My husband and I spent 5 nights at the Wawona hotel in June, 2004. We did not realize that it was such a hike to get to Yosemite Valley from here. The hotel had some old world charm, but was not what we had anticipated. We stayed in one of the cottages behind the main hotel, and had to share a bathroom/shower with several other people. The restaurant at the hotel was okay, but a little bit pricey. You have no choice but to eat there because there are no other restaurants in the area. The piano player playes at dinnertime at the main enterance-he is wonderful. It is fun to get a drink and just sit and listen to him One day, my husband and I bought some hot dogs and charcoal and grilled at a picnic area near the camp store up the street from the hotel. The golf course was small, but fun-probably more for beginners. At the end of our visit we wanted to find a river and go swimming. The front desk staff advised us to go to a little private spot where we could relax. It was so much fun jumping off the rocks into the river.
All and all, Wawona Hotel was a decent place to crash after a long and tiring day of touring Yosemite. It is an average hotel with very few amenities. It kind of reminds me of camping.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Big Trees Lodge is cherished as one of the most respected and most frequently visited Yosemite hotels. Its authentic Victorian architecture features beautiful white buildings, classic verandas and lush natural surroundings. At the Big Trees Lodge, there's something for everyone-including golf, tennis, horseback riding, or fishing. Evenings are spent gathered around the piano for musical performances in the lounge. Big Trees Lodge dining is open for breakfast, lunch and dinner. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz and Expedia so you can book your Big Trees Lodge reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Wawona Hotel Yosemite National Park
- Wawona Yosemite National Park