“Torn between average and good; Dogwoods are in bloom”

Yosemite Valley Lodge
GreenLeadersSilver level
San Jose
“Torn between average and good; Dogwoods are in bloom”
Reviewed April 29, 2013

I decided to stay at the Lodge in Yosemite because I planned to photograph the valley after sunset and at crazy early in the morning, and didn't want to drive from Mariposa, about 45 minutes from the Highway 140 gate.

The Front Desk staff was polite, but, seemed a bit distracted. I checked in about 7pm-ish and there wasn't a lot of people waiting to be checked-in.

The Lodge uses keys, not ATM-style cards.

I was given the wrong keys, so I had to hike back to the Front Desk to exchange them.

The room was ok. There was hot water, but the pressure seemed to be a bit low.

The TV had local channels and some others. Mattress was not the best, nor, was it the worst.

Room had a 30-pin iPod dock.

Warning: do not leave food in your car; do not leave coolers in your car - bears understand the shape of coolers and know what is in side. And, even when you don't leave food in your car, the bears could sniff something, like what it smells, and rip your car apart like a knife through butter left on the picnic table during a 4th of July BBQ. If you are stupid and leave food or coolers in your car, and a bear rips open your car, besides the larger insurance bill, expect to receive a ticket from the Rangers for not following the rules. The bears are not like the bears at Yellowstone, which will eat you, but the bears in Yosemite will only nibble on you a bit. Make noise if you see a bear, and read the bear instructions on the sheet you receive from the Ranger at the entrance.

Make sure the door to your patio is double locked.

Expect sounds outside of your window/patio - raccoon, bears and other creatures roam.

My room had a small fridge and a laptop safe. I did not see a phone in the room.

The room was clean.

I would probably go back again. I made the reservation 6 months in advance. The Lodge is not a place you can just drive up to and expect to be able to get a room during the summer, or, during the Holidays.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
4 Thank bigbasin

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (984)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
SF Bay Area
Reviewed April 29, 2013

We had another long weekend stay at Yosemite Lodge; our previous visit was in a snowy March of 2012. Yosemite has to be on your bucket list: spectacular granite walls, glorious waterfalls (before June), wonderful walks/hikes, enjoyable ranger/naturalist talks, etc. The Lodge is less expensive than the truly expensive Ahwanee Hotel and more expensive than other choices of room lodging in the park. And you do want to stay in the park; it's a half-hour plus drive from the nearest hotel/motel outside the park. It's close to the Mountain Room restaurant for a nice dining experience and the cafeteria for a quick breakfast or lunch. Great ways to start or end the day.
The room was worn but clean and the daily refresher was fine. Beds a bit too firm for us but that's always a matter of taste. Nice folks at the desk.

Room Tip: Ask for a view of the falls.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank JCNagel
Richmond, Virginia
Reviewed April 29, 2013

OK, I understand that you're staying in Yosemite and it will cost a premium. But there is NO excuse for charging over $200 a night for a hotel and not having a phone in the room. And when asked about it, we're told that maybe its on the list of rooms where the phone isn't working, but no, it's not on the list. And they would fix it, but no. And check in time is 5pm for some reason. This was a recently painted and I believe "remodeled room". The room had an outside small patio area with a door where the insulated glass was duck taped to the door frame. The shower curtain was set too high to prevent water from the shower getting on the floor.

And the food, don't get us started. Breakfast was outrageously expensive and poor. Cold, black toast that we were told we could microwave to warm up. Coffee that was barely luke warm. Horrible.

2 Thank Sharon P
Lake Worth, Florida
Reviewed April 24, 2013

I was very disappointed from the start. There was a mixup in my reservation, and the clerk was prepared to not honor what I had in writing, but after I insisted I would not pay anything other than what I was quoted, he spoke with a manager and I paid what I was supposed to. Check in time is 5pm, and most rooms are not ready until then even though you can check in earlier. Once we got to our room, we discovered that is was probably in the worst location in the entire hotel. They have great little patios out back, but ours overlooked the back of the restaurant, including dumpsters and employee smoking area. The front was right on the road. The only saving grace was that if you turned your chair around on the patio, you had a perfect view of Eagle Point. So we tried to block out the other distractions and enjoy the view. The room itself was clean and comfortable, with a fridge. The bathroom was clean, but the toilet was loose and wiggled when you sat down. We did not use the shower as we were only there one night and got up early for skiing the next day. I recommend you stay here because it's in the middle of the park, just be particular with the room location!

Room Tip: Do not stay in Birch building. Elderberry probably has best view of falls, but is close to road as...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank lpslp87
United Kingdom
Reviewed April 24, 2013

After a 5 hour drive to the lodge we had to wait for 30 mins to get to the head of the queue to see the receptionist to check in. When eventually we negotiated our way to our room down what can only be called an alley between trash trolleys and accommodation blocks we found that our outlook was onto the boarding surrounding the swimming pool. We entered our room to find that the frame of the single window was broken and since it overlooked the alley could not be opened and therefore the only light was by way of dim artificial lights. The room itself was dingy and looked in need of a complete redecoration all in all for the nightly rate charged was unacceptable. Since we had made our bookings some 6 or 7 months previously and had expected to be accomodated in a room of an acceptable standard I made our feelings clear to reception and expressed our disappointment. We were then offered alternative accommodation at the Ahwanee hotel in the Yosemite valley at an substantially increased rate but decided to accept that since it was late in the evening.

10 Thank Ian H
San Francisco
Reviewed April 23, 2013

We were very pleased with our comforable king-bed room in the Tamarack building. I would guess that the adjacent Dogwood and Aspen buildings offer similar rooms (online map is available), which are totally modern and tasteful, very clean, have a small fridge, TV and WiFi, decent bath/shower with plenty of towels, plus a nice view of the trees. I think each building has 8 units, 4 upstairs and 4 down. Suggest staying upstairs with your own semi-private balcony and table/chairs. They also have vaulted ceilings so it seems to feel a little more spacious than downstairs. Pricey at around $250/nite inc. breakfast but you're right in the valley and wake up ready to do your daytime thing and not waste precious time. There are older buildings that may not offer such a nice experience so do check and try and get one of these more recently built ones. Ours was at the Yosemite Falls end of the lot so we took a couple moonlight walks to see them at night and were there in 5 minutes. There seem to be several of these more recent buildings so ask when you book.

We booked directly with DNC via their website www.yosemitepark.com and avoided a 10% service fee offered by some other website who's link appeared first via Google.

My only complaint is the crappy food at the Food Court. If it were good but expensive, or average but reasonable, I'd say 'you're at the park for the wonders of the park and not a fine dining experience and should have lower expectations'. But the Food Court is both expensive AND terrible. Since you're basically a captive audience its particularly annoying that the DNC company that runs the show doesn't take some steps to improve the offerings. No salad bar, watery mashed potatoes, grisly burger -- the worst institutional food that costs airport prices and is lower quality than that. Its obvious that no respectable chef regularly tastes whats being served. I can understand that every single item served has to be trucked in through a difficult route and maybe that adds to the cost. But at least make it decent! Shame on you, DNC.

The Mountain Room Lounge has a few OK salad, soup and sandwich options that seemed totally worth the extra few dollars. The Mountain Room itself has steaks and other higher-end items but at $20-$30 per entree, wasn't going to be a daily dinner option, especially if you have a family to feed.

Breakfast can be included as part of the bed & breakfast package when you book your room, and you get a $13 credit plus a coupon for large, good cup of coffee or tea from the cafe's Peets counter. I'd say do it if you're planning on breakfast at the cafe. We had good granola ($4), supplemented with fruit we brought and grabbed a sandwich and chips for lunch later ($9) to use up the $13. The plated traditional American breakfast of eggs/spuds/meat was I think $9 but one bite of the sausage my partner got was unpleasant and made you instantly wonder about exactly what it was ground up to make it.

The overall park experience was, and always will be, stunning. Don't think its one of the seven wonders of the world but it should be. Just bring as much picnic food as you can and be very careful at the Food Court.

5 Thank TripperSanFrancisco
Middleton, Wisconsin
Reviewed April 22, 2013

We stayed here over Spring Break and it was just what I expected. It is not luxurious but comfortable, clean and right where you want to be! Staff was courteous. There is a food court, bar and full restaurant there. The food court was disappointing. Not very good food. We did better going into the village and getting sandwiches for hiking at Degnan's deli. They were freshly made. I had a caprese and my husband italian They also have great egg sandwiches for breakfast. The bar was alright. The restaurant was very good but you do pay for it.

The only comment I would make is that I expected to have someone knowledgeable about hiking at the desk. We came in at 7 at night wanting to start early on a rigorous hike. The desk staff knew the basic little jaunts that were all close to the road but would give no further info. We were told to visit the ranger the next morning at 9am in the village. We ended up asking people in the bar for help. We did the upper falls hike to the point. Wonderful!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Rush Creek Lodge
#3 of 7 in Groveland
White Chief Mountain Lodge
#1 of 2 in El Portal

Been to Yosemite Valley Lodge? Share your experiences!