“I hated it kids loved it !”
Review of Housekeeping Camp

Housekeeping Camp
SW Wales. UK
“I hated it kids loved it !”
Reviewed December 7, 2013

What can I say about housekeeping camp to prepare you,
it’s in a beautiful location, staff are helpful all camping amenities are available. I have camped many times and I am not the world best outdoor camper, I hate creepy crawlies and the thought of bears coming to eat me at night, is not my idea of fun. But being a mother of 3 boys I really did not have much choice and I felt to have the true experience of Yosemite I would go with it. At seeing our accommodation for the first time I was truly taken aback at how basic it really was. I did not have high expectations but to best describe it, it was like a coal bunker with a small piece of material covering some of the front. Once it goes dark it’s really dark and if I’m honest I was scared, to make it worse we had a very noisy crying baby in the bunker next door which did not help, my boys were convinced that the bears would here the noise and come looking for its meal the baby next door ! Its probably the worse night’s sleep I've ever had I don’t think I slept a wink, total contrast were my boys who loved every second of it and can’t wait to return. The showers are a must in Curry Camp basic but well looked after, also to escape the heat the pool in Curry Camp was refreshing. Glacier point starry night tour was lovely, and to see the sun setting in such a beautiful location is unforgettable. Lots of information on arrival of what not to do read it and abide by it, we are visitors in this beautiful location it should be respected.
Our family on a two week road trip (2 adults & 3 children) travelled from Las Vegas to Grand Canyon to Lake Havasu, Los Angeles, Yosemite, Santa Cruse then San Francisco if you need advice planning a similar trip feel free to ask questions.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
9 Thank tam6572

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (212)
  • Korean first
Winchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 19, 2013

You get a 'cabin' with concrete walls and floor, and canvas roof and front flap, with basic beds, mattresses and bear-proof lockers. The cabins are set in blocks, so you are on top of your neighbours a bit. There's a fire-pit too, which was fun. It's cold when the sun goes down (which in the valley is quite early). You can hire bedding rolls, and there's perfectly adequate shower/loo blocks nearby, as well as a grocery store - and cafes at Camp Curry - walking distance further along the valley.
Probably the best way to use this is to turn up with all your camping kit, provisions, wood and charcoal etc so that you can be self-contained. We enjoyed it!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank Peter L
Irvine, California
Reviewed November 13, 2013

Fun way to explore yosemite. Its super close to gocery store, its in the yosemity valley. Me and my fds went there, we hike in the morning and had campfire at night. Bring some bear, food to BBQ, super awesome!

Room Tip: The 10 dollars extra is worth the money!
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Reno, Nevada
Reviewed October 23, 2013

Waking up to the birds singing and the beautiful views of half dome, feeling part of nature because you are right in the middle of it! H.C. was the best way if experiencing Yosemite
Tents very spacious with nice outside area and table. One of the best things was to be able to have a fire at night, one of the FEW places in Yosemite that allows that. Great experience in a beautiful place.

Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Arianna R
glasgow
Reviewed October 12, 2013

I admit I dismissed the bad reviews of this place as we do a lot of wild camping and I don't mind roughing it at all and reckoned too many people were being too precious.We had tried to get the higer camps but they were closed in October.In fact I was impressed with the idea of a camp with a proper bed and our own firepit.What I forgot was just how much I hate formal campsites.Camping wild gives you a chance to really relax in a beautiful,quiet place - easily making up for any mild discomforts. This place offers the opposite.If you don't mind being cheek by jowl with very noisy,loud-talking neighbours intent on making sure half the camp knows what a great time they are having,then you might be more kind about Housekeeping.We hated it.
I almost felt like turning the car round the minute we drove in,it looked so ugly and cramped.It's in the forest,making it seem very dark ,another dislike.The river setting(we were right beside it) is ok but nothing special - trees block off most of any view.For that reason it feels claustrophobic, to me anyway.No big open spaces.But then, Yosemite Valley is like that anyway and a major reason I couldn't wait to get out of it once we'd seen its sights from higher up.The camp's not cheap either,for what you get.
The deadpan greeting we got from the girl on the desk wasn't the best welcome but not a major factor in my opinion of the place.What was annoying was that we asked about hiring a stove and were put off by her saying, 'well, you don't have pots so there's no point'.In fact, we bought pots easily in the Village Shop about half an hour later.However,on our return, she said there was now no fuel left for the 2 stoves still available so....well, our hard luck I suppose.Very poor advice from this girl.
I have to say other staff we met were helpful.
I do think they need to separate groups from couples as groups tend to be quite noisy and couples aren't.I thought people came to Yosemite to enjoy the grandeur, nature etc but the mature group of 10 or so next to us seemed to see the place as party central,talking in incredibly loud voices as if they owned the whole place.The little fairy lights that decorated the 'old hands' tents all night throughout the camp seemed equally crass.
The 'tent' - a bit like a roomy prison cell - was clean enough, bedding was clean(though very cold at night, not a problem, slept with clothes on and hired more blankets) bed was comfy, firepit was nice - just too many noisy neighbours.Having looked at the alternative campsites, they seemed just as packed as sardines as we were and in poorer locations.Much of Curry Camp seemed to overlook an extremely busy car park, at best and tents were far more 'cheek by jowl' than we were - unbelievably so, actually.Oh.. and we had our firewood stolen from inside our exterior wall storage area, where we'd left it during the day.Clearly,some thieves around, as well as noisy beggars.
Given that this is the only way to stay in the Valley unless you pay a fortune at the lovely Ahwannee Hotel, I have to say the Valley is not an attractive place to be - a human circus of cars, packed parking areas, cyclists,shoppers,pack 'em in camps and one-way road systems,reflecting the sheer numbers - and this was October.
We cancelled our last (3rd night) as we'd seen what we wanted and couldn't wait to escape the madness.I never, ever thought I'd say this but leaving Yosemite and Housekeeping Camp was a complete relief.John Muir must be turning in his grave in terms of what the Valley has become.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
6 Thank Scotlandmac
Reviewed October 7, 2013 via mobile

We spent 2 nights at housekeeping camp. What a lovely way to see the national park. Waking up with the squirrels trying to steal every single crum of Breakfast in the morning, and dreaming away by the firepit overlooking the river at dusk. We came unprepared, but the camp provides everything- from pillows to firewood.

Stayed October 2013
1 Thank Filip D
New York City, New York
Reviewed October 5, 2013

WOW! When I found out that we would be camping in Yosemite on a trip to visit my Mom in Yosemite I had not idea what my kids (ages 8 and 6) and I were in for. Housekeeping Camp is right on the Merced River. If you can, look at the site map and try get a site right next to the river - although I have heard they book a year in advance, there ARE last-minute cancellations. Every moment outside your tent/site is breathtaking. We had Half Dome to the right when we stood outside our door. If we walked a little to the left (a few hundred feet) we had a beautiful view of Yosemite Falls. The beds were comfortable and the sites were clean. Lock your food up!
I have so much advice. Rent bicycles or bring them. Bring a raft or two if you can - you can tube down the River without renting rafts if you have them.
There were a few problems - we added on a night and switched tents. However, management wasn't going to let us go from one tent to the other and wanted us to put all of our supplies in the car for a few hours until they swept. It was a hassle having to explain to them that it made NO sense for us to do that. They need to be a little more flexible about the 'rules' in cases like this. Otherwise adding on an extra-night is not worth it.
Also, be prepared to stay up late - NOONE enforces quiet hours. This is a problem for me and the reason they didn't get the highest rating. We had neighbors screaming and singing all 4 nights until the early hours of the morning. It wasn't great. Otherwise, most of the people there are nice. The bathrooms are clean. Showers were high pressure and convenient. The lines moved quickly. I would go again in a heartbeat.

Room Tip: Choose a site ON the river, either close to the bridge or beach.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Yosemite View Lodge
Yosemite View Lodge
#1 of 2 in El Portal
Tenaya Lodge at Yosemite

Been to Housekeeping Camp? Share your experiences!