“Great location, not so good accomodation”

Yosemite Valley Lodge
GreenLeadersSilver level
San Francisco, CA
“Great location, not so good accomodation”
Reviewed June 11, 2006

There is no better location in the Yosemite valley. The operators of this facility know that and are not making much effort to upgrade the facility. I will give you an example. A racoon broke into our room in the middle of the night and when I tried to grab a phone to ask for help, the phone was dead! It turns out that racoon breakins are quite common as the screens on all the windows (except ours) were broken which makes one wonder why they management doesn't try something else.

Enough about that. The location of this hotel is awesome - right by the falls. I always try to get a room there despite the rates - which are way too high for what you get. But, it is still a great place to stay because of where you are.

5 Thank SunnyNoCal

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (984)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Walnut Creek
Reviewed June 11, 2006

Interestingly enough, the room not ready at check-in seems to be a consistent. With a 5:00 pm check-in, you really don't want to wait around. We were told our room was not ready at 5:00, but they would give us another room. The staff was friendly and suggested Birch Lodge for our family, the single story on the road out. We liked the single-story, and the road noise was minimal at night. I had paid for the upgraded suite, but still did not get a view of the falls. The desk clerk told me only five rooms in the lodge had waterfall views, so keep in mind that most of the rooms at the Lodge don't have waterfall views.

Our two queen bed upgraded room was spacious, and simple. There was a sliding glass door and a little patio outside. No problem with wildlife coming into the room. The room was a bit dark for my taste. There was television. The bathrooms could have been slightly cleaner (the non-slip decals looked a bit grimy) but on the whole, the room was fine for a family with 2 kids.

The food court was convenient, and not that bad. The hotel location by the falls is terrific! The lodge seemed to have an excellent pool and lounge also. I liked that the hotel rooms were not too glitzy and preserved the Yosemite feel. So, overall had a good experience, just watch out for the late check-in, and don't expect a luxury hotel (even though you are paying luxury prices). Location, location, location.

5 Thank Janiele
Oakland, California
Reviewed June 5, 2006

We just returned from a short stay in the valley, where we had a standard room with 2 queens at the Lodge, in the Cedar Cottage. This is my fourth time staying at the lodge, and this particular room was the smallest I have stayed in. The standard rooms are smaller than most, but less expensive as a result. Our family of 4, inlcuding 2 teenagers, fit nicely. Most rooms in the other buildings are larger and also have balconies. Nonetheless, I was perfectly content with our stay. We were actiually able to check in when we arrived at 2:45. The room was similar to any older brand name motel room, except for the fact that there was a view of Yosemite Falls from our window! It was very centrally located to everything, including the pool, gift shop and restaurants. It is the location, and that view, that insure that a room at the lodge will always cost more than a similar motel room anywhere else.
This particular room was on the second floor, and without a balcony to provide some extra breeze, it was hot. The fan provided was good, but I do look forward to the day when all the rooms are upgraded and some AC is provided. A room on the first floor would be cooler, but then you lose the view and have to watch out for the squirrels and racoons that will gladly check out your food if you leave any doors or windows open!
The rooms now come with TV, but no coffemakers. You will get a coupon for a free coffee at the food court, but for the coffee addict, that may not suffice. Speaking of the food court, it's one place in Yosemite I can unequivocally suggest you avoid, esp. for dinner. Most of the food is bland and overpriced. My youngest daughter had a pizza, which turned out to be the best of all of our choices, Fortunately, there are many other places to eat; even at the Lodge you can eat at the Mountain Room Restaurant, and the bar also has pub food.
As long as you understand that you are paying an inflated price for a standard room, I can recommend the Lodge as a comfortable spot to stay in the most convenient location in the park. I also recommend splurging on the larger rooms if they are available. But most of all , wherever you stay in the park, get out of your room and enjoy the nature around you!

11 Thank macjack
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed May 30, 2006

My partner and I stayed at the Lodge for 2 nights, and unfortunately since they were all booked up even when I made the reservations almost a year ago, stayed one night in a cabin in Curry Village. After reading all the negative reviews we were unsure of what to expect, but were pleasantly surprised. We wished we could've stayed there all 3 nights!

We did our initial check-in around noon and were assigned a room on the first floor of the Cedar Cottage, right next to the main building and very convenient to everything. I explained my concerns to the check-in attentdant about all the negative online reviews, and he assured me that everything would be clean, and even called the maintenance staff to request a priority cleaning! I found all the staff to be very curtious and professional. Since the room wasn't ready we hiked around a bit and came back a few hours later, and after peeking in the room and noticing that it was cleaned, went back to the lobby and got the key. The room was very clean, and since we were on the first floor and the weather wasn't too hot, was also quite comfortable, though I could see how it could get quite hot in the middle of summer with no A/C. Sure the bathroom could've been more modern, but you're paying for the convenience and the view (we had a great view right outside our door) , not the accomodations. If you're expecting the Taj Mahal you'll be disappointed, but if you want a clean comfortable room then you won't be.

Eating tip: While the food in the food court was ok, it was generally over-priced. Check out the buffet in Curry Village, much better food and very reasonably priced!

Stayed May 2006
10 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Crown Point IN
Reviewed May 28, 2006

My husband and I arrived on May 18th. We were pleasantly surprised with our spacious room. We were expecting a less than average room from the other reviews of the lodge. We have been to many other national park lodges and we know that sometimes the rooms are not the best. The check-in staff was not very friendly and I did sign the bear aware statement but was not told of the raccoon problem. We went to the food court, food was pricey and it was VERY,VERY LOUD. When we went back to our room we noticed a bag of chips on our balcony when we went outside to investigate we were met with a rather large raccoon and he was not afraid of us.He must of stole the chips elsewhere and was eating them on our balcony. He finally left after we pushed the bag of chips off our balcony. Overall, it was a great experience to be in this national park and well worth staying in the lodge We loved every minute of it and when we checked out I was met with such a nice man working at the front desk. Just make sure you keep your balcony door locked and you will have a great time.

9 Thank travelcrazy2
n.c.
Reviewed May 22, 2006

Room was not ready at check in. Either take what was clean or stand in long line again. Their computer crashed, apparently they do not have paper trails as they could do nothing till the computer came back on. our room was in the Hemlock building. The rails on the balcony were popped up from shrinkage wood on metal. We saw deer and birds. We ate at the cafateria styled place. Food was precooked and served cold.

The fixed door facing outward to the balcony is slatted. I was on the bed next to it. I keep seeing a raccoon going back and forth on the balcony. Falling asleep, I would hear a rustling sound. As soon as I moved or called out the sound stopped. These went on till my friend thinks I am going nuts. In the middle of the night, we are both awaken by the sound of a bag rustling. My friend turns on the light and there is the fattest raccoon I have ever seen. We all freeze then the raccoon wattles out the door. He had opened the unlocked door. He ate a banana and dark chocolate truffle, he had taste, he was coming back for the orange when he got busted. Oddly the only danger from the raccoon was his stuffing himself with your food. I think the former reviewer over re-acted. Just make sure to lock the door to the balcony when you go to bed,

The rooms are thin walled and dated. I was not impressed by the check in staff. The rest of the staff were friendly.

The room itself is a very, very poor value for the money. Check in is too late it should be the normal 3 with check out at 12 giving a person time to explore the park. Not checking in at 5 then room is not ready.

But remember poor service begins at the top.

8 Thank strollingbones
Livermore,California
Reviewed May 18, 2006

Our recent stay at the Yosemite Lodge was a absolute nightmare.First of all, we had reserved a standard room and were told check in time was 5pm. We arrived on time and was told our room was not ready. At 5:45 pm when I was told our room was still not ready, I let them know at the desk I was quite upset. I overheard the desk clerk mention our room number, so I decided to go there myself to find out why it was taking so long to get ready.What I found was the young housecleaning staff in our room watching TV and folding towels and sheets that they stock on their carts.They knew I spotted them, and when I went back to the desk I was told that our room was now ready....amazing huh?Anyway, the room was OK...it definately shows it's age. It was quite roomy, even with 2 queen beds. There is no AC in the rooms, but they do supply you with a table fan.On the weekend we were there,it was quite warm and the room got very hot during the day.Our first night, when my wife turned down the bed, she found a large DEAD BEE inside the sheets. We immediatly stripped down the beds, but found no more insects. The room stayed hot all night so we slept with the screened windows open which provided some relief...after all we were on the 2nd floor, so having the windows open while we slept wasn't a real concern to us. Everything else was OK that night.
The REAL NIGHTMARE began the 2nd night. We had gone to the on site restaurant for dinner.When we returned to our room, we found a RACOON in our room and he was tearing into all our luggage and totebags. We did have a small bag of chips in one of our bags and he ran off back thru the window with the bag of chips in his mouth.There is a ledge outside the window that I guess he used to get in the window. Upon my investigation, I found he actually ripped the screen right from the window frame.My family and I were all in the state of shock...especially since we spent the previous night with the windows wide open all night while we slept. There was no way those windows would be open on this night. We were scheduled to check out the next morning..so we were all tired from a full day of hiking and we just wanted to go to bed and get the hell out of this place at first light.With all the windows closed as we slept, the room was very hot and uncomfortable, but we really didn't have a choice. At 4:45 am, we were awaking by a loud banging on one of the windows. I grabbed the flashlight,and was shocked to see our RACOON was back and this time, he tore the screen off another window and was actually trying to pry open the window with his claws. I banged on the window and scared him off and that was the last we saw of him. We all could not go back to sleep after that. That morning at checkout I told the desk clerk what had happened and her response was unbelievable! She actually implied that we were at fault for having food in our room. Do you believe that?? I could understand camping in the wilderness and wild animals looking for food...BUT IN A HOTEL ROOM?? She was more concerned about notifying maintennance to repair the broken screens, than she was about hearing our story. They did give us a 10% discount off our bill...which I did accept, but I was so --- off that I just wanted to get out of there before I caused a real scene. When I got home, I immediately sent off an email to the national Corporation that runs the lodge, but never did receive any response.
In closing, I just wanted to say that at no time were we warned about a racoon problem (in your hotel room) and having food in the room with you. I feel they know about this problem and don't do anything to prevent it from happening. It's just a matter of time before someone will get attacked(in their hotel room), all because they had a small bag of chips with them...IN THEIR LUGGAGE!!
YOU CAN STAY AT THIS PLACE IF YOU WANT, BUT YOU CAN NEVER SAY YOU WEREN'T WARNED!! If you must stay in the valley, spend the extra money and stay at the Awanee. It's expensive, but you and your family's safety is worth it, isn't it?

124 Thank Rich_and_Debbie94551
Rush Creek Lodge
#3 of 7 in Groveland
White Chief Mountain Lodge
#1 of 2 in El Portal

Been to Yosemite Valley Lodge? Share your experiences!