“Coyote Walk was awesome!”
Review of Cozy Bear Cottages

Cozy Bear Cottages
Reviewed October 2, 2010

Our stay here far exceeded our expectations. I was a bit concerned about the cleanliness of this place after reading reviews on Tripadvisor. I didn't see any cobwebs or dust anywhere. We stayed in Coyote Walk. The house was very clean. One of the first things I check, when I stay somewhere, are the bathrooms. There are two bathrooms in the house and they were very clean! The house was pretty roomy (there were 4 adults and a small child in our party). There are 2 bedrooms (each with it's own bathroom), large kitchen, dining area, and living room. There is also a deck outside with a bbq grill, seating area and umbrella. I loved the kitchen because we were able to make a few meals instead of eating out. The kitchen had everything you needed if you wanted to stay in and cook. The living room had a small TV, DVD player, and small assortment of DVDs. There is also a washer/dryer in one of the bathrooms. I will definitely stay here again next time we're in Yosemite!

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank liberrygal

Reviewed September 23, 2010

Cozy Bear Cottages was well situated for the extended hiking we did while touring the amazing Yosemite National Park. We had a two bed one bath cottage with an oudoor covered patio plus kitchen and large livingroom for five. Grandma Grandpa Mom Dad and six month old baby stayed comfortably in the roomy beary decorated home. The decor is winsome and inviting. I would return to Cozy Bear Cottages on our next trip to Yosemite.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank paristorome2
Reviewed September 6, 2010

Our family of four recently stayed at Cozy Bear Cottages for two nights while exploring Yosemite. The duplex was clean with a well stocked kitchen. Having access to a washer/dryer was very beneficial. The best thing about our stay at Cozy Bear Cottages was the location. Being in Yosemite West where it is quiet & peaceful was very relaxing after spending the majority of the day in Yosemite Valley with tons of other tourists. It was nice to still be in the park and not have such a far drive to the areas of interest. It took us less than 30 minutes to get to Glacier Point, about 40 minutes to Mariposa Grove, 30 minutes to Yosemite Valley & a little less than 2 hours to return from Tuolomne Meadows. Traffic was never heavy & since we were there over a weekend, we were only bothered with the road construction the night we were returning from Glacier Point. If you are looking for a place to stay that is away from the hustle & bustle of Yosemite Valley, then I would contact the nice couple at Cozy Bear Cottages to see if they have a vacancy.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed August 16, 2010

Good Location...away from the crowds....well equipped house and kitchen…restful when we where there….Very happy with the choice…when I return to Yosemite I will check to see if this is available. Highly recommend this property!

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed July 1, 2010

I can't say enough to describe the positive experience we had at Cozy Bear Cottage - North. The cottage was clean, well laid out, and the bed I slept in was VERY comfortable. It's location inside the park is perfect for visiting any area you wish to see. The owner (Neal) was a delight to talk with and very friendly. I'll stay there again when our next trip comes around.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 27, 2010

I searched high and low on this site and on several sites offering Yosemite lodging before settling on the Coyote Walk house at Cozy Bear Cottages for a two-day visit to Yosemite with my family of four adults in late April, and we were not disappointed. Below is my summary broken down by category:

SERVICE: Before arrival I was sent two mailings by Cozy Bear, each with a credit card receipt (pay 50% at time of booking, 50% 30 days prior plus a refundable $200 cleaning fee) and one with a map to the cottages, a brochure on Coyote Walk, and a sheet for the cottage policies (and how to make sure you get back the $200 cleaning deposit). When we arrived at the house, there was a little mailbox by the front door with an envelope clipped to it with my name on it and the keys to the house and dumpster inside. It was snowing when we were there, and we noticed that the driveway and the stairs up to the front door were kept reasonably free of snow/ice. We never saw the innkeeper, which I did not mind personally, although some people might feel differently. I guess we could have gone next door to the innkeeper's house if we needed anything, but we didn't have a need. So I guess I would say service was minimal, but sufficient for our needs.

ROOMS: The house had a small bedroom with a queen bed and a bathroom on the ground floor, a kitchen, dining area, and living room with beautiful forest view on the second floor, and a large bedroom loft open to the living room on the third floor with a king bed and attached bath. There was also a nice, partially covered porch outside, but it was snowing most of the time we were there, so we didn't use it. There is one flight of steps to get from the top of the driveway up to the front door of the house, so keep that in mind if you have limited mobility. There was a table with umbrella on the porch, so I imagine it would be possible to eat breakfast there when the weather is nice. The house was decorated simply in a somewhat masculine, Southwestern style with vintage Buffalo Bill prints, animal horns and skulls, and with patchwork quilts on the beds; it was attractive, and better than what I had expected from the comments of previous reviewers. Reviewers had said the house was terribly dusty and dirty, but we really didn't think it was that bad. There were a few cobwebs on the lighting fixtures, I did see some dust under the beds since I bothered to look, and there were a few cooking utensils and pots that I rewashed since there were a few spots on them, but everything else seemed pretty clean to me. The beds were fine and pretty comfortable, and there was a couch in the living room that was also comfortable for sleeping. I slept in the first-floor bedroom, and the only problem I had was the floorboards creaking when people were walking above, since I'm a light sleeper, but it would be fine if people stay out of the living room at night.

LOCATION: The cottages are on a forested, two-lane road off of Hwy 41 which is in a quiet neighborhood lined with other vacation rental homes/ski chalets and permanent residences. The cottages are located 10 miles from the main Yosemite Valley but still inside the park, and it took us probably 20 minutes or so to reach all the major attractions from our cottage by car. We took the East entrance into the park on Hwy 140 (a gorgeous drive!), and it took us maybe 45 minutes to reach the cottage from there. We took the Southern entrance out of the park on Hwy 41 (a less spectacular drive than the Eastern entrance - not as much to see except Wawona Hotel and Mariposa Grove, which was snowed under at the time), which took a little longer to reach I think - maybe an hour. The cottages are also about a 5-minute drive from the Badger Pass ski area and Glacier Point Rd, but we didn't go skiing and Glacier Point Rd was closed due to snow. The park was not too crowded when we were there, probably due to the snowy weather and the volcano in Iceland preventing European visitors from flying in. So driving wherever we wanted to go without too much traffic was not a problem, although we did park at either Ahwahnee Hotel or Curry Village a few times and took the free shuttle to some of the sights where there was no parking. All of the major roads and the roads to the cottages were kept well plowed, and we did not have to use snow chains, although I was carrying them. All in all I would give the location five stars, although I'm sure the driving times I've given are probably shorter than it would take during peak season in the summer when the park is crawling with people and cars. We really enjoyed seeing the park with some snow and fewer people though - we thought it was a great time of year to visit.

AMENITIES: There was a nice TV with a DVD player and a selection of DVD's in the living room (plus more you could get from the innkeeper if you wanted). There was also a nice bookcase with a selection of books, including a few Yosemite guides, one of which I took with me on our day trips, and it came in very handy for planning some quick hikes. The books were very helpful in particular, because there is no Wi-Fi in the house, although I think you can use the internet at the innkeeper's house if you ask. There was a woodburning stove, which would've been nice to use in the cold weather, but I think we would've been expected to clean up after ourselves if we had used it, so we left it alone. There is supposed to be a laundry room, but we didn't use it or see it; it was probably in one of the closets on the second floor. The top amenity in my opinion was the kitchen, which was fully equipped with dinnerware, pots, pans, utensils, toaster, coffeemaker, dishwasher, fridge, stove, a few cleaning supplies, etc.. We bought groceries outside the park (much cheaper that way) and prepared all our meals at the cottage, which I think really saved us a lot of money. We did have lunch at the Ahwahnee Hotel one day, and it was pretty good but also outrageously expensive. I was really glad we had brought our own supplies. Note that you have to clean, dry, and put away anything you use in the kitchen and empty the trash when you leave in order to get back the $200 cleaning deposit. The poorest amenity in my opinion was the hot water. There were four of us in the house, and only enough hot water for about two people in the mornings. Granted, it was freezing outside when we were there - maybe it's easier to heat up more water when the weather is warmer - also, my parents insisted on taking baths rather than showers, so that might have used more hot water than usual. In any case, I didn't get a shower in the two days I was there. So boo on the lack of sufficient hot water; at least the heat in the house was okay. Last note on amenities: the driveway could fit two or three cars, which was nice, but it was fairly steep, and I banged the bottom of my car trying to park on the flat space at the top of the drive, so be careful with that.

OTHER FUN STUFF: We had hoped to see some wildlife at the cottage. We did spot a coyote in the backyard one evening, which was pretty exciting. We also heard a pack of coyotes howling very close outside the cottage both nights we were there; I guess there's a reason the cottage is called Coyote Walk. The coyotes didn't bother us though; we had just gone to bed both nights when we heard them and were still awake, and as soon as we turned on some lights in the house, they went silent, and we didn't hear them again.

OVERALL VALUE FOR MONEY: I thought Coyote Walk was a fantastic deal for the money compared to other lodging options in the park. The Ahwahnee Hotel is ridiculously expensive (over $500/night for one room with 2 double beds), although people said nice things about it, and the location is in the middle of everything. Yosemite Lodge offered centrally-located rooms with two double beds starting at around $250/night, but a good number of people said horrible things about it, I was not impressed with the look of it when I drove by, and again, it would've been four adults crammed into two, small beds in a single room with one bathroom. All the other lodging in Yosemite Valley was either camping in a tent or in cabins with canvas sides, which would not have worked for our family with two, aging parents, especially when it's snowing in the park. So in my view, Coyote Walk was perfect - a whole house 20 minutes from the major sights for $250/night for four people with the option to save more money by preparing your own food. I saw a few other properties that looked similar to Cozy Bear Cottages on TripAdvisor and other sites that are probably decent, but I have to say I was happy with this one and would stay here again happily.

BEST THINGS ABOUT COYOTE WALK: Close to major sights in the valley, beautiful surroundings, great kitchen to prepare your own meals, whole house to ourselves, great value compared to other lodging in the park

WORST THINGS ABOUT COYOTE WALK: Not enough hot water for four people in the mornings (at least in frigid weather), no Wi-Fi in the house (must go to the innkeeper's), steep driveway and steps up to the main house that were somewhat scary in snowy weather

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled with family
3  Thank kfcooke
Reviewed October 18, 2009

Cob webs galore
Would you use a greasy ironing board stored by the stove?
Dried food on pots and pans, and place mats.
Had to wash all dishes and silverware before using
Dust and grease on stove knobs
Crumbs on kitchen floor
Hairs in bathtub
Comforters on beds filthy

Other issues

Small snake found in unit

Some kind of capsules (containing who knows what) in the portable crib my grand daughter was to use

To cap it off I was bitten by one of their dogs when I brought the key back to check out, and I don't recall an apology. .
i

Rush Creek Lodge
Rush Creek Lodge
#2 of 7 in Groveland
Best Western Plus Yosemite Gateway Inn

Been to Cozy Bear Cottages? Share your experiences!