“All rooms are not the same”

Yosemite Valley Lodge
GreenLeadersSilver level
Orange, California
“All rooms are not the same”
Reviewed October 15, 2006

Reserved a "deluxe room" for 170.00 a night. I was told that the rooms had been recently refurbished so I was expecting a newer and fresher room. We were very disappointed. We were placed in the Eldeberry building and although it was clean, the room is dark and in disrepair. The furniture is beaten up, the floors are carpet tiles, the windows don't open and the patio is just "yuk". The parking is open to all visitors so if you can't get a spot near your building, you have to park across a street.
I found out that the lodge took hand me down furniture from the Tenaya Hotel outside the park after the Tenaya refurbished. (I knew the furniture looked familiar) I also learned that two buildings at the lodge have been remodeled and are clean and bright, so if you stay there ask for either the Willow building or Manzanita buildings. I understand that Yosemite is about the outdoors but who wants to feel creepy at night in a room?
On a brighter note, everything else was great. The restaurants were good, there's internet access in the bar and in the lobby and the front desk people were very nice. However, I still feel like I was burned for the price and will never stay at the Yosemite Lodge again.

• Liked — the restaurants
  • Disliked — the room
  • Stayed October 2006
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
5 Thank 06Sandy

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (960)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Portishead, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 8, 2006

We stayed here for two nights in September and wished we stayed for longer.

I paid extra for a river view room. Other posters mention different building names but I am unsure what ours was. It was the furthest block up the hill!!

Our room had two queen sized beds, air con, fan, fridge, basic kitchen, large bathroom, fireplace and the best aspect was the patio which had a great view of the river. (Although they could have cut the trees back a little).

The reception staff were ok when we checked in and I never had cause to return until we checked out.

During the day we would go up to the park and take in the views. One walk well worth doing is the one up to Glacier point it is 4.8 miles one way. It was really hard work but the views from the top made the hard work worth it.

One of the other works we did was inspiration trial which is a 2.6mile round trip and at the top we saw three mountain lions which was scarey.

The hotel has a few pools and spas and it was great to sit in the spa in the evening looking up at the sky. It was so relaxing.

Food wise at the hotel we went basic and had pizza. It was however one of the nicest pizza's I have had. For breakfast we just had cereal and sat out on our patio.

We normally go for cheaper hotels however I am glad we paid the extra and stayed at this hotel.

When we return to Yosemite we will stay at this place again

• Liked — The whole Yosemite experience
  • Disliked — The cost of the room
  • Tips/Secrets — Contact them directly and ask for the nicer rooms.
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Chris P
Newcastle Upon Tyne, UK
Reviewed October 7, 2006

We weren't expecting luxury and we didn't get it. However, the rooms were fine, location spectacular! Beautiful views from the back of the rooms! We were a 30 second walk from a beautifully clear river! Excellent! The food court was pretty bad but on food court terms it was pretty average. Overall, an average hotel.

Stayed August 2006
2 Thank me352
north carolina
Reviewed October 2, 2006

We stayed on a Thursday in a family room in a building right beside the office. It was a large room with a double, 2 twins and a couch. It had a nice little sitting area, a refrigerator, and a dining table. It had a separate bathroom and shower room. There was a double vanity in the main room. The room was fine. No problems with racoons or other critters. It was a warm day and the room was rather warm when we first went to bed but cooled off as the night went on. It was a short walk to the food court, and we ate dinner there. The food was just okay. We also ate breakfast there the next morning. Again just okay. We had drinks in the Mountain Room bar and enjoyed the amosphere. We took a the tram tour of the valley that started in front of the office and really enjoyed this. We were on the last one of the day and the ranger said it was her favorite one each day.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — no airconditioning, no coffee pot
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled as a couple
3 Thank lovingcarolina
Philadelphia
Reviewed September 24, 2006

I stayed at two different rooms while at the Lodge, and now can understand the mixed reviews. When we arrived we were given a corner room in the Juniper building. It was not too nice. I'm usually not too picky, and didn't plan on spending much time in the room anyway, but for the price you pay I expected something better. I went back to the front desk to ask about changing rooms. I have to say the front desk staff is exceptional! They were so nice. Unfortunately, they didn't have anything else available for that night, but told me to come back if I wanted a different room for the 2nd night. I wasn't going to bother doing that since we would be outside most of the time. Then I peeked in one of the other building rooms when the maids were cleaning...I couldn't believe the difference! I went back to the front desk staff the next day at noon, and sure enough they allowed us to change rooms - into the Willow building. Great location! The bathroom was much bigger - with a full tub, and we had glass sliders out onto the deck. So, when you check in be sure it's not a corner room! Ask to change immediately and the helpful staff will do all they can to make your stay a pleasant one!

• Liked — Location!
  • Disliked — First room was not too nice
  • Tips/Secrets — If you don't like the room they give, try to change it!
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled with family
8 Thank Phillygirl5
Twin Cities, MN
Reviewed September 22, 2006

We stayed here two nights in September 2006 after having spent a night at Tioga Pass Resort in Lee Vining outside of the park (see review) and two nights in a tent cabin at Tuolumne Meadows lodge (see review). The two nights here were our final two nights in Yosemite.

We booked through the national park service website with no problems, and paid about $180/night (not including various taxes). I thought this was quite expensive, for what was really a basic motel room. However, there is no negotiating on the price, and the other options (tenting or tent cabins) weren't what we wanted for our last nights.

The Lodge check-in area is in one building, which is surrounded by various gift shops and two restaurants. The rooms for guests are contained in buildings similar to motels - typically two-stories tall, with about 10 units on each level.

Our room was located in the "Juniper" building. I noticed that some of the other buildings had nicer accomodations than ours (e.g. the "Hemlock" building). I'm not sure what one has to do to obtain the nicer accomodations; when I asked about it, I was given no choice. We had (at our request) two double beds. The room had a television, telephone, full bath, separate vanity area, hairdryer, ironing board and iron. Plenty of closet space. We had a patio area that had a table and two chairs, aggressive squirrels, and a light for evenings on the patio. Ice was located in another motel building down the road. There was no air conditioning, as noted by other posters, but there was an adequate ceiling fan. While the decor wasn't stupendous, it was fine.

Parking near your building can be a bit of a challenge. We never did manage to get a spot in front of our building. It didn't matter much to us, but it wouldn't be easy for those with mobility issues.

We ate at the food court, and it was fine. When we checked in, we were given a chit for free coffee each morning, and that was honored at the food court. Breakfast (eggs, bacon, toast, potatoes) was good, as was the pasta bar. Nothing spectacular, but good and fine value for the money.

We did stop at the Ahwahnee one night for a cocktail (taking the free shuttle, which conveniently stops right in front of both the lodge and the Ahwahnee), and that was a lot of fun. I would recommend doing that, if you have time and are so inclined.

We also took the tourist bus up to Glacier Point ($20 each), and hiked down the Panorama trail (about 8 miles) one day. The views from the trail were spectacular, and it was a great hike. We got off track toward the end and ended up on more challenging descent than we would have preferred, but it was a glorious day nonetheless.

We hired a guide on another day from Yosemite Mountaineering School (Hope) to take us on a guided rock-climbing excursion ($158 each for private instruction for 3/4 day). We are both novice climbers. It was a great experience, Hope was very patient with us (and a lot of fun). I would definitely recommend this to anyone who is interested in rock climbing while in the park. They also have a "climb a rock" class for people who have never climbed.

On our way out of the park (the south entrance - toward Fresno), we stopped at Mariposa Park to see the giant Sequoias. I've posted a pic along with this review. If you have the time to stop, it is pretty awe-inspiring to see these huge trees.

We chose September for our trip in part to avoid the crowds of tourists. There still were a lot of tourists in the Valley (much less so in Tuolumne Meadows - see my review there). There were not many children when we arrived - likely because school had started for the year.

I would be happy to stay at the Lodge again, if I were to stay in the Valley (vs. Tuolumne Meadows) again. While it's expensive, the location is good, scenery is spectacular, and accomodations perfectly fine. The staff at the Lodge were, without exception, cheerful, friendly, and helpful. I have no significant complaints about my stay at Yosemite Valley Lodge.

Stayed September 2006
16 Thank tarapup
Wellington
Reviewed September 20, 2006

Having seen some of the reviews here, I was a bit nervous, but booked it because of the location and no driving for a couple of days during our 'grand tour'. We were pleasantly surprised; room was fine, with balcony and view over the river, clean, bit tired but no major issues. No aircon, but there was a fan and not coming from a country where aircon is the norm, we found it OK, even in August. Liked the fact that everything we spent, even at the gift shop, could go on the room bill so we didn't have to worry about cash. We were impressed with the restaurant, less so with the food court, but it was fine for families; we would have liked something else as a happy medium like a coffee shop. Staff were helpful and we had a great time. Would certainly recommend it

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Rooms about due for decoration
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled as a couple
White Chief Mountain Lodge
#1 of 2 in El Portal
3.5 of 5 bubbles 3,722 reviews
Tenaya Lodge at Yosemite

Been to Yosemite Valley Lodge? Share your experiences!