I'm not sure why so many people complain about Yosemite Lodge at the Falls. Its a perfectly acceptable place to stay.
Firstly, the rooms themselves. We stayed in one of the block chalets (a group of four rooms, two upstairs, two downstairs). The block itself was painted brown - which is perhaps why some people talk about dingy - but it meant that it blended in with the trees and surroundings very nicely.
The room itself was very large - bigger than any room you'd find in most cities in the US - and contained two queen beds, a freestanding wooden unit with a tv and fridge in (the fridge was available for use, it wasn't a 'minibar') and a bedside cabinet with an alarm clock and phone. Then the room had a dividing wall which seperated off the bathroom, which had an old, but perfectly servicable, bath and shower and toilet. The sink, and a huge, very well lit mirror, were outside the bathroom (basically behind the dividing wall). There was also an open wardrobe.
So far so good. The decor was okay too, yes, it was carpet tiles rather than ankle deep pile, and the walls were magnolia coloured and painted, but it was all perfectly acceptable and clean.
There were bugs - flies and mosquitos - but these came in when you opened the door rather than through any windows (assuming you kept your windows shut). The housekeeping staff were very good - our room was always well cleaned. Likewise, we couldn't complain about the front desk or, indeed, any of the Yosemite staff. Yes, its annoying that you can't check in till 5pm, but there was certainly no attempt to hide this; its their policy and thats that.
Staying at the lodge means you are about 10 minutes from the shops (grocery store, restaurant) in Yosemite Village, and a couple of minutes from the Lodge with its canteen. To give another side to the canteen complaints - we went every other morning for breakfast, and we were then when it opened at 6.30AM. The staff were perfectly nice, and the food was very good - no 'fancy' cuisine, but things like pancakes, muffins, toast, eggs and so on. You could get a very hearty meal that kept you going all day for almost a pittance.
I would highly recommend the Lodge.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Yosemite Valley Lodge is a favorite choice for families and large groups. Its close proximity to Yosemite Falls makes it the perfect base camp for exploring Yosemite National Park. Its glass and wood architecture work in unity with the surroundings and the ample windows allow in the bright mountain sunshine while providing remarkable views. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz and Expedia so you can book your Yosemite Valley Lodge reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Yosemite Lodge At The Falls
- Yosemite Hotel National Park
- Yosemite Lodge Falls
- Yosemite Ca
- Yosemite View Lodge
- Yosemite Hotel At The Falls
- Lodge Reservation Yosemite
- Lodge Yosemite
- Yosemite Lodge Hotel
- Yosemite Falls Lodge