“A good stay at Yosemite Lodge”

Yosemite Valley Lodge
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed June 5, 2006

We just returned from a short stay in the valley, where we had a standard room with 2 queens at the Lodge, in the Cedar Cottage. This is my fourth time staying at the lodge, and this particular room was the smallest I have stayed in. The standard rooms are smaller than most, but less expensive as a result. Our family of 4, inlcuding 2 teenagers, fit nicely. Most rooms in the other buildings are larger and also have balconies. Nonetheless, I was perfectly content with our stay. We were actiually able to check in when we arrived at 2:45. The room was similar to any older brand name motel room, except for the fact that there was a view of Yosemite Falls from our window! It was very centrally located to everything, including the pool, gift shop and restaurants. It is the location, and that view, that insure that a room at the lodge will always cost more than a similar motel room anywhere else.
This particular room was on the second floor, and without a balcony to provide some extra breeze, it was hot. The fan provided was good, but I do look forward to the day when all the rooms are upgraded and some AC is provided. A room on the first floor would be cooler, but then you lose the view and have to watch out for the squirrels and racoons that will gladly check out your food if you leave any doors or windows open!
The rooms now come with TV, but no coffemakers. You will get a coupon for a free coffee at the food court, but for the coffee addict, that may not suffice. Speaking of the food court, it's one place in Yosemite I can unequivocally suggest you avoid, esp. for dinner. Most of the food is bland and overpriced. My youngest daughter had a pizza, which turned out to be the best of all of our choices, Fortunately, there are many other places to eat; even at the Lodge you can eat at the Mountain Room Restaurant, and the bar also has pub food.
As long as you understand that you are paying an inflated price for a standard room, I can recommend the Lodge as a comfortable spot to stay in the most convenient location in the park. I also recommend splurging on the larger rooms if they are available. But most of all , wherever you stay in the park, get out of your room and enjoy the nature around you!

• Stayed: June 2006
11  Thank macjack
Write a ReviewReviews (3,956)

A TripAdvisor Member
Orlando, FL
Reviewed May 30, 2006

My partner and I stayed at the Lodge for 2 nights, and unfortunately since they were all booked up even when I made the reservations almost a year ago, stayed one night in a cabin in Curry Village. After reading all the negative reviews we were unsure of what to expect, but were pleasantly surprised. We wished we could've stayed there all 3 nights!

We did our initial check-in around noon and were assigned a room on the first floor of the Cedar Cottage, right next to the main building and very convenient to everything. I explained my concerns to the check-in attentdant about all the negative online reviews, and he assured me that everything would be clean, and even called the maintenance staff to request a priority cleaning! I found all the staff to be very curtious and professional. Since the room wasn't ready we hiked around a bit and came back a few hours later, and after peeking in the room and noticing that it was cleaned, went back to the lobby and got the key. The room was very clean, and since we were on the first floor and the weather wasn't too hot, was also quite comfortable, though I could see how it could get quite hot in the middle of summer with no A/C. Sure the bathroom could've been more modern, but you're paying for the convenience and the view (we had a great view right outside our door) , not the accomodations. If you're expecting the Taj Mahal you'll be disappointed, but if you want a clean comfortable room then you won't be.

Eating tip: While the food in the food court was ok, it was generally over-priced. Check out the buffet in Curry Village, much better food and very reasonably priced!

Stayed: May 2006
10  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed May 28, 2006

My husband and I arrived on May 18th. We were pleasantly surprised with our spacious room. We were expecting a less than average room from the other reviews of the lodge. We have been to many other national park lodges and we know that sometimes the rooms are not the best. The check-in staff was not very friendly and I did sign the bear aware statement but was not told of the raccoon problem. We went to the food court, food was pricey and it was VERY,VERY LOUD. When we went back to our room we noticed a bag of chips on our balcony when we went outside to investigate we were met with a rather large raccoon and he was not afraid of us.He must of stole the chips elsewhere and was eating them on our balcony. He finally left after we pushed the bag of chips off our balcony. Overall, it was a great experience to be in this national park and well worth staying in the lodge We loved every minute of it and when we checked out I was met with such a nice man working at the front desk. Just make sure you keep your balcony door locked and you will have a great time.

9  Thank travelcrazy2
Reviewed May 22, 2006

Room was not ready at check in. Either take what was clean or stand in long line again. Their computer crashed, apparently they do not have paper trails as they could do nothing till the computer came back on. our room was in the Hemlock building. The rails on the balcony were popped up from shrinkage wood on metal. We saw deer and birds. We ate at the cafateria styled place. Food was precooked and served cold.

The fixed door facing outward to the balcony is slatted. I was on the bed next to it. I keep seeing a raccoon going back and forth on the balcony. Falling asleep, I would hear a rustling sound. As soon as I moved or called out the sound stopped. These went on till my friend thinks I am going nuts. In the middle of the night, we are both awaken by the sound of a bag rustling. My friend turns on the light and there is the fattest raccoon I have ever seen. We all freeze then the raccoon wattles out the door. He had opened the unlocked door. He ate a banana and dark chocolate truffle, he had taste, he was coming back for the orange when he got busted. Oddly the only danger from the raccoon was his stuffing himself with your food. I think the former reviewer over re-acted. Just make sure to lock the door to the balcony when you go to bed,

The rooms are thin walled and dated. I was not impressed by the check in staff. The rest of the staff were friendly.

The room itself is a very, very poor value for the money. Check in is too late it should be the normal 3 with check out at 12 giving a person time to explore the park. Not checking in at 5 then room is not ready.

But remember poor service begins at the top.

8  Thank strollingbones
Reviewed May 18, 2006

Our recent stay at the Yosemite Lodge was a absolute nightmare.First of all, we had reserved a standard room and were told check in time was 5pm. We arrived on time and was told our room was not ready. At 5:45 pm when I was told our room was still not ready, I let them know at the desk I was quite upset. I overheard the desk clerk mention our room number, so I decided to go there myself to find out why it was taking so long to get ready.What I found was the young housecleaning staff in our room watching TV and folding towels and sheets that they stock on their carts.They knew I spotted them, and when I went back to the desk I was told that our room was now ready....amazing huh?Anyway, the room was OK...it definately shows it's age. It was quite roomy, even with 2 queen beds. There is no AC in the rooms, but they do supply you with a table fan.On the weekend we were there,it was quite warm and the room got very hot during the day.Our first night, when my wife turned down the bed, she found a large DEAD BEE inside the sheets. We immediatly stripped down the beds, but found no more insects. The room stayed hot all night so we slept with the screened windows open which provided some relief...after all we were on the 2nd floor, so having the windows open while we slept wasn't a real concern to us. Everything else was OK that night.
The REAL NIGHTMARE began the 2nd night. We had gone to the on site restaurant for dinner.When we returned to our room, we found a RACOON in our room and he was tearing into all our luggage and totebags. We did have a small bag of chips in one of our bags and he ran off back thru the window with the bag of chips in his mouth.There is a ledge outside the window that I guess he used to get in the window. Upon my investigation, I found he actually ripped the screen right from the window frame.My family and I were all in the state of shock...especially since we spent the previous night with the windows wide open all night while we slept. There was no way those windows would be open on this night. We were scheduled to check out the next morning..so we were all tired from a full day of hiking and we just wanted to go to bed and get the hell out of this place at first light.With all the windows closed as we slept, the room was very hot and uncomfortable, but we really didn't have a choice. At 4:45 am, we were awaking by a loud banging on one of the windows. I grabbed the flashlight,and was shocked to see our RACOON was back and this time, he tore the screen off another window and was actually trying to pry open the window with his claws. I banged on the window and scared him off and that was the last we saw of him. We all could not go back to sleep after that. That morning at checkout I told the desk clerk what had happened and her response was unbelievable! She actually implied that we were at fault for having food in our room. Do you believe that?? I could understand camping in the wilderness and wild animals looking for food...BUT IN A HOTEL ROOM?? She was more concerned about notifying maintennance to repair the broken screens, than she was about hearing our story. They did give us a 10% discount off our bill...which I did accept, but I was so --- off that I just wanted to get out of there before I caused a real scene. When I got home, I immediately sent off an email to the national Corporation that runs the lodge, but never did receive any response.
In closing, I just wanted to say that at no time were we warned about a racoon problem (in your hotel room) and having food in the room with you. I feel they know about this problem and don't do anything to prevent it from happening. It's just a matter of time before someone will get attacked(in their hotel room), all because they had a small bag of chips with them...IN THEIR LUGGAGE!!
YOU CAN STAY AT THIS PLACE IF YOU WANT, BUT YOU CAN NEVER SAY YOU WEREN'T WARNED!! If you must stay in the valley, spend the extra money and stay at the Awanee. It's expensive, but you and your family's safety is worth it, isn't it?

124  Thank Rich_and_Debbie94551
Reviewed April 29, 2006

We stayed at Yosemite Lodge this past Easter. Yosemite was our first stop on a short tour of CA. Our first surprise of the trip came when we had to purchase ($75) and put snow chains on the rental car because the entrance to the park from Rt. 120 was snowy and icy and chains were mandatory. Thank goodness my husband and son are capable, or we would have had to pay an additional $25 for someone to put them on for us. Unexpected but kind of an adventure. Once in the valley, the roads cleared, the snow was nonexistent, but there was a nonstop downpour.

When we finally reached Yosemite Lodge, we were apprehensive by the apparent dated appearance of the buildings. At over $200/night including tax, we remained hopeful. We were assigned to the Cedar building. We were soaked by the time we got our luggage into the room from where we had to park. The smell in the room when we opened the door was nauseating. The carpet seemed to be the culprit because it looked like some kind of nasty utilitarian rubber-backed "tile" carpet. The room smelled of a combination of nasty rubber, mold, and urine. The room was freezing and we could see light through the crack in the ill-fitted door. We hesitated turning the heat on, because we didn't want to accentuate the stinkiness in the room, but we had to get warm. The bathroom area was very dated and did not look very clean. As we looked around my daughter said, "Well, at least they offer free bottled water...oh, never mind there's a price on it of almost $3 a bottle."

We had lunch in the crowded cafeteria. The atmosphere was very hectic, the food was expensive, and just okay for cafeteria food.

Despite the rain, we spent the afternoon seeing some of the sights. We got soaked again. Luckily, we had made dinner reservations at the Mountain Room when we checked in. That was the best part of the day. We had an excellent dinner(although a little expensive @ $130 including tip for our family of four). The restaurant was cozy and the food was really delicious. It felt wonderful to sit calmly and to be warm and dry in a nice atmosphere and to share a good meal together. We have no problem paying a little extra while on vacation for a nice experience.

Back at the room, we were up early (4:30am) because our bodies were still on ESTime. I had brought the makings for coffee because that's what I like when I wake up. I like to enjoy the quiet of the morning and a nice cup of coffee. Simple. NO COFFEED MAKER in the room!!! I called the front desk, hoping that I would find that there was coffee in the lobby area. No luck. We had to wait two hours for the cafeteria to open. Disappointing that the second day in a row started out so uncomfortably.

The Yosemite Lodge could be so much better. We have stayed at other state and national park lodges and have not wanted to leave. They do it right. I was really disappointed that despite the gorgeous and breathtaking scenery, my family was anxious to continue on our trip to Monterey. As we were leaving the park, I wistfully wished we could come back and "do it better." Unfortunately this was perhaps our one shot to enjoy the experience together. Shame on the property managers for charging so much and providing such a shabby experience.

• Stayed: April 2006
60  Thank BNice3
Reviewed April 24, 2006

Stayed at the lodge for 4 nights in the middle of April. The rooms are OK. We had a standard room which consisted of two queen beds, a smallish bathroom and not much else. The room showed some signs of wear and the bathroom could have been cleaner, but let's face it, who goes to Yosemite because of the lodgings. What sets this place apart is its location. If you want to stay in the valley, you only have two choices. Unless you want to spend $400 a night for the Ahwanee, then this is it. We were so busy hiking and doing things that really the only time we were in the rooms was at night going to sleep. Sure you could find a lot nicer hotels outside of the park with newer facilities, but then you've got to drive 30 - 45 minutes each way plus the time you spend waiting in line to get in the park. We parked our car and only drove it once - to go to Mariposa Grove. The rest of the time we could walk out of our door and see Yosemite Falls within 5 seconds and catch the free bus with a 1 minute walk. Save the money vs the Ahwanee and eat over there instead.

• Stayed: April 2006
#2 of 7 in Groveland
10 mi away
#1 of 2 in El Portal
Tenaya Lodge at Yosemite

Been to Yosemite Valley Lodge? Share your experiences!