“An interesting and new experience” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Half Dome Village

and 1 more site!
Half Dome Village
Auckland, New Zealand
“An interesting and new experience”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 12, 2012

I have camped in Yosemite three times over the past 30 years and thoroughly enjoyed my stay in this stunning National Park.
This time I was travelling with two friends and we had booked a tent cabin for two nights; but on arrival in the States we heard about the virus outbreak and for safety my two friends decided not to stay at Curry Village but outside the Park at Oakhurst. I had saved for 5 years for this trip and wasn't going to be put off by a health risk (perceived or real) and my friends dropped me off at Curry Village as then headed out of the park at the end of our first day.
I dropped my stuff off in the cabin and walked up to Mirror Lake (dried up!!!) before heading back for the all you can eat buffet dinner in the canteen at Curry Village. The food wasn't restaurant quality, but adequate camp fayre to fill you up after a busy hot day.
The tent cabins are a form of up market comfy camping without having to sleep on the ground with a bed, chair, linen, towels, & a small safe for your valuables which was well thought out.
$107 a night is a bit steep compared with a motel; but you have to remember you are staying in an amazing valley with star lit nights, towering cliffs, and a wooded valley floor with deer wandering through. The smell of pine and breathing crisp mounbtain air makes $107 great value. I was just disappointed that it wasn't practical to stay the second night but it would have added too much additional mileage for my friends travelling in from Oakhurst.
Yes Curry Village does have the tents close together and the showers may struggle a bit in peak season but the staff keep the facilities clean & regularly serviced; but don't forget this is meant to resemble camping - even if it it at the comfy end of the camping experience spectrum. Go enjoy staying in one of the most beautiful valleies in the world and appreciate the opportunity to sleep under the stars with bears roaming close by.

Room Tip: I'd mark the fitness centre as world class - it is called Yosemite National Park - Go hike, cycl...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Lathkill

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (758)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Houston, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 11, 2012

In May 2012, my husband and I flew into San Francisco and took a drive up the California/Oregon coastline on our way to Seattle then to Yosemite. A couple of months before, we made reservations to stay in a tent-cabin at Yosemite National Park's historic Curry Village. Our cabin was clean and had a woodsy charm all it's own with a rustic electric lamp, metal leaf motifs on a dressing mirror, wooden floors, and a thicker than expected bed complete with nice sheets and a wool blanket for warmth. There was a heater as well for the cool nights. We had to keep all toiletries and foodstuffs in a bear locker located outside our cabin.

Curry Village is within walking distance of a dining hall/community center, showers, a tram stop, and has a great view of Yosemite Falls and some awesome cliffs nearby (we also saw the largest hand-sized dogwood flowers ever!). I would recommend purchasing a dining hall pass for the breakfast buffet since you will soon want to explore the wonderful park. The food was typical breakfast faire and was pretty good. The rustic dining hall had a John Muir photo, a life-sized stuffed black bear, and other historic memorabilia.

Unfortunately, Curry Village got a bad reputation from the rat disease outbreak during the summer but our experience was all good, clean, and comfy. Just remember that a tent-cabin is NOT a hotel but the friendly park staff helped us in any way they could. If you want a Yosemite hotel, there are other accomodations available. We will definitely stay in Curry Village again!

Room Tip: You may want to ask for a tent cabin away from the main walkway to keep the noise down. Ours was fac...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
New Orleans
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 8, 2012

While we were prepared to "rough it" a bit when we went to Yosemite, I would much rather have roughed it in a more remote area, and not with hundreds of other people in such close proximity. The tent cabins were comforable and fairly clean, but the bathroom/shower situation was disgusting. We actually stayed in Curry Village in mid-June, during the window of time when there was a risk of contracting the Hanta virus. Fortunately, none of us got sick, but I'm surprised more people did not catch something from the deplorable conditions of the showers. I do not feel that the price we paid for a tent cabin ($129) was at all worth it. There is no privacy. You would be much better off staying at one of the campgrounds. At least there you should have a little more space between you and your fellow campers. The one thing that Curry Village has going for it is location, location, location.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank lilpNewOrleans
Irvine, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 4, 2012

We stayed at the Stoneman House in Curry Village Sep 28-30, 2012. In the past, we had stayed in the tents at Curry Village, but this time we tried the Stoneman House. I couldn't find much information about this before we went. It is located just 30 yards from the Curry Village registration cabin. It is a one story dark brown building with a wraparound porch and maybe 20 rooms. Our room had 2 double beds and a bathroom w/shower. One of the reasons why I wanted to stay here instead of the tents was because of the bathroom/shower. The very small room was decorated in friendly cabin fashion with a chest of drawers and nightstand with chair. The beds were comfortable. The overhead fan was useful and we ran it constantly. The shower and bathroom needed some tilework and updating. But no matter what, this was a completely acceptable accommodation given our needs. The parking was a stone's throw away. The stores and eating and wi-fi areas were within 30-40 yards. The ice was free. The best trailhead was just down the road. At $224 per night, it was $$$, but it was so worth being inside the park on the valley floor and close to all that we needed. If you are considering Curry Village, ask for the Stoneman House.

Room Tip: Ask for a room located away from the outdoor ice machine
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank lisalajolla22
Gijón,Asturias
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 4, 2012

This campground was our fourth place in our trip around USA west coast, we stayed a couple days from 7 to 9 of september of 2012 and our cabin tent was 479, this cabin is a unheated cabin with shared bathrooms, we paid for that cabin tent 110 $ a day, but before starting my review YOU OUGHT TO KNOW THIS SUMMER (2012) YOSEMITE NATINAL PARK HAS ANNOUNCED 9 CASES OF HANTAVIRUS INFECTION IN PEOPLE who recently visited it.

Curry Village is amazing and unforgetable place, because you are inside the Yosemite National Park, you don´t need anything because in your cabin you will have enough things like fresh towels (every day the towels will be changed), a chair, two beds (with sheets and blankets and pillows) and only one bulb, and outside of the cabin you have a locker and you must put in your food and beverage to avoid the black bear, obviously This tent isn´t luxury but it´s enough for having good times.

This campground has a shared bathrooms and there are a lot of loos, sinks, showers (with shampoo and gel) and these restrooms are very clean but obviously it isn´t a private bathrooms.
Curry village has a lot of place for eating like a restaurant, pizza restaurant, grocery where you can buy food and different beverages, and other place where you can charge your laptop or camera and where you can work with internet because it´s free and when the night comes you can drink something while you watch your photos (and its amazing as well).

Finally my mark is three points because nobody told or gave any informations about the hantavirus until we got to Yosemite national park and one ranger told us that informations while we paid 20 or 25$ (I don´t remember very well) for coming to Yosemite national park.

All in all, I recomend it because this was the best place for us in our travel around USA west coast.
We will come back to Yosemite National park in the future.

Ahh Don't forget getting a padlock and a torch because you´ll need them and you can catch the free shuttle for moving around the Yosemite National park

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Polcio
london
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 3, 2012

I recently stayed in a tent cabin at Curry Village - firstly Yosemite is amazing and being in the valley is definitely worth it, it is quite a long drive in otherwise.

However I have to say that of all the places I have stayed in the world the tent cabins at Curry Village are the worst, don't get me wrong the showers were fine and the communal areas are OK.

My main issue is the cost, this place is obscenely overpriced. We paid over $200 for our two nights which is an off-peak rate, when booking also bear in mind you get an off peak service too. the pool closes on labor day (around the 4th of Sept I think) so despite it being hot we couldn't use the pool and for some unfathomable reason they still had a girl manning the desk giving out towels? In addition the most of the food service is either closed or on reduced hours, even the staff were commenting on how ridiculous the hours were.

Now the tent cabins... It has the appearance of more of a refugee camp as opposed to a camp site the tents are on average about 30-50cm apart. Most people behave but this means you are very close to 5 other tents so the possibility of being woken up by your neighbours is much higher than on less dense campsites. The tents themselves despite the well publicised issues don't look like they have had a proper clean in months. The beds are the most uncomfortable we have slept on when I took off the cover to put some padding between the mattress and the sheet I found the it was plastic topped and had been slashed and was stuffed with straw. I understand the need for durable mattresses in budget accommodation but in all the hostels I have stayed in I haven't slept on anything like this.

So if you want to stay in the valley look elsewhere I am sure the more permanent cabins and motel style rooms in Curry Village are fine just pay a bit extra and actually get something for the money you will be paying.

With the exception of the friendly girl who checked us in most of the other staff were largely disinterested, when we complained we got a fairly blank faced manager who wasn't listening to us. Eventually they did give us a partial refund on our nights stay but I won't be back.

Room Tip: Don't stay in a tent cabin
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
LA County
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 26, 2012

I just returned last week from my annual trip to Yosemite. This year I spent a week in the Curry tent cabins. If there was a year to go, this is it! Totally uncrowded in the tent area!
First the positives: I had a large tent in the far end of the property-no one around-no noise!
The restrooms the cleanest I've ever seen them. I used the "signature tent" showers-plenty of hot H2O. I got a very good deal for midweek(almost rivaled camping) and weekend - booked a little over 2 months in advance. The tent was very clean except for ledges/corners(dust only).

The negatives:
1: I think DNC/Curry is in a bit of denial about the Hantavirus-for example- on Sat 9/15 the NPS
was going around all of the campgrounds disinfecting all of the bear boxes. Curry wasn't doing this(I wiped out my bear box w/ hot H2O & bleach and duct taped the holes.

2: I had such a good tent because it was less than 2 years old-the cleaning is less than ideal. There is a certain amount of dust blow in because they are tents, afterall. However if I didn't know what to expect I would be absolutly shocked at the dirt on the canvas roofs of some of the tents (I'm not talking about the vinyl flys which are dirtier than usual because of lack of rain.
3: NO YELLOW TAPE AROUND CLOSED TENTS-I WANDERED AROUND FREELY LOOKING INTO THE AFFECTED TENTS!

Room Tip: Try to get a tent on the far(East) side of Curry-closer to parking(on the fire lane) If you go in t...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Yosemite View Lodge
Yosemite View Lodge
#1 of 2 in El Portal
3.5 of 5 bubbles 3,612 reviews

Been to Half Dome Village? Share your experiences!