“Good Location”

Yosemite Valley Lodge
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed October 7, 2012

We stayed for 4 nights in August as we travelled from Vegas, Death Valley stopped here then onto San Fransisco. we has a deluxe room in Azalea which was upstairs. Well the room was not what I would call deluxe but had a king size bed, table, 2 chairs a table & 2 chairs on the balcony.The bathroom was a big let down although clean reminded me of a nhs hospital bathroom.The location of this hotel is ideal all the trips go from here & a free shuttle bus goes around the valley which is a good service.We ate in the Ahwahnee a few times which is much better than this but very pricey to stay at, the restuarant here is o.k staff a bit strange though.Yosemite has breathtaking scenery a must to visit so although the accommodation isn't great everything else about yosemite makes up for it.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank smokeyamber
There are newer reviews for Yosemite Valley Lodge

Reviewed October 6, 2012

We arrived at the Lodge at 8.00pm after a long drive from Napa Valley. Check in was 5.00pm and they clearly had allocated rooms on a 'first come, first served' basis as we were given what must have been the oldest room on the site even though we had upgraded to a higher standard of room and booked months ago. I don't think I have ever seen a more ancient room. There were cobwebs on the lamps; the room was dirty! We went back to the front desk but they could not move us as they were full and we spent a very uncomfortable night there. They did offer a partial refund for that night and moved us the next day, to a much better room although I would say even this was not anything special. At least it was clean though!! The moral of the story is to get to check in asap and don't let them put you in Laurel block under any curcumstances!!!
PS To be fair, there is some evidence of improvements being made but I would ask to see the room first before you take your suitcases out of the car!

Room Tip: Ask to see the room before you accept it.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank KandM881
Reviewed October 5, 2012

This was our first trip to Yosemite. I am an extremely picky traveler when it comes to hotel rooms and after reading so many negative reviews, I was very nervous about our stay at the Lodge. We booked a king deluxe lodge room 8 months ago and requested a green room or a recently renovated room. As our trip neared, I called the reservation line a couple of times to make sure that room request was in the system. We had very low expectations of the lodge and told ourselves that if we felt uncomfortable or if it was really dirty, we would check out and stay somewhere else. We were assigned to the Elderberry Building which is right by the road - not my ideal location but as we walked to our room, we decided that we would choose cleaniless over location. We were very surprised at how nice the room was. It was not a green room but it had been renovated recently - the carpet was new, bathrooms were clean and bright, and it was very clean. We felt very comfortable. The only issue I had with the room is that it was very dark - the lighting was inadequate.

The room location was not ideal and we did think it was kind of noisy, but we usually fell into a deep sleep each night after hiking all day. The overall resort needs to be updated. We ate dinner in the lounge one night and were disappointed with the selection and food. We loved the shuttle and the location of the lodge. I would definitely stay there again!

Room Tip: Request a renovated room when making the reservation. 2nd floor rooms have a balcony.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank pixiestix
Reviewed October 5, 2012

It was worth staying in this lodge to be close to the incredible scenery that is Yosemite. We were short for time so staying here on our drive from Vegas to San Fran was a good choice. The room was clean but very old. It felt like an old YMCA camp. The food court was barely edible but for one night we could put up with it. If we had more time I'd camp.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Shona L
Reviewed October 5, 2012 via mobile

We were happy to find a room in the park, even though it was very expensive. The room was not updated and was upstairs with no elevator. It did have a king size bed, which was nice. We had to have both fans running to keep the room cool enough to sleep. The information said to keep the door shut to keep raccoons and mice out, but that didn't let in any air because the windows didn't open. They gave us vouchers to get free coffee or tea at the snack shop so we enjoyed coffee as we walked out to see the falls! Probably wouldn't stay there again, due more to the cost than anything else.

• Stayed: October 2012
1  Thank Travelgirlslife
Reviewed October 4, 2012

This was the worst room I have experienced on my travels. Bugs in the room, cobwebs in the room, foul odor in the room and carpets was so dirty that my socks were black after walking in the room. The locks to the deck had been broken and they were left hanging with some kind of a replacement lock. No coffee in the room but that was fine because I didn't want to be there for tome to drink it. Towels were rough and scratchy and felt like sandpaper. The bed was terribly uncomfortable. It is a shame that such a wonderful place as Yosemite has such a terrible place carrying it's name. They seem to count on the name to lure people into the lodge. The restaurants and shops were okay as pictured above but the food was very expensive in the main restaurant and was just okay. I think Yosemite should not allow the place to carry their name.
I didn't feel safe there. You could see where the lock on the front door had been replaced but they didn't both to repair the door. I would rather stay in my car instead of the lodge.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank Beck48
Reviewed October 3, 2012

My husband and I frequent Yosemite often. We typically stay at Ahwahnee but last weekend they were booked so I made a reservation here. I honestly did not know what to expect of the room. When we arrived to our room I was surprised. We ended up getting put in a renovated building at the front of the property. The bathroom was fabulous, furnishings nice and had a great view. I like that every thing in the room was Earth Friendly. i could tell they worked hard during renovation to fit the feel of Yosemite and its Natural beauty in to the rooms. According to the front desk staff not all buildings have been renovated yet. If you want a really nice room ask for the front buildings that overlook the falls. I know I will request this building next time I stay. While here we ate at The Mountain Room restaurant. Food was good as well as service. We also took the full moon tour which was really informative. We liked how close we were to great trails as well as the meadows and swing bridge which make for great star gazing. Because of is location, we were able to get to most sites on foot and rarely had to get in the car. Overall we really enjoyed our stay here and will be back.

Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Rush Creek Lodge
#3 of 7 in Groveland
White Chief Mountain Lodge
#1 of 2 in El Portal

Been to Yosemite Valley Lodge? Share your experiences!