“Small grove of the awesome giant trees”

Tuolumne Grove of Giant Sequoias
Book In Advance
More Info
$249.00*
and up
Private Full Day in Yosemite National Park from...
Reviewed March 30, 2014

The parking lot and trailhead for the Tuolumne Grove of Giant Sequoias are located about 15 miles north of Yosemite Valley on the Tiago Pass Road. I believe this is the closest giant sequoia grove to the Yosemite Valley floor (I think this grove is closer than the Merced Grove). It is easy to access if you are driving to Yosemite via the Tioga Pass Road.

This is not a large grove of Giant Sequoia so keep your expectations lower and do not expect to see a large number of giant trees. Tuolumne Grove is much less crowded but also much less scenic than the popular Mariposa Grove by the south entrance to the Park. Since the parking lot is located right off of the busy Tiago Pass Road there is a steady stream of tourist parking and walking to the see the awesome trees.

I went to this small grove with my wife in late July when the weather was fantastic and there were no bugs. This was our fourth grove of Giant Sequoia trees on this vacation road trip and it was the smallest. While we enjoyed hiking to and looking at these giant trees I think we would have enjoyed it more if it was the first grove we visited and not the last (and it had the longest hike to reach a giant tree). From the parking lot you need to hike down a 1 mile old paved logging road to get to the grove of trees. Back in the day you could drive to this grove but I believe the cars were hurting the environment and the trees so they moved the parking lot next to the main road. The windy road to the trees has a gentle slope and you will lose about 500 feet in elevation by the time you are done (this makes the walk uphill back to your car much harder that the hike down). There are bathrooms next to the parking lot so use them before your hike as there are not any facilities at the grove (and it is a mile walk back up hill).

After you walk down to the grove there is shorter circle loop trail that meanders around the giant trees. I really enjoyed looking at the Dead Giant, a long-dead sequoia with a tunnel cut through it. There is also a cool looking tree that has a tunnel cut through the center so tourists from a couple of generations ago could drive through it. I recommend that you visit this small grove of Giant Sequins if you have never seen these awesome trees and are not planning on driving to the larger Mariposa Grove near the southern Park entrance.

4  Thank rockyjoe
"miles round trip"
in 6 reviews
"bring water"

Reviewed September 11, 2013

This 30 minute walk takes you down 400 ft in elevation to see the fantastically old and massive sequoia trees. There are several to see, and the nature trail is well signposted with interesting facts about what you can see around you. After walking the loop its another 30 minute walk back uphill to the car. Strongly recommended.

1  Thank Richard N
Reviewed August 19, 2013

After hiking the mist trail, we finished the day with a nice short hike through the gorgeous Sequoias. It will take about 1-2 hours to do the loop, but it's worth it. There's about 8 Sequoias to see, which was enough since we didn't have enough time to trek down to Mariposa Grove. Was a nice second best, which was the perfect way to end the day especially seeing the sunset through the trees

2  Thank SuzieQtee
Reviewed July 22, 2013

I had already visited the Mariposa Grove and I would definitely say that that is a great grove and I loved it. But it can be quite a drive from the Valley so if you want to see some sequoias near the valley, Tuolumne grove is a must. It is a bit of a hike down (1 mile, 500 feet of elevation change) so be aware that you have to hike back up. That can be challenging. But the grove is super impressive. It's quieter than the Mariposa Grove (at least in the Mariposa lower grove), and the trees are just as big. There's a 1/2 mile loop around the grove and you get to see around 25 sequoias. If you don't have the time to go see Mariposa Grove (I spent nearly 5 hours around Mariposa) and only have 2 hours or so, definitely hit up the Tuolumne Grove. Sequoias are a must-see!

3  Thank Laura S
See more reviews
Reviewed June 21, 2013

I have always wanted to walk through a giant sequoia, and got my chance on this hike. It is a mile downhill, and a longer mile uphill ;) The path is wide, smooth and shaded. You have to go all the way down to see the sequoias. We got there early- around 9:30, and even though there were people there, it felt like we had it to ourselves. The trees are majestic, there are huge pine cones, and a fallen tree with an opening wide enough to stand inside. We all really enjoyed the hike, even though the way up is a little tough. The good news is that it's much flatter by the time you are near the trail head, so we all had caught our breath and felt great again by the time we got back to the car.

2  Thank Jackie D