“Very unique "camping" experience”
Review of Housekeeping Camp

Housekeeping Camp
Reviewed September 3, 2013

One thing I'll say -- not surprisingly -- is that in July when we stayed there were a TON of people. Though personally it didn't bother us but we enjoy being around people when we camp. I felt like it was definitely a bit pricey for what you get though (but then again the park in general was kind of pricey). We paid about $100/night... and then a couple of bucks extra for a sleep pack (the additional amenities were pretty inexpensive). You could also rent a chair and they sold firewood right on the site.

The site itself has one bunk bed and one regular sized adult bed. Then there's also an outside area attached to the bedroom that has a table/bench... and of course you get your own fire pit.

It was a unique experience (easy to get lost though when you're trying to find your site again if you leave) -- but I think next time I'm going to try somewhere else.

The shower area was very clean -- just long lines most of the day.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Rache1128

Reviewed August 31, 2013

If you're OK with bears wondering around, it is a nice place to stay. Do not expect so much from the units which have walls on three sides and a curtain on the other. They provide clean sheets. Each unit has its own picnic table, firepit and bear lockers. There are shared bathrooms and showers a short walk away from the units. You can park your car in front of your unit. They advise you not to leave any food or bevarege, perfume, toothpaste, gum, etc. in your car or tour unit but to keep them in the bear lockers. No fire after 10pm. The best thing about the campground is to wake up in the morning in the heart of nature. The location of the campground is very close to many famous spots of the Yosemite Valley.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank BurArTu
Reviewed August 27, 2013

Overall I quite liked the place,

Lets me start with pros first... Location is amazing you can see the falls and half dome from here. You have lights, electrical fixtures, bed bunks and bear lockers. Bathrooms are clean and have nice showers too.
Coming to Cons the tents/cottages are a bit dirty specially the bedding.. I hope they clean them up nicely and also the walls are too thin. Even if you whisper in morning it can be heard in another room.

But its a camp and not hotel so I let go the thin walls part, but certainly the cleanliness can be improved.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank DivYadav
Reviewed August 26, 2013

This is a good choice, if you don't mind roughing it a little. The tent cabins have concrete (not dirt!) floors, actual beds, electric outlets and lights. There are excellent showers and small store in the campground. You can take the shuttle anywhere in the valley, but we tired of the shuttle quickly (long waits, packed like sardines) and tried to avoid when possible.

Just pack like you're camping, but leave the tent at home.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank CanyonCitySteve
Reviewed August 25, 2013 via mobile

Housekeeping camp was fine but in all honesty I'd try to get in to Curry village. Although we didn't see the tents/huts there that is where you have to shuttle bus to to get a drink or meal so we spent most of our time there. Tents in housekeeping camp are obviously basic but that was fine, but it was more the people/rules that annoyed me. As others have said it depends totally on what people you get next to you, and it seemed like there are a lot of noisy groups. On our first night a group on the other side of the camp were literally so loud it was as if they were having a party yet no one seemed to enforce the 'quiet after 10pm rule'. I don't want to sound dull and I'm only 30 but no point in having rules if they're not enforced. My biggest issue wasn't with the camp but the people. We had camp 147 which was next to a shower block which was convenient BUT people literally walked straight through our camp area, even at night with head torches on waking us up every time. I wish I'd have gone off on one at them to be honest but I could never get out of the tent quick enough! Great location but be prepared for a lack of sleep, not ideal if you have a long drive ahead.

• Stayed: August 2013
2  Thank Bear004
Reviewed August 19, 2013

We are NOT campers. But, Housekeeping was a great way to "camp" in the Yosemite Valley. If visiting the Yosemite Valley, you MUST stay in the valley if possible. However, accommodations are limited and hard to get. We got 3 nights for our family of 6 in one cottage in Housekeeping. There are 3 concrete walls with a fourth curtain wall that leads to a small covered porch that is partly fenced in . There is a light and outlet inside the unit and on the porch. Inside there is a queen bed, a bunk bed and some shelves. You can also fit 2 cots provided by Housekeeping, which allowed all 6 of us to fit, albeit tightly. On the porch there is a prep table and picnic table. you also get a fire pit with a grill cover and a large bear box for coolers and other equipment. Community bathrooms are nearby and a single community shower facility is a short walk. Two river beaches make for nice places to swim. It is rustic and sleep is somewhat dependent upon the type of neighbors you get. Some partiers are loud. But, the location is central to everything in the valley. We parked our car and biked everywhere, locking the bikes up at trailheads and hiking from there.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank William S
Reviewed August 14, 2013

I am not a camper, and I had very low expectations going into this, but it turned out to be great!! We reserved a riverfront unit a year ago. On arriving we were assigned our first unit. We found the unit, and it had a very nice view of the river. The fire ring was in an odd spot compared to the other units but that was not an issue. The units were closer together then I thought they would be. We unpacked our car, and as we did our "neighbors" arrived back to camp. Appearantly we were in the middle of a large group of...well, colorful characters. There were about a dozen adults and 4 or 5 little kids. The music they were playing (pretty loud) was not appropiate for our kids to hear (rap music full of F-bombs and the N word), and their kids ran right into our unit to check us out. Talking to the neighbors for a few minutes, they seemed nice, but it was not an atmosphere I wanted my kids in and they were going to be there for 2 more days. I went up to the office to get assigned a new unit. Since we were booked for a number of nights, it was difficult for them to find another available riverfront unit for us to move to, but Dan was awesome and after trying many options found us a great unit. We moved to the new unit and it was in a great location next to the beach. All our new neighbors were nice, we were by another large group staying in two units, but they were very respectful of those around them. The beds were comfortable and the shelving was nice to have for keeping organized during our stay. The lights and power outlets were great to have - though we got no cell service there I use my phone as a camera and needed to charge it nightly. The fire ring had a grill that could be used. The store on site had a good variety of items, and the prices seemed very fair. The only thing I did not like were the showers. For women there was always a long line. The showers were SLOW draining and very dirty, but in fairness, I did go at the end of the day (maybe they are better earlier) It's nice that they do offer towels, but bring your own, you will be glad you did. All the staff we encountered were so nice and helpful. I thought the camp was very well run by a group that really cared about their guests. Great central location for everything we did while in Yosemite.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
#2 of 2 in El Portal
Yosemite View Lodge
Yosemite View Lodge
#1 of 2 in El Portal

Been to Housekeeping Camp? Share your experiences!