“Yosemite Deserves Better”

Yosemite Valley Lodge
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed September 10, 2006

To be sure, Yosemite Lodge at the Falls has a fabulous location in Yosemite Valley. I expected rustic, but not disrepair. Screen doors don't lock, louvered windows with screens were not operational. Large chipped areas on the walls need to be painted, not all light bulbs worked and those that did didn't offer enough light, adding to the dingy atmosphere. I don't want to do business with a company that knowingly gives the customer an inferior product because it has something (in this case location) that the customer needs/wants. Yes, many companies operate this way, but this is one of OUR National Parks and I think the NPS should contract with a company that will treat Yosemite's services, like lodging, with care. We paid $170 + tax for the night. Nice dinner at the Mountain Room Restaurant. Decent breakfast (and only option) in the Food Court.

• Stayed: August 2006, traveled with family
6  Thank beachmusic
Write a ReviewReviews (3,968)

Reviewed September 7, 2006

When planning your trip to Yosemite, keep in mind that in the Valley itself, there are two choices in hotel-style lodgings: The 4-diamond Ahwahnee and the more modest Lodge at Yosemite Falls. First off, Yosemite Natl. Park is one of the most beautiful places in the world and there are endless things to do in Yosemite Valley. If you've ever passed trough the tunnel on Hwy 41 and had that first view of the Valley, you know what I mean. The lodge is what it is. It's a no frills place to stay while in the park. Although the lodgings and concessions have been outsourced to a private company, this is still a U.S. Government property. It's not run by the Four Seasons.

The property is spread out over several acres near the base of Yosemite Falls. It's mostly comprised of small 2-story buildings of about 8 units each. Our room - Tamarack 4129 - was peaceful and quiet away from the road with wonderful views. The rooms themselves are nothing fancy at all. At least they have television now which they didn't have in my last visit in '01. The beds and linens are uncomfortable and the walls are paper thin. Fortunately, Yosemite is not a late-night kind of place so the noise dies down by 10pm. I was impressed with the shower which had surprisingly good water pressure. However the water temp would fluctuate several times during the course of my shower. Our room was on the second floor with a large balcony that overlooked groves of giant trees. If you ever saw Return of the Jedi, the setting will remind you of the chase scene through the forest.

For dining there is a food court with just average food, although it's a good place to eat breakfast before a day of hiking. And they give you a coupon for several free coffees/teas/hot chocolates. A more upscale dining experience can be found in the Mountain Room where they pride themselves on using fresh ingredients from the regions growers. There's also a general store with plenty of food, beverage, clothing, and hygiene products. And for an evening libation there is a lounge which serves drinks and appetizers well into the night. The best dining experience in Yosemite however is at the Ahwahnee Hotel. It's like a step back in time to a more elegant era - a dining experience which shouldn't be missed.

I could go on forever about Yosemite, it's truly one of the most special places in the world. The lodge, while far from luxurious, does it's job as a functional, convenient hotel. Plan ahead because reservations fill up a year in advance. Enjoy your stay!

• Stayed: September 2006, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
14  Thank toddnath
Reviewed September 1, 2006

My husband and I and our 3 teens spent 5 nights at The Lodge in August. Our building was "Hemlock" which was set back by the bike path and we had a 2nd floor room. We were able to sit on our balcony and watch the deer, racoons and other animal life walk across the small "meadow" area in front of the building. It was just lovely. A lovely white sand beach by the Merced River was a 60 second walk out of the building door.
The room itself was fine. It was clean, there was a large dressing area by the bathroom which held our coolers that we were keeping our snacks and water in, and there were plenty of clean towels left for us daily. The kids complained the roll away bed was really uncomfortable. After 2 of them tried it, they ended up on the floor, saying it was more comfortable. But we were all having such a wonderful time every day, it just wasn't that big of a deal.
The free shuttles stopped by the front of the lodge very frequently and got us where we wanted to go quickly. We did some great hiking to some beautiful locations, went horseback riding, rafted down the river, took evening walks through beautiful meadows full of wildlife and The Lodge was the perfect location for us to do all of this from. The only time we got in the car all week was to drive to Glacier Point (an unbelievable view).
The food was like college cafeteria food, which made my very hungry teens very happy. The sandwiches at the Deli in the village were very good and huge. We had a few picnics with those.
Its a great location and a wonderful vacation spot.

• Stayed: August 2006
11  Thank MinnieMomma
Reviewed August 30, 2006

We were four families traveling together to Yosemite for an extended weekend stay at the Yosemite Lodge at the Falls. My family stayed at the Yosemite Lodge last year and had a nice stay, primarily because its location in the heart of Yosemite Valley cannot be beat. We reserved four deluxe rooms and were assigned to the Maple building.

The rooms at the Yosemite Lodge are configured in clusters of about a dozen rooms per building. Each building is named after a tree. The Maple building was superb by comparison to our previous year’s stay, primarily because of its interior corridors which resulted in fewer flying insects getting into the room.

We had to wait until 4:30 PM for our room to be ready. It appears that the later than normal check in time is something the Lodge staff could try to improve upon. The reception desk clerks were helpful, except in securing a roll away bed for our room. Had to request this from housekeeping and the front desk a combined total of 5 times before it was finally delivered later that night.

The Lodge is convenient for those wishing to take the open bus Yosemite Valley tour since this is where the tour buses begin. The free public shuttles stopped conveniently in front of the reception building as well. There are 2 gift shops, an ice cream stand, a bike rental, and a post office on the premises.

Our room was on the second floor of the Maple building and contained 2 Queen beds, a side chair, a large armoire for the television and clothes drawers and a writing desk and chair. With a moving of the side chair, the deluxe room easily accommodated the roll away bed. The rooms in the Maple building had either a large balcony or patio overlooking the surrounding forest. The bathroom was simple and shower tiles were in need of another upgrade, but was fine for our short stay overall. Only wish the Yosemite Lodge rooms were air conditioned … it got very warm during the summer nights and we had the ceiling fan going all night.

The Lodge has a food court that serves breakfast, lunch and dinner cafeteria scramble style (you head to the food station you want, rather than wait in a very long single line). We only had breakfast and it was fine for what it is. The room is large, noisy and designed to efficiently move large crowds through quickly.

Next to dining at the Ahwahnee Hotel, the Mountain Room Restaurant at the Yosemite Lodge is one of the best places to have dinner in Yosemite Valley. The dress is casual, but the meals are well done albeit expensive. Last year the service was very slow the two times we ate in the Mountain Room, but this time the servers were in their game and got all 11 of us out very quickly and efficiently. Both dinner occasions were very good and the wait staff were eager to please.

The Lodge has a large Olympic size pool that was heavily used during our stay because it was so warm. The pool remained open each day until 6 PM. Towels are provided poolside by the life guard tower and there are loungers and a few tables with chairs around the perimeter. The best thing about the pool is the spectacular view of Yosemite Fall. At night, the open amphitheater situated within the courtyard of the Lodge plays host to evening ranger presentations or a featured film. On weekends, these free events are well attended.

My favorite reason for staying at the Lodge is its proximity and convenience to everything in Yosemite Valley. We used our bikes extensively during our stay in order to get to the Ahwahnee hotel, Curry Village, the horse stables, the river raft rental and to visit the stores at nearby Yosemite village. The dedicated bike paths that wind their way throughout the Valley is practically nirvana for novice bikers like our family.

Not having to commute in our car to see Yosemite is worth paying the premium to stay at Yosemite Lodge in our opinion, regardless of what the naysayers might think. True the facility is dated for the price they charge, but it is the only large accommodation in the Valley that is in between the $400 per night Ahwahnee Hotel and the pup tents of Curry Village. There is no place on earth with quite the mix of Yosemite Valley, and so it is worth the price of admission if one can budget for such a family memory.

• Stayed: August 2006, traveled with friends
16  Thank Jasminedog
Reviewed August 28, 2006

I just reread some of the reviews of Yosemite Lodge and found that I could completely echo the reviewer from the UK in July 2006. He describes the rooms perfectly and sets the right expectations. Thankfully, I had read all of these reviews before our arrival and, therefore, got exactly what I expected.

We stayed in Dogwood which is a one story building (perhaps the only one?) that is close to the main road. The first night the road noise was a bit distracting to me but it was fine when we left the sliding door closed. And you have some privacy from the trees and no noise from above so that was great. I would agree that there are some rooms that are close to the bus loading area (across from the lobby) that I would steer clear of.

The rooms are as others have described. A bit of a tired Holiday Inn. And, yes, it is dark since they use energy saving lightbulbs. But I liked having a large vanity that was separate from the tub and toilet and the storage space was excellent and very usable (open wardrobe with shelving, hooks, etc.). You should be warned that the fridge in the room is quite small so don't overbuy.

Having read things on this site about bugs, heat, and raccoons, we stopped at a Walmart on the way into Yosemite and purchased a box fan, Raid, and bug spray. The box fan was a plus as it provided white noise and, I hoped, a deterrent to the raccoons. There is a ceiling fan in the room that works quite well when the temps drop and our room never got that hot during the day (even though temps got into the 90s). We never used the Raid or the bug spray. I guess by August it's so dry that you don't see bugs.

We did try to prevent an attack of bugs and raccoons in our room (and were successful) by turning off all lights before going to dinner, keeping all candy and food in the fridge and keeping the sliding door closed when not in the room. I obsessed about the raccoon issue before arrival but it paid off. We did see a pack of about six raccoons roaming near the lobby building at 9 p.m. while watching a ranger presentation so I can see that they are there.

The pool was great for the kids--warm and big. And we had no issues with the food court. We got there by about 7 a.m. every day and only had to wait on the coffee line. Prices were average for a national park but we liked having quick service. We ate dinner at the Mountain Room (I went over in advance and put our names in) and were pleasantly surprised at the quality, service and prices. It's a bit noisy and not as elegant as the Ahwahnee but it's a good alternative.

We would definitely stay at the Yosemite Lodge again. The Ahwahnee is just too expensive when you have four people and I would hate to drive those winding roads out of the Valley at night. The best time of day in Yosemite is the early morning before the day trippers get there so we took advantage of that.

A note on laundry: I did use the only Valley coin laundromat located at the Housekeeping village. Other than the fact that I thought it opened at 7 a.m. and it was really 8 a.m., I found it to be easy to use and relatively quick. Glad I got there early as there were plenty of washers but more than half of the dryers were out of service. Brought laundry detergent from Walmart to save money and plenty of quarters but could have used their vending machines for both issues. Washers take 38 minutes and dryers take 10 minutes (though you'll need to do two cycles).

Loved Yosemite!!

• Stayed: July 2006, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
11  Thank ccrosner
Reviewed August 24, 2006

I was moved to the Lodge after my reservation at the Wawona was not honored (see my review for that property for the full story).

All in all, I was actually pleased with my room at the Lodge. It's decentralized layout is a bit disconcerting if you show up cold as I did, and signage could be a bit better. Parking can also be a bit daunting, and again, some additional signage would've been helpful.

I was in the 4400 building and I had a room with two full-size beds. I was surprised to find a TV in my room and I was glad that I'd gotten a room with it's own bath (which my original reserved room at the Wawona did not have).

These are very basic accommodations, with carpet squares and used furniture inherited from the Ahwahnee (according to the DNC video on one of the TV channels), but perfectly reasonable for the price and certainly very centrally located.

According to the guidebook I had, this location is host to a lot of groups, and I found that to be the case. It's also fairly large, so timing is everything. For example, I had breakfast in the food court. When I arrived, around 7:15 AM, the room was only about a quarter full and there were no lines at all; by the time I was finishing up, only about 30 minutes later, the dining area was nearly full and there were lines at all of the stations and at the register. I also checked out immediately after breakfast, hoping to beat the rush that I was sure would occur a little later in the morning.

There was no a/c in the room, but due to the extremes in the temperature, even in the middle of August, it wasn't required and I slept perfectly well with only a ceiling fan.

Being centrally located is critical when you have limited time in YNP, and the Lodge fits that bill to a "T".

• Stayed: July 2006, traveled solo
8  Thank maisany
Reviewed August 14, 2006

We were worried about the Lodge based on earlier reviews, but we had a very nice stay. We stayed on the second floor of one of the buildings b/c we heard it was quieter upstairs. The rooms are decorated in "cabin colors and decor". This lodge isn't the Ritz, but nor it should be. The staff was helpful over the phone, prior to our visit and during our stay. The rooms were clean, and had amenities I didn't expect (refrig and blow dryer). We went in June when the crowds are less, so that may have been a factor, but we had a wonderful stay.
I think you can influence which room you get by calling ahead (it worked for us). My recommendation is to figure out what is important to you:
- adjoining rooms - there are a limited number
- family rooms - very few; need to book way ahead
- noise from neighbors- get a second floor room
- noise from main road - ask to be in a building away from road (but it may mean that you are near parking lot and will have a little bus noise during bizness hours)
- newer decor - ask to be in a renovated room
- views - ask for room with a view
You cannot have all of these, because such a room doesnt exist. But you can have a comfortable room in a beautiful place! And know that some people are too critical. I laughed when the staff told me that someone was bothered by the noise of the Falls. For pete's sake, the falls were fabulous this year due to the water runoff. Bring on the noisy falls.

One warning:
The lodge will warn you about the bears, but not about the racoons. The racoons can open screen doors to your second floor room and trash your room while you are at dinner. Lock those screens or keep the sliders closed. We had a whole family of racoons in our room when we came back.

Restaurants:
We ate at the Ahwahnee one night in the grand ballroom. Beautiful setting, but service was slow, food was not great even though the prices are tres expensive (and I mean very expensive).

We also ate one night in the Mountain Room at the Lodge. Half the price of the Ahwahnee and food was fine.

Parking:
Can be tough to find a spot during the day. But at night the day trippers clear out.

• Stayed: June 2006, traveled with family
#2 of 2 in El Portal
10 mi away
#1 of 2 in El Portal
Tenaya Lodge at Yosemite

Been to Yosemite Valley Lodge? Share your experiences!