“El Capitan Meadow”

Private Yosemite National Park Day Trip from San Francisco
$149.42*
Yosemite in a Day Tour from San Francisco
More attraction details
Owner description: Challenging, popular rock to climb in Yosemite.
Reviewed April 22, 2013

When planning out my trip to Yosemite, I had read that some people like to sit out in the El Capitan Meadow and watch for climbers climbing the 7,569 foot vertical rock formation. So I planned a quick 30 minute stop for us to check it out on our last day in the valley as we headed towards Tuolumne Meadows.

We ended up staying for about 3 hours, lying in the meadow, with binoculars pasted to our faces. There was another man in the meadow when we arrived. He had one of those very professional giant telephoto lenses and was waiting for his son, who was climbing El Capitan to emerge from behind the tree coverage. His son's climbing party was a little late, and I was amazed at how calm he was. Turns out he is a rock climber, too.

He let us look through his incredible lens at another climbing party that had just reached the Texas Flake, and even with his lens the climbers are still so tiny against the sheer expanse of granite.

As the hours went by, other people come and go. We got to talk with lots of climbers who had climbing trips that year, and learned a lot about the technical climbing details. We also got a good idea of what it might be like to be up there, camping in a tent that is basically swinging around thousands of feet in the air.
Gives me the shivers just thinking about it.

I never realized that climbing could be such an interesting spectator sport, but I spent 2.5 hours watching the climbing parties that day. Cheering them on, holding my breath, saying little prayers for them. What an interesting breed.

Bring good binoculars, because El Capitan makes people look like ants. If there is no one there to point out where the climbing parties are, I found that looking for the colorful gear bags was easier than trying to look for the climbers.

3  Thank thePeste
Write a ReviewReviews (1,059)

Reviewed April 16, 2013

on the face of El Captain you see excellent rock climbing on a 3000 ft high vertical drop. Great to take pictures (don't forget your zoom lens)

Reviewed April 14, 2013

We played in the meadow across from El Capitan and found formations in the rocks.....heart, arm, etc. 1 and 3 year old boys enjoyed running into the woods looking for tracks. The size of the rock was stunning.

1  Thank Edie L
Reviewed April 11, 2013

You can't miss it ... it commands the valley. Great photo-op ... check out horsetail falls, too ... paved walkways and wide car pull-offs. You can walk a paved path from one end of the face front to the other. Bring your binoculars to watch the climbers

Reviewed April 5, 2013

this was a stunning massive valley with great stunning views the whole valley the whole area is well worth the visit. i will be back again