“Not the place for an experienced skier”

Yosemite Ski and Snowboard Area
Book In Advance
More Info
$374.00*
and up
2-Day Yosemite National Park Winter Tour from San Francisco
More attraction details
Owner description: California's oldest ski area can be found in the spectacular Yosemite Valley.
Reviewed February 2, 2013

This ski area is suited to a beginner or intermediate skier. If you are looking for powder snow this is not the place to come or if you want to have challenging skiing. From buying the ticket to getting rental gear to getting on the slopes, took around an hour. Yosemite Lodge also has a free shuttle service so there was no need for us to put chains on our car to get there. In fact we didnt need to use our chains at all in the park.

Reviewed January 23, 2013

Badger Pass is a very quaint resort within the Yosemite Park boundaries. If you are looking for lots of black diamonds and long runs, this is not the place for you. Even on the busiest days the slopes are still empty. You barely ever have to wait to get on a lift...there are only 3 :) I love coming here with my little ones, but I do miss tougher runs sometimes.

-Very nice and helpful staff. Many times they are from other parts of the world.
-Usually its easy and quick to rent gear. The exception to this is on major holidays and if you happen to arrive after a huge bus of tourists have arrived. I would recommend getting there early if you are planning on going on a holiday weekend.
-Unless you have a park pass, you will have to pay the $20 Yos. Park entrance fee.
-Badger also closes early in the season. Usually the first week in April.

Badger has a rich history and I would highly recommend combining a trip to the valley with a day skiing.

Reviewed January 23, 2013

If you require Black Diamond runs, or an extensive terrain park with half pipes and features, this is not the place for you. And may I say, thank goodness! Because I for one do not miss seeing arrogant expert skiers scowl at those less proficient than they, or hearing the whoosh of board on snow coming from behind me at much too high a speed as another out of control crazed youth nearly takes me out from behind.

I've taught all 3 of my sisters, and 3 grandchildren plus 2 boyfriends (their's not mine) to ski here over the years. And now that I'm a bit more "mature" (older!), and no longer desire those steep mogul filled runs myself, I find it perfect again. Virtually no lines, friendly staff inside and out, small ski school classes, and so much more affordable than the big Tahoe resorts. The little ski shop is good, the cafeteria has limited fare but a decent selection and decent quality too. Half the price of a meal at Sugar Bowl, that's for sure. (The staff at the cafe is the only exception to my earlier comment, I don't think I've met a happy one there. Friendly yes, but only if you make an effort to engage them, never happy.)

And did I mention it is in Yosemite?! Free shuttle bus to and from the Lodge at the Falls, or drive yourself. Parking lot so small it is never a long walk, that's how uncrowded the place is. And there are AWESOME cross country ski tracks laid down going out towards Glacier Point, and you can take snowshoe trips with a ranger (I highly recommend this!) from here too!

Reviewed January 22, 2013

My husbands family has been traveling and having fun at Badger Pass for over 30 years. We have just begun our adventures into skiing with our son who is 6 years old. We find the staff wonderful, helpful, and so sweet to us and our son. This is a place you can bring your family and spend the day making wonderful memories. It is a small resort, very compact but so family friendly. This ski resort is the oldest in the state of CA and the first if not the only ski resort in a National Park. The resort facilities are clean, organized and comfortable. The ski lessons are taught by some very very experienced and wonderful instructors. The key to having a wonderful time at Badger is to arrive early. The staff at Badger recommend this and they actually post this on their Facebook page.

Reviewed January 12, 2013

I enjoyed badger pass. We stayed in Yosemite west so it was a short drive. The staff were friendly and helpful. We went Thursday and Friday, so it was not busy at all. There was only a 5 minute wait to get registered and took 15 minutes to get fitted for the proper eqipment. 3 of us took a snowboarding lesson, which was the ' guarantee to snowboard package' which included board, bindings, lift ticket, and 2 lessons for $85. A great deal. Our instructor Zach was really helpful and patient, especially with my 47 year old mother. There was never a line for any of the lifts and the lift operators were helpful and always slowed down the lift when I signaled them too. The food was okay, but menu was really limited and not as expensive as I thought. The locals and staff were really friendly and when they saw us with $5 beers from the lodge cafeteria, they let us know that you can get beer from the lodge store next door for less then $2 a piece (no open container law)! The ski resort is tiny compaired to other resorts, but it was a great place to learn. It snowed both days, while we were snowboarding, so we had fresh powder to learn and to fall on. The entire family 2 years old to 55 years old enjoyed Badger pass. The location is beautiful. FYI don't forget your chains, it snowed everyday during the 4 days we stayed in the area (jan. 9-12). The park rangers were on chain control just before Yosemite and a lot of cars had to go down the hill a few miles and buy chains for over twice as much. I can't wait to go back :)

1  Thank Melia A