“Room with a view”

The Majestic Yosemite Hotel
Reviewed August 2, 2013

If you must stay in the park at the Ahwahnee, stay in room 450 with a great view. We had dinner on the verandah and watched the moon and stars come to life. The hotel is very expensive and it has lost some luster from the high ranks of yesterday. The concierge was very helpful. If you are only going once, pay the bucks for room 450.

Room Tip: Room 450 only
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for The Majestic Yosemite Hotel

Reviewed August 2, 2013

We spent a weekend at the Ahwahnee. You feel like stepping back into history. It is a majectic building. I think they do a great job keeping it the way it was when they built it.
We had a wonderful dinner at the Lodge. The staff is so proffesional and helpful, hard to find these days ! Our dinner was excellent served by expeerienced waiters . We looked out into the meadows and saw some deer grazing. It was a perfect evening.
We stayed in one of the cottages. It is not your ultimate luxurious room, but has all the amenties one needs. The bathroom was very spacious and looked like it had just been remodeled.

We went up there to see the awsome sights . I did not expect it to be the best luxury Hotel ever, but considering its surroundings, I think they do a good job balancing the history of the place and keeping it in pretty good conditions. I do agree that the rooms in the cottage could be a bit more" uplifting", maybe a new paint job ?
It is a bit pricey but then you are spending time in a very special place that leaves you with great memories.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 31, 2013

The good:

Location - but everyone knows this. It is beautiful everywhere you look.

The front desk - The person who checked us in was wonderful. And her manager on duty was great too.

Valet- excellent. He gave my husband thorough directions for a site he wanted to drive to.

The OK:

The room- It was in a good location on a corner, but far from the elevator. And for the price of the room it was rather small - but - it had a great closet. The bathroom was quite small with definitely not enough counter space to store things comfortably. (eg. your toiletries) Again...all I can say is thank goodness for the great closet.

The restaurant off the lobby - just ok. We needed to eat lunch and it was just ok. The server was excellent. We were going off to a tour of the park and she made sure we had our food served quickly.

The Bad:

Dining Hall - Well this is good and bad for the Dining Hall. First of all the Ahwahnee Dining Room is so beautiful and even though it is overpriced you really should go there. We went for dinner which is very expensive and then we went to breakfast the next morning.

For dinner we had a waiter who is nice, but a bit pushy and not very professional. I was so surprised because when it came time to clear the salad plates the waiter stood there with our dinner in his hands. We needed to pick up our plates and wait for his hands to be free so he could take the plates from us. Never have I experienced this lack of etiquette in an upscale dining room. I think he has worked there for years and he just probably wants or needs to retire. The reason I said he was pushy was because when I ordered my drink I asked for the small size cocktail and he said...oh you should get the next size up since this is so small. I said that was fine and yet he told me again how small it was. I finally had to tell him two times that I just don't drink that much.

Also when I told him that my daughter had a nut allergy he wanted to know who had taken my reservation because they were supposed to have asked me about allergies when I called in. I told him the person taking the reservation was very nice and it was not a big deal since I was telling him. He seemed irritated by this interaction, but I did not want to make a fuss about it.

This waiter made a very expensive evening not so pleasant. Thank goodness the Dining room is so pretty...otherwise I would never have gone back. The food was just ok for those prices.

NOTE: the next morning we had a great breakfast at the same dining room. AND GOOD NEWS .. we had a woman waiter and she was polite and attentive. Still high prices...but the food was good. They have a brunch and you can order off the menu.

The phone operator - was not so great or patient when I called to ask for help with the wifi. To put it nicely she seemed frustrated and short with me. I eventually went downstairs with my computer and the man at the front desk was very helpful.

Check out time: There was no budging with the check out time. We wanted to have lunch at the hotel and we had to be out of the room at the same time. Just a disappointment when you pay so much and you are in the room such a little time.

Would we come back? - Back to Yosemite - YES...but probably not to this hotel. I just cannot justify the price. We were there for one day and I am glad to say I stayed there....and I am embarrassed to say that I paid that high price to stay there. The location of this hotel is amazing and if they lowered the price I would go back.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank moe88
GnrlMgr, General Manager at The Majestic Yosemite Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 2, 2013

Good afternoon Moe88,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share all the great details of your stay. I am glad to see that overall, you enjoyed your stay and apologize for the shortcomings you experienced.

I am hoping you might be willing to share a little bit more information regarding your dinner in the Main Dining Room. Specifically, I would like to know what date you dined and what name the reservation was under. With this information, we will be able to ascertain who the server was and coach them. I assure you that our standard is that we clear the previous course's plates before serving the next, as well as not act irritaged when our guests let us know of any allergies. You can email me that information to barcher@dncinc.com.

I can certainly appreciate our prices are high. I am happy to report that we offer some great rates in January, February and March. The park is very quiet, tthe days are crisp, and he falls are flowing.

Kind regards,

Reviewed July 30, 2013 via mobile

I have just stayed in two Cottage rooms with my family (two children 11/15 and two adults) for three nights. The Cottage rooms are described as "Rustic" well they aren't they are in fact tired and in need of a desperate overhaul. They were dirty with ripped blinds and filthy carpets. The air conditioning units are positioned to blow across the bed which is mad when you want to sleep due to a very cold breeze. The bathrooms were dirty with a build up of grime in most area. The air conditioning didn't work in one of the rooms as well!
The staff were very good and very helpful at all times.
The restaurant was very nice with average over priced food.
Overall I think the management need to look at themselves and invest in what could be a top hotel. At the moment it's clear they are just milking the customers for every cent thy have!

• Stayed: July 2013
Reviewed July 30, 2013

This is a magnificent hotel. The rooms are spacious and beautifully maintained. Nestled in the park, it allows you to experience all the glory of Yosemite but then have an amazing spot to return, a spot where you are pampered and well fed. Our kids loved it. It has the essence of a five star hotel while maintaining the feel of the landscape around it. A seminal American experience.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Kate K
Reviewed July 26, 2013

This is an amazing hotel experience. The building, maintenance, ambience, attitude and service show superb management. Food is very good considering the large volume of meals served. Smiles on faces everywhere. First good nights sleep in a week. We were guests of our family for our 50th wedding anniversary , and stayed July 18-19. We were treated like royalty! The views of Yosemite are awesome.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank thegrands2324
GnrlMgr, General Manager at The Majestic Yosemite Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 29, 2013

Good morning thegrands2324,

I am so glad to hear that you had a wonderful time. Thank you for posting your positive experience with us and I am happy that we were able to give you your best night's sleep in a week. Don't be a stranger. If you are ever in our neck of the woods again, please feel free to reach out to me.

Warm regards,

Reviewed July 23, 2013 via mobile

We visited this week for the first time and were struck by the magnificence of the surroundings and of the hotel itself. It is a genuine old-time luxurious hotel.

Step outside, and you have views of the iconic mountains and even deer and other wildlife freely roaming. Inside, the place is gorgeous, in that elegance of decades past. The staff are very nice.

We stayed in one if the cabins-it's about as close as Ill come to camping-they're well appointed and the beds/pillows and linens are very nice. Also, the room ac unit was very quiet-a pleasure to sleep here.

We loved the bar-had a great meal there while sitting outside admiring the view. We also ate in the dining room. I loved the room itself and the waiters in formal attire. I didn't love our waiter, however, as I found him lacking in any sort of warmth or interest-not good traits in a waiter. Our food there was good, but honestly overpriced for the meal we had. I think $48 is just too much for a breaded pork chop, bit of mashed potatoes and green beans-don't you?

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank MelindaDunmore

Good morning MelindaDunmore,

Thank you for taking the time to post your positive review after staying with us. I am happy to hear that you had a wonderful time overall.

I was disappointed to read that your server did not take good care of you. I expect our team here at the hotel to exhibit Gracious and Friendly service, one of our ten Universal Service Standards. Might you feel comfortable in letting me know the name of the server or give me the date and name of your reservation. I will then be able to coach this server on the finer points of taking care of our guests. If you are able to do so, you can reach out to me at barcher@dncinc.com. I am happy to report that we have just implemented a new dinner menu and it is receiving rave reviews from our guests.

All the best,

White Chief Mountain Lodge
Yosemite View Lodge
Yosemite View Lodge
#1 of 2 in El Portal

Been to The Majestic Yosemite Hotel? Share your experiences!