“The Valley is where the action is.” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Yosemite Valley Lodge

Yosemite Valley Lodge
GreenLeadersSilver level
Orlando, Florida
“The Valley is where the action is.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2013

You need know that you should book as far in advance as you can because this is a very popular location and a much better rate than the upscale Ahwahnee and closer to it all than the Wawona (has great golfing) and the Tenaya Lodge, and other places (worth it but way too far from the valley). In fact, it is the only game in town, in my opinion, unless you want to camp or continuously spend vacation time driving like I did last year. It's location is prime. I stayed in June at the Manzanita building, by the pool, upstairs (no elevators). My room was perfect in every way. I loved the high ceiling with wood and wood rafters and the woodsy décor (I'm tired of my Florida beach décor). The shower was awesome. Great patio, a TV, additional fan and heater. Comfortable beds-I was jumping for joy to get this location in the valley for a few days at the last minute and to stay here with all the available amenities. I tried to stay longer but they were booked up.

Room Tip: Upstairs has the rafters and patio. Ask for Manzanita for easy pool accessibility.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank Kimham11

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (942)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
San Antonio, Texas
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2013

I read all the reviews and was surprised that there was such a mixed bag. Having stayed at many of the national park hotels I thought the negatives reviews were odd.

We had planned to stay 3 nights at the Lodge in one of the family bunk rooms. We came at a really hot time and were placed in an upstairs rooms. Even with the windows open, ceiling fan and desk fan they provided we were miserable!!!

But we had other major issues. First the room was not clean! Floor was not vacuumed and we found a bunch of food wrappers from previous guests right under the bunk bed. The refrigerator was on the blink and would not cool our drinks. The second bunk bed had a fitted sheet and no top sheet! Just a heavy blanket. To make matters worse when my son closed the door to the patio the glass panel fell out!!! It did not break thank goodness but the slots were messed up and my husband couldn't even get it back in place. We called down to have someone come fix that and the fridge but then decided that it was best we cancel our last 2 nights and move on.

I have to say the staff we worked with were wonderful and concerned about our issues. They let us out of our last two nights. This property is in need of an upgrade in the worst way.

As I had read, the food court was BEYOND awful. They had a pasta station but I didn't see any prices. I noticed that the other 2 sections had kids meals but my little boy asked me about a bowl of pasta. So I was given a bowl of pasta, with butter sauce and a stale piece of bread.

Imagine my surprise when I got to the front to pay and they charged my $13 for it! Really? It was literally a small bowl of precooked pasta warmed up in hot water for a moment....

The food court is also not air conditioned and it was a sauna at dinner time! Not as bad in the morning.

I hope DNC makes some changes to this property...

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Lvtolvlife
Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2013

I have always dreamed of going to Yosemite since I was a child so I was determined to stay in the valley. Although it is not cheap, you are paying for the location. The rooms were simple and clean but I was not expecting much. What I was not expecting was to hear Yosemite Falls roaring and the falls to be a 5 minute walk away. Great for kids to just run around and play instead of being stuck on a tour bus.

Room Tip: Don't be expecting 5 star. See it as a clean place to sleep and put your head down after a beaut...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Modesto, California, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 6, 2013

I have been to Yosemite Lodge dozens of times, watching it evolve from a more casual lodge to one that is very contemporary, with TVs, pool etc., all in response to expectations from today's travelers. It's the "mid-choice" for those seeking conveniences without paying the higher price of the lovely but expensive Ahwahnee Hotel. A short walk brings you to the breathtaking 2500 foot high Yosemite Falls (the whole area has been restored back to nature by the Yosemite Conservancy, and much nicer than a decade ago), and you are also a hop an a skip from the tranquil Merced River. Informal and formal dining options are available (I recommend the waffles at breakfast) and the staff is always helpful. The Lodge sits right beside the bike trail, and you can bike through much of the Valley (they have rentals, if needed) accessing points you can't reach by car. Monday-Thursday is the best time to stay, as pricing tends to be lower and the park is less congested.

Room Tip: While the Lodge can not guarantee a room, asking for one that faces the Merced River - they are quie...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank ClaudiaNewcorn
Birmingham, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 6, 2013 via mobile

Glad stayed so we had experience of quiet morning walk without crowds! Despite dreadful food experience at least had great scenery and excellent hairdryer!!! Didn't realise a pool here when booked but didn't use.

• Stayed June 2013
California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 4, 2013

We recently stayed at Yosemite Lodge for the first time. In the past, we've stayed at the Curry Village cabins, which I prefer. The Lodge rooms are decent sized with ugly decor. The room had a fridge, but it froze our food. The room did have a great shower with good water pressure - we were in a one-story building. And staying at the lodge, you get to use the pool for free. Being inside the park is essential to having a good Yosemite visit - I'm not crazy about the location of the lodge because it is on the end of the shuttle stop plus it's not as scenic as the view from Curry Village. The front desk service was fine but the maid service was terrible! They basically vacuumed the middle of the carpet and didn't even bother wiping off the table. As far as we could tell, they really did nothing to the bathroom either.

Room Tip: If you check in early in the day, you'll have more choice in rooms (your room won't be ready...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Pat909
Indianapolis, Indiana
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 3, 2013

The DNC reservations site does a poor job of describing this motel as I did not see any mention of there being no AC! It was 102 degrees each day we were in the park and there was no relief at the Inn following a full day of taking in the park's offerings. Plus, this motel cost $250 per night but was not worth even half that amount! It appears to me that park mgmt has elected to spend most of it's budget on lodging and staff at the Ahawanee and much less at the other lodging options. I get that the star attraction is the Park itself and we were in awe of this treasure. But because it is a difficult drive into and around the park, we felt it was a good idea to stay overnight in the park. For the room rate we expected much more from this motel and not meeting expectations is never a fun thing. We definitely will return to Yosemite but we also most definitely will not stay at the Yosemite Lodge!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
White Chief Mountain Lodge
#1 of 2 in El Portal
3.5 of 5 bubbles 3,616 reviews
Tenaya Lodge at Yosemite

Been to Yosemite Valley Lodge? Share your experiences!