My husband and I just got back from a three-night stay at the Ahwahnee (Jan 25-28). After reading some of the recent reviews, I was a little concerned, but happily, we were quite pleased with our stay.
Everyone from the bellmen, to the desk clerks, to the waiters went out of their way to be friendly. Fifteen minutes after we were shown to our cottage, we received a call from the desk asking if everything was to our satisfaction, and did we need or want anything additional.
We stayed in a cottage (because we wanted to be away from large crowds, noisy children, etc.), which was located maybe 100 yards from the hotel. Our cottage had a main room, maybe 15 or 16' by 15' or 16' square, which contained a king size bed, an armoire with drawers, a TV and a mini-fridge, an upholstered armchair and ottoman, and a round table and two chairs. Behind the main room was a combination dressing area/desk and closet, with ironing board, safe and coffee pot in a space about 4-5' by maybe 8'. Next to that was a "hall" area with a full length mirror, about 3' by 6'. This area would open to the room on the other half of our cabin if we were a large family that required additional room and bath. On the other side of this hall was the bathroom (toilet and bath/shower) separated by a door from the sink/vanity. So basically, you have a front room, and 3 smaller 'room/areas' behind it. Assuming the adjoining cabin had the same set-up (we didn't see it), the bathrooms/dressing areas provided a great buffer, and we didn't hear the people in the other half of the cabin.
Our cabin was clean, the bed was comfortable with down comforter and feather pillows, the carpet appeared either new or fairly new. The tile in the bathroom was clean, not cracked or broken (as some of the other reviews stated). Hot water was almost immediate in the shower.
The only "faults" with the cabin would be that the heat is controlled by a wall heater in the main room (and an additional moveable heater that looks like an electric radiator). There isn't a thermostat, so we found ourselves waking up during the night to turn off the heater. Along the same lines, the tile floors in the bathroom/sink area are VERY cold at night/morning. Wear slippers or put down your towels! Also, the supplemental exhaust fan in our bathroom was quite loud. But these are minor things as far as I'm concerned, and this is winter.
We were out hiking most of the time, and only ate one meal at the Ahwahnee. We had dinner on Saturday night. The dress code did not seem to be as strict as advertised, but people did dress nicely (no jeans). Food was pricey, but no more so than at a nice restaurant in the city. And the food we had was very good, with generous portions. We were not rushed and we enjoyed our meal. We did find that drinks in the lounge/bar were high -- about $8.50-$9.50 for a cocktail.
As for computers, the only area with wi-fi coverage is in the great room, and it is free.
We enjoyed our stay -- it was not inexpensive -- but the trade-off is that we were handy to everything in the Valley, either by walking, driving or taking the free Valley Shuttle, and we didn't spend any money on anything else besides some quick meals and snack food during our stay.
Would we stay at the Ahwahnee again? Absolutely.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Majestic Yosemite Hotel shines as Yosemite National Park's distinctive AAA(R) Four-Diamond hotel. Known for its magnificent façade and architecture, The Majestic Yosemite Hotel was specially designed to highlight its natural surroundings, which include Yosemite Falls, Half Dome, and Glacier Point. The destination of queens and presidents alike, this distinctive Yosemite hotel offers a perfect balance of history, hospitality, and elegance. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Orbitz, Travelocity, Hotwire, Cancelon, Cheap Tickets, getaroom.com, TravelUp and HotelQuickly so you can book your The Majestic Yosemite Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Ahwahnee Hotel Yosemite National Park
- Ahwahnee Yosemite National Park
- Ahwahnee Hotel Yosemite National Park