“Great staff, and great location”

Yosemite Valley Lodge
GreenLeadersSilver level
Jacksonville, FL USA
“Great staff, and great location”
Reviewed June 26, 2011

We stayed 3 nights at the beginning of June, and were lucky enough to get a room in the Manzania units, that had a great view from our patio of Yosemite Falls. Loved sitting out there every morning having our coffee (bring your own coffee pot, as there is not one in the room), watching and listening to the Falls. Check in took a little longer than we thought, but Ben at the reservation desk was so nice, and it gave us a chance to look around a bit. In fact everyone of the staff there were great, from, Lupa, that delivered our luggage to the room, to Tonika, the housekeeper. THe room was large, and clean, but the patio was the best. Woke up one morning to find 3 deer, feeding in the grassy area behind our room...wow! The free shuttle runs every 15 mins, so there's no need to use your car. THe food court offered a wide variety, from grilled hambugers to lasgane, and of course pizza. Ate one night at the Mountain restaurant, and the food was good, with a great view of the falls from almost any seat. Since we only had 3 days, we didn't want to spend all our time driving in and out of the park, so I can't say enough about the location!! Yes, it's pricey...but you just can't beat it for the location and amineties it offers. A walk across the street will take you to the bottom of Yosemite Falls...it doesn't get any easier than that! I would definitely recommend this place, and hope to go back and stay there again someday.

Room Tip: Try to get unit 4507/ Manzanita- BEST VIEW ever
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
5 Thank briansnana

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (959)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed June 22, 2011

This was all we could get for lodging in the park and it was fine. Yes it's old and motel like but with the nice pool and the heat we experienced it was good enough. Spend the money stay in the park and eat all your meals from your cooler and you will be ok. If it is hot don't stay on the second floor as it gets hot up there and there is no ac.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
4 Thank chitownfisher
CA
Reviewed June 21, 2011

Yosemite Lodge has a great location near Yosemite Falls and has a food court, shops, a pool, and other amenities on site. A free shuttle bus links the Lodge with many other locations throughout the park, including Yosemite Village and campgrounds. Valley floor tours leave from the Yosemite Lodge on a regular basis.

First things first. Reservations. Their online reservation system is easy to use. If you have trouble getting reservations, keep trying. Something usually opens up! With a little patience, I was able to book two rooms - although it did take me a couple of weeks of diligently checking availability. I got the first room pretty quickly, but it took a couple of weeks for another room to become available. We were delighted when we checked in to find that the system had connected the dots even though the reservations were made at different times and given us rooms next to one another, with a connecting door.

Parking is miserable. If you find a spot, take it - even if it isn't near your room. Then stay parked and take the shuttle.

If you don't like stairs, see if you can get a ground level room. There are no elevators and you will have to lug not only your suitcases, but all food and coolers, into your room as bears are a problem in Yosemite and have a nasty habit of breaking into cars.

The rooms at the lodge are expensive, but don't think you are booking a room at the Ritz. The rooms are very, very, very basic with a minimum of amenities, although our room did have a small safe and a small refrigerator, which I don't remember having in the past. Linens are thin and rough. There is no air conditioning and the valley gets warm in the summer. Unfortunately, the heater in our room wouldn't shut off, so we were getting a low level of heat throughout the day and night, which made our room a little uncomfortable. Also, the cold water in our bathroom sink didn't work. I know this is a very busy time of year at Yosemite, but a little maintenance would be in order.

Another concern was that my grandson found a prescription pill lying on the floor which should have been found by housekeeping and not by a 4 year old.

Once you move past the fact that the rooms are only a step or two above camping, you appreciate having a private bathroom with a warm shower and small patio or deck in one of the most beautiful places in the world.

Tip: the food court is busy in the morning. Take the shuttle over to the Ahwahnee for a lovely (but somewhat expensive) breakfast.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
5 Thank NevermindCA
Selbyville
Reviewed June 20, 2011

The service was great. At the front desk they were always smiling.
The tours were good. This way you can find your way around the park.
The food was good. They need to have more people on the check out lines in the cafa.
The rooms need to be update. I did not like having the soap and shampoo in containers. I like to know that no one else touch them.
Once you park your car don't take it out again until you are ready to leave the park. You will have a very hard time finding another parking space.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank tripselbyville
Hayward, California
Reviewed June 17, 2011

I hadn't been to Yosemite in the snow for 15 years or more. It is much more difficult to get around - both walking and driving - but it was beautiful. Not sure why they couldn't have spread some sand on the parking lots and walkways though - I almost fell several times.

I took my son and his girlfriend to celebrate my son's birthday. I booked two rooms at the lodge - which was a good place to stay since it's close to dining. Having the free wi-fi was also great since we couldn't get out and about as much as in the summer.

As in the past, the room was roomy and clean. However, I had forgotten how loud it can be. I could easily hear the conversations from the room on the other side of me - I'm not saying just voices but actual words and conversations!

That being said - I would stay again because of the convenience of being right there in the park. It's great to be able to wander around in the evenings or early mornings before all of the people who are staying outside of the park arrive or after they depart!

We ate mostly at the cafeteria, which is not a problem. They have a menu with great variety and the food is always good - though a bit pricey. For the birthday dinner we ate at the fancier restaurant - which was good but even more pricey. I just chalked it up to the fact that bringing all of that food into the valley must cost a lot of $$$.

Summing it up - Yosemite never disappoints!

Room Tip: Book early - rooms fill up fast!
  • Stayed December 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank ATerrapin
Castle Cary, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 17, 2011

Yes, they do have a great location,but what a pity they seem to be just relying on that fact alone to bring in the punters.Why would you want to stay in what looks like a painted metal container with windows cut into it? The bathroom was a disgrace with horrible grouting and a rusty old bathtap.The towels were well past their sell by date.Full marks for the speed with which items missing from the room were found,but that rather begs the question as to why they were missing in the first place.I don't expect to see electric flashes when I unplug something from the socket.The food was ok but do you you really want to eat it out of a plastic container?On our three week trip this was the worst hotel we stayed in and if I was going to Yosemite again I certainly would not stay here.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank brownbear250
calif
Reviewed June 16, 2011

This is the hotel to stay at if you are among the few who can get a reservation.
They take reservations one year in advance and can cancel 1 week before arrival without penalty. If nothing on line try calling and then call again another day. Keep trying things do open up. I have stayed here many times over the years.Location can not be beat. Walked 5 minutes to Lower Yosemite Falls at sunrise from our room and had the Falls to ourselves. Parking lot steps away from the buildings
During the day you will share the Falls with thousands (during the summer)
Best rooms are in the following separate buildings:(if you have a choice): Aspen but not by ice machine:Dogwood,& Tamarack .We had a lower floor so did not have to carry
luggage and all food* up stairs. These 3 building are closest to the falls (across the street)And parking lot is just steps away from the buildings
At registration you will be given a lecture/and they have a video playing showing a bear breaking into a car/and you will sign a form indicating that you understand that you must remove all food (including drinks) from you parked car...and that you may get a $5000 fine and/or have your car towed away.
Unfortunately I left an empty 12 pack of soda on my back seat...at 11:30PM I received
a call from the front desk that the Rangers had "noticed food in my car" and I must remove it. I did. If you decide to leave food in your car you may want to discuss in advance which one of you is going out late at night to the car! when that phone call comes in.

Room Tip: Try to get lower level of Dogwood/Tamarck/Aspen
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
White Chief Mountain Lodge
#1 of 2 in El Portal
3.5 of 5 bubbles 3,711 reviews
Tenaya Lodge at Yosemite

Been to Yosemite Valley Lodge? Share your experiences!