developing, decided not to go any further. The trip down was slighly less taxing, but the steepness of the trail didn't make it an easy hike by any means.

• Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
Columbus, Ohio
29 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 39 helpful votes
“Worth the hike!”
Reviewed November 1, 2012

It's a rather short hike to view Vernal Falls, but it is a little steep or some. The steps to the top of the falls might be intimidating but it's worth the view during the journey up and from the top! This is the perfect hike for somebody who wants to do moe than "tour by car", but may not have the time or inclination to go all the way to Nevada Falls, Half Dome, Glacier Point or Mt. Hoffman.

Visited September 2012
La Jolla, California
68 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 282 helpful votes
“Superb!”
Reviewed October 23, 2012

I am scared of heights (well actually have a fear of falling), but was able to do the climb. Slow and steady, stop for breaks, have a great supporting companion, and so worth it when you get to the top! What a view. We took the Mist Trail up, but my friend found an alternative route (was a marked trail) back down along the winter route. If you are like me, hike up the Mist Trail and come back via the Winter Trail.

The hike is not to be missed!

Manchester, United Kingdom
181 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 238 helpful votes
“What a waterfall!”
Reviewed October 22, 2012

Wow! We really enjoyed the hike we did up to Vernal Falls. There are a number of hiking options including carrying onto Nevada Falls and beyond. However, we would recommend climbing the steps up the side of Vernal Falls before continuing past Emerald Pool then make your way up to Clarke Point for a spectacular view back down to the falls and where you have come from before descending back down the John Muir Trail to the valley. This walk took us some time and was not easy but you are highly rewarded, you get to stand at the top of the dramatic Vernal Falls and also visit part of the National Park the crowds don’t.

Visited July 2012
Urbandale, Iowa
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“Amazing!”
Reviewed October 20, 2012

The view is amazing! Words cannot describe it! A few words of advice: take water and stay hydrated. Wear the right shoes - cannot believe that some people did this hike in flip flops. Take your time, this is a strenuous hike at times.