“Great location, OK room”

Yosemite Valley Lodge
GreenLeadersSilver level
London, England
“Great location, OK room”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2006

Good place, if you're up for a "campsite" feel - but with proper rooms and accomodation. Rooms are large and located in blocks amongst trees and with excellent views. Bathroom OK but a bit dated. Breakfast wasn't included with the only real option the canteen style dining area. Again great if you're up for the "campsite" feel.

We had ants in the bathroom when we arrived - but reception dealt with it very quickly and we had no further problems.

Even in ealy April this was a fairly expensive stay - justified mainly by the location and the size of the room.

• Stayed April 2006
4 Thank jenstef

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (947)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Camarillo, Ca
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 31, 2006

Just came back from a stay at the lodge, our room was located in the Cedar lodge room 3910, so we didn't share a wall with another room. Next time I would ask for the second floor room to avoid the noise of the
guests above. Have been to the park many times and stayed in most of the lodgings from the Grand hotel to a tent cabin. If you can go off season you really get a good value for your money. My only complaint was the heater in the room didn't work very well and you really needed a extra blanket to keep you comfortable. The food court in fine and the cost is reasonable,I also like to get a sandwich at the deli before I go on a hike to Mirror Lake or Vernal Falls. Lunch at the hotel is a nice treat or try breakfast on the day you depart. Don't forget to view the 7pm show at the lodge, very interesting and then visit the lounge for a snack and time around the fireplace.
The snow was so beautiful this year, I felt like it was Christmas all over again.

• Stayed March 2006
7 Thank BarbaraACamarillo
Aptos, California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 31, 2006

We were issued a handicap room as our room was not ready at 6PM. Just a warning to those of you that are not handicapped as we are not. These rooms are set up for wheelchairs and everything is set very low so that is a bit of a problem for tall people. Other than that the room was fine.

4 Thank margiesmemories
St. Louis, MO
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 11, 2006

The room was your basic 2 beds, bath and TV room. It was clean and warm, with plenty of space for luggage and personal belongings. My wife and I did the Romance Package and enjoyed the dinner and champagne. Everything you need is right there at the lodge complex - food court, including coffee bar, dinner restaurant with a view of Yosemite Falls (arrive early), bar with TVs and a small store. The free shuttle was a great way to see the valley.

6 Thank SGJO
Berkeley,CA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 22, 2006

Check the previous reviewer's photos of the layout of the lodge which is very useful for understanding the different responses people have had to this facility. There are a number of structures spread out over an area within view of the Yosemite falls. They vary in their view. Some face granite walls, some face the falls, some face the woods with no view (especially the Alder roomblock). Some of the rooms may be a little more updated than others. In 1997 Yosemite had a catastrophic flood which took out a large number of rooms below the parking lot. I was told by the desk that the 3 buildings beyond the parking lot where the shuttle bus stops had their lower floor flooded. We happened to stay in one in the Alder building. When you see the price differential for a lodge room versus a standard room it has to do with whether or not there is a exterior access to the room. And only one room block is "standard". A "lodge room" which is more $$ than a "standard room" is a room with a balcony or patio. Only 1 building has "standard rooms" which is without either. I think it is called the Cedar. I was also told that there are only 4 "family" rooms, i.e. rooms that connect. Bottom line--I would suggest calling the facility directly to discuss with them your needs and desires for a view. If this matters to you, since there is so much variation in the location and layout of the rooms, then you are far more likely to get what you want if you call directly. We were also given the new rate schedule and prices are going to to up in March for all of the facilities in Yosemite. I can say, that Alder could use a revamp, it is near the shuttle bus stop (where you can hear the buses) and you are required to move your car during the day to accomodate the bus traffic. It would be my least favorite choice in the future.
As for the food. They have tried to accomodate a range of costs and provide for family dining in the more cafeteria style dining area. It is not expensive by California standards ($3-12). The formal dining room is expensive for families ($25+) per entree.
The second bottom line--The Yosemite lodge is the National Parks attempt at accomodating the middle class. It lies in cost and amenities between camping, which is offered in the camprounds in the east part of the valley and the Awahnee which sets one back $300-900 a night in a traditional old style National Park lodge. None of them are the Bellagio. But put things into perspective. We found the snowfall in Yosemite valley, midweek, mid February with far fewer than the millions cheek by jowl in the summer, simply glorious.

• Stayed February 2006
25 Thank bearfan
Northampton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 28, 2005

We chose the Yosemite Lodge on the basis of the reviews on tripadvisor so we were prepared for the fact that our room might be a little basic. We requested a refurbished room with a view of the falls when we reserved and on arrival we found our requests had been fulfilled, with an apology for the fact that the falls were dry!

Parking was a bit tricky and meant we had to wheel our cases a fair distance to get to our room but once inside we couldn't believe the size of the room and the quality of the furnishings. there was even a TV, which we did not expect. It was pretty cold at night while we were there in October but the heating was good of course we had our wonderful view.

The free bus service made it simple and quick to get all around the valley floor and there were also a number of interesting walks straight from the lodge.

The facilities at the lodge were good: a choice of the food court for no-frills refectory style dining, which provided simple but good filling grub or the Mountain View restaurant, which we didn't try because we were suffering from a combination of jet lag and the effect of the altitude. The bar also had snacks and efficient table service. In addition there was a pretty good shop and although we had been prepared for prices to be high for food and drink bought in the park in fact they were fine. Having had the chance to see much of the other accomodation available I'd definitely stay at the Yosemite Lodge at the Falls if I visited Yosemite again.

37 Thank emmadaisysmum
Berkeley, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 13, 2005

Having read the other reviews, I was a little hesitant about staying here. I am very choosy about accomodation, don't like staying in super resorts, and like things off the beaten path a bit. Yosemite Lodge's choice location was the tipping point for us. I wanted to write a review to help other people who might have doubts about YL. I was so impressed, I even took pictures for a first hand look.

We stayed away from the main lodge, in a small collection of 'bungalows' called Tamarack. (See my map.) On arrival, our worries were immediately put to rest; the Lodge was just what I was looking for. Our beds were comfy, the hotel room was clean, there was a maid service, and we even had a big, private balcony with a view of the trees. Just over the road, a walkable distance, was Yosemite Falls.

I do think they have been doing some upgrading; we had no problem with mold or deterioration. Indeed, as of November 2005, there was some (unobtrusive) road construction going on in the Valley.

In the main area, the Mountain Room restaurant was surprisingly decent, and there even is a separate bar (Mountain Room Lodge) with cosy fire. Though the Food Court was not our style, I could see that it could be useful for families/big groups/fast food. The entire lodge complex is walkable. And what scenery!

Also, Yosemite Village is not far, where you can stock up on snacks, sandwiches, souvenirs, mail postcards, and check out the informative Vistor Center.

In terms of location, YL is on par with Curry Village and The Ahwahnee. Nothing beats waking up in the shadow of El Capitan and Half Dome. The Ahwahnee is nice, more upscale, and the dining hall is worth a visit, too. Having driven all around Yosemite, it was really useful to be so central.

I found the Yosemite Lodge perfect. If you want more upscale, I would stay at the Ahwahnee. The Lodge is your basic, National Park Lodging, and I had no complaints. I found it to be great value. Enjoy Yosemite, and check out my photos for maps and more info.

• Stayed November 2005
White Chief Mountain Lodge
#1 of 2 in El Portal
3.5 of 5 bubbles 3,657 reviews
Tenaya Lodge at Yosemite

Been to Yosemite Valley Lodge? Share your experiences!