“Father and son Yosemite fly fishing experience”

Yosemite Sierra Fly Fishing
More attraction details
Owner description: Yosemite Sierra Fly Fishing offers fully guided and instructional fly fishing trips in Yosemite National Park. All equipment is provided and beginners are welcome!
Reviewed May 6, 2013

My son and I booked a trip with Tom last summer and met near a river on the outskirts of the park. Tom had all the equipment including boots, rods and reels and as we were both beginners we fished for small trout. Tom was very patient, teaching us how to spot trout, move upstream and simple fly fishing techniques. He was very keen that we both caught fish.

Later on the in day we started to really fly cast and 'strip' which caught us more small trout.

All in all this was a fantastic introduction to fly fishing in a great environment with a patient, competent and honest guide. My son still talks of this day as one of the highlights of our trip.

1  Thank Martin H
in 3 reviews
"outing"
"creek"

Reviewed April 4, 2013

As soon as Tom and I arrived at the river, he was "on point" like a gun dog - he immediately spotted more than a couple of good sized rainbows, even if I couldn't.

As they cruised the low, slow-moving pools, he handed me a perfectly balanced, pre-rigged rod and reel. Not long after that, I landed my first fish. I netted quite a few healthy rainbows during our outing, thanks to Tom's combinations of Stimulators and Royal Wulffs with Copper Johns and Hare's Ear droppers.

My trip with Tom highlighted two of the most important things I've learned in my short stint with fly fishing: it helps to have a buddy spotting fish for you and a good guide will get you "on fish" as soon as possible.

As if that's not enough, Tom surprised me with a delicious lunch that rivalled any any you could find in the best cafes throughout Yosemite. It doesn't get much better.

You won't go wrong with Tom.

Reviewed April 1, 2013

Tom hosted my two adult children and I last June, 2012, for a half-day of fishing next to the Yosemite National Park. Though we are experienced fishermen, and have fly fished a few times previously, we are still novices at catching trout with a fly rod. Tom provided all the equipment needed, and more importantly gave us the instruction needed to be successful in catching fish. We have fished for trout in Colorado and North Carolina with fly rods, previously. The fish we caught with Tom at Yosemite were larger, and the bite lasted all morning. It was an awesome experience.
Tim

Reviewed March 30, 2013

My mom and I went with Tim last year while vacationing in Yosemite. We had a great time and caught many fish. Tim was patient and very attentive, highly recommended!...

See more reviews
Reviewed March 29, 2013

My wife had never been fly fishing and rarely fishes. I fish a little bit, but have just begun to fly fish. Tom Knoth helped to teach us the basics, help choose and tie flies. Taught us various techniques and we caught some rainbow trout. We had fun, had success and learned a little more fishing lore for future trips. Great way to spend a half or full day.