4,133 results
All reviewsfood courtthe mountain room restauranthemlock buildingyosemite valleyceiling fansmall refrigeratorfood hallfamily roomgift shopshuttle buscoffee makerglacier pointcan't beat the locationtwo double bedsdining optionsamazing locationcurry village
Reviewed November 5, 2012

We visited Yosemite in October 2012 for my brother-in-law's wedding at the park and we stayed at the Lodge since the Awahnee was way more $$$. The Lodge is expensive too (it seems everything in CA is) but it was nice at least. I've stayed in nicer places for less money. The room was recently changed to "green" for the environment. The thing I didn't like is the energy efficient lighting. With all of the lights turned on in our room, you still couldn't read or do hardly anything in the room that needed light! I had to put my makeup on outside on the deck because the lighting was so horrible! If you're staying in Yosemite, I would choose this place because of price over the rest of the places available.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank jenmac75
Reviewed November 5, 2012

This is the worst hotel I've ever stayed in! This place is a complete dump. I would not even walk on the carpet barefoot. All the linens smelled stale and unwashed and we really didn't even want to use them but had no choice. However, the bed was actually comfortable. The walls are paper thin and you can hear your neighbors as if they were in your room. Luckily, I had earplugs. At a price of $244.00 a night, it was only worth maybe $40.00 a night. What you pay for is the location, which was right in the valley. These people should be ashamed to charge what they are charging for these rooms. The may have been nice 40 years ago but not now.
On the other hand, the Grand Tour that we took was wonderful! Our tour guide was an absolute wealth of information about Yosemite and John Muir. I guess he made up for the horrible accommodations. If you plan to go to Yosemite, you need to stay somewhere else.

Room Tip: There are no good rooms. They won't let you choose one of their newly updated "green" rooms. You take what they give you!
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 4, 2012

We have used trip advisor to help us plan several holidays with great success. Reading several reviews of each hotel allows us to get a good feel for how we would like a hotel and surrounding area. This choice however, proved more difficult as there were so many strongly diverging views about the lodge. I shall try to give a clear account of what to expect.
Firstly this lodge is a three star, despite the rate. It is important to understand that there is a premium for staying in the Yosemite valley regardless of the accommodation. All rates inside Yosemite are elevated (pardon the pun) because of market demand and the cost of operating and supplying services in such a remote location. The rate for the lodge falls between camping in the village and the five star lodge down the road. It seems steep until you look around and put it into perspective.
The room was clean, with rustic appointments, a comfortable bed and a view from the window and balcony that was outstanding. I have attached pictures which should speak for themselves.
We preferred to to purchase fruit, juice, granola and yoghurt from the store in the village and eat breakfast in the room, enjoying the view and not having to go out 1st thing. We made sandwiches which we packed for lunch each day (we stayed four nights) and ate at the lodge food court in the evenings. The food there was pretty good in spite of the cafeteria atmosphere.
My suggestions for improvement - coffee maker and microwave in the rooms would be good. It is understood that the rooms are directly accessed from outdoors (think motel) and people have dirty footwear from being in the park - but more aggressive cleaning of the carpets and stain removal would leave a much better impression.
The verdict - a clean place to stay with access to everything required for an excellent stay in the middle of one of the most significant natural wonders of the world. Would we do it again? YES!, in a heartbeat.

Room Tip: 2nd floor rooms seem best
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Halcy0ndays
Reviewed November 4, 2012 via mobile

Stayed for 2 nights. Beautiful views. Kids enjoyed seeing deers up close and right outside our deck. Rooms are very outdated. Would be awesome if they would modernize the rooms. Cafeteria food was so so but convenient. Views are worth the stay.

• Stayed: November 2012
1  Thank hungrykids
Reviewed November 4, 2012

I was expecting the rooms to be dated having read the reviews of this place. What I was not expecting was the lack of parking, and lack of outside lighting. We arrived in the dark (not particularly late as it was October), and had to wait some time to check in. We were told where the nearest parking to our building (Azalea) was. This was tiny and completely full. We then set off on an adventure into the pitch black to find a spot. What appeared to be parking spaces turned out to be bus stops on several occasions - the signs were almost impossible to see in the dark - we could easily have ended up in trouble the next day. We finally found a space.

Hot food is not served in any of their restaurants after 9pm so we went to eat. TAKE A TORCH!! The pathways and signs are not lit so if you do not know your way around you will quickly become lost, as the place is very big.

We then had to drag our stuff from the car to the building which was hard to find. We decided just to take what we needed for our one night stay as the walk from the car was so long, of course we also had to take all of our toilteries due to the bear risk. There really is a parking issue here. Lots of people were arriving at the same time as us as could not find parking, one family had been looking for 20 minutes.

The room was large, dated, had a patio and small TV. We were not bothered about this as I was not expecting 5* rooms.

We woke up in the morning to the beautiful granite walls of the Valley. What a location.
Despite the problems I would still suggest that if you can visit Yosemite you should, and if you can stay in the valley you should. Choose between the very very expensive Ahwahnee, the expensive and shoddy Yosemite Lodge, or tents.

You won't regret it, this place is like nothing else on earth.

Room Tip: You could try asking for a recently renovated room, this did not work fo me, but no harm in trying!
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple