“The price to stay inside the park.”

Yosemite Valley Lodge
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed March 4, 2013

We paid $220/night to stay here in October. It was certainly a motel-quality lodging for hotel prices. However, we felt it was worthwhile to spend the money to be able to start our hikes early in the park. (If you stay outside the park, plan to add an extra hour travel time to get to the trailhead.) You should know that this place is rustic. For example, they did not have the heat turned on in October... but they do provide extra blankets and an electric space heater (which we definitely used to stay warm). I think we will plan on camping during our next trip (over the summer).

After a long day of hiking, we did enjoy drinks and dinner at the Mountain Room Lounge on site, which has a nice fireplace and lots of windows.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank RoadtripReviews
Write a ReviewReviews (3,956)

Reviewed March 1, 2013

I stayed in room 3629 at the Lodge for 5 nights at the end of February. I was in one of the non-renovated rooms in the building directly across the street from the main lodge area.

Pros: The location is awesome - you are right across the street from the trail to the falls as well as within walking distance of Cooks meadow and the Swinging bridge. The rooms are clean and have nice little balconies (even though I didn't use mine in February). There is a small mini fridge in the room. The shower was hot, which makes up for a lot in a hotel. The non renovated rooms are decidedly vintage, but seem to be fairly clean. Wifi in the room was slow but functional.

Cons: The non renovated rooms have the thinnest walls I have ever experienced in a hotel. You could hear every word of normal conversations next door. Crazy. Luckily, February is pretty quiet, and my neighbors went to bed early. But I could imagine being surrounded by families and normal tourists during the summer here and not getting much sleep. The other folks in my group ended up in the renovated rooms and said they did not have this issue. Also the heater is very loud as it cranks on and off during the night. Bring earplugs.

Overall, I will definitely stay here again. Being in the valley during my stay was worth it. However, I will try and book one of the renovated rooms next time. I believe DNC is calling those the "green" rooms. They mention on their site that they blew new insulation in the walls which would explain why the rest of our group didn't complain about noise from their neighbors.

• Stayed: February 2013
2  Thank Az_Rael77
Reviewed February 27, 2013

We were super excited to spend the night at the Lodge! I was only able to get a reservation for one night, but we were happy to at least get that.
I had read many reviews before we went and we were not expecting anything fancy. However, we lucked out and were assigned one of the remodeled rooms!! I didnt even ask for anything special and didnt realize we would be in the remodeled section until we opened the door. The room was beautiful and spacious. We had a TV, mini fridge and a super nice bathroom. Everything was top notch and brand new!
I would have rated the Lodge a five star if not for three things. The first is relatively minor, but since we were there in August and it was VERY hot it did matter quite a bit to us. The room was pretty warm. We did not have a traditional box fan, but we did have a ceiling fan. The problem was the ceiling fan was over the table and not the beds. It was so hot that my husband actually got up in the night and slept in the chair to be near the ceiling fan.
We knew this going in, but I wish you could check in before 5:00. Since you cant check in before 5:00 (I tried!) the line was quite long.
The other issue and this was a big one.....the pool closed so early. I cant remember if it was 5:00 or 6:00, but it was crazy early. I know most National parks dont even have a pool, so we did see it as a bonus. But then we wondered why bother to have a pool, when you basically close it just when people are checking in or after returning from a day of hiking. It seemed like a waste to not let guests use it.
We ate dinner in the food court and it was amazing!! The four of us all had different meals and all of our meals were great. I also didnt think they were over priced for what you got.
Overall we LOVED our stay and the three things that I mentioned did not outweigh all of the things we loved. We would stay here again in a heartbeat!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank Heidi C
Reviewed February 25, 2013

This hotel is all about location. If you want convenience than this is one of the best places to stay since you are right in the center of the park. The hotel rooms though are pretty ratty and dirty. For the prices they are charging I am sure they could keep them up a bit more but I would pretty much rate this a 1 or 2 star hotel.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank tubetop
Reviewed February 25, 2013

This is an international destination and the hotel is not even kept up. The only benefit of this hotel is the location. At the cafeteria, the food was usually just warm and not much selection. The staff at the bar were very friendly and good. But they need more selection on there menu.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Chas69
Reviewed February 25, 2013

My wife and I have made the Yosemite Lodge at the Falls our destination for celebration of our Anniversary for four of the last five years. We have rented a King room with the Bed & Breakfast option. Bedding is very comfortable, bathroom is small and dated. There is wireless internet available and minimal cable service. The B&B option gives you a voucher for each morning. It is redeemable at the Cafeteria at the Lodge where your breakfast is made to order. There is a specific cash value for the voucher so you can spend up to that limit. We usually got ourselves breakfast and coffee and still were able to get some fresh fruit for the trail. We found the staff to be very friendly, accommodating and knowledgeable about things to do in the park. Our anniversary is the first weekend in February so we are there at a time when the park is nearly deserted, though we have been to the park in all four seasons. If you've only seen Yosemite in Spring, Summer or Fall, you owe it to yourself to make at least one trip in winter. Even when we've had snow, it has not lasted long but makes for a gloriously peaceful scene. The highway through Mariposa and up the Merced is scenic and almost always passable even in poor weather. Be sure to see the "Spirit of Yosemite" film at the Visitor's Center as it is breathtaking! The Lodge also has naturalist programs and slide shows throughout the week and they are very informative. Our favorite hikes are from Happy Isles to the Falls bridge; the Mirror Lake road and the Yosemite Fall loop trail. We have celebrated with dinner at the Awahnee dining room which is truly exquisite in every sense of the word and will provide a wonderful memory for a special occasion. Also, the bar at the Lodge has a lovely fireplace and a nice light menu for a good meal. For another memorable meal you might try the Mountain Room at the Lodge. They have an extensive menu and delicious food! We think you will enjoy your visit to Yosemite Lodge.

Room Tip: The bed and breakfast plan is a good choice and rates are lowest in January & February.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Randy G
Reviewed February 24, 2013

The real benefit of staying at the Lodge is the park (obviously) and nobody would pay the rates if this wasn't where it is. But for a decent price, you get a solid breakfast at the canteen to set you up for the day, and access to the Falls area of the park on your doorstep. The proper Restaurant is probably a bit overpriced for what it is, but the bar does good food at a much better price. If you like walking, don't need The Ritz, and want to be in clean, comfortable motel-style rooms close to the things you want to do in the park, then it's hard to fault. Make sure to spend time in the bar if that's your thing, with it's (apparently famous) open fire-flume in the middle of the seating area. Really friendly crowd - barman threw me a beer from his backpack after closing time on our last night.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
#2 of 7 in Groveland
10 mi away
#1 of 2 in El Portal
Tenaya Lodge at Yosemite

Been to Yosemite Valley Lodge? Share your experiences!