All reviews clouds rest a wonderful stay day hiking chalet yosemite valley half park dome california
Reviewed July 19, 2012

We stayed at Suite Sunshine for three nights with our two children. Yosemite West is a private development accessible from within the park and a short drive to Glacier Point and the Valley Floor and many fantastic hikes. The place is cosy, clean, nicely decorated and completely outfitted with everything you would need, including barbecue, pots, pans, seasonings, towels, dishwasher, fridge that dispenses ice, etc. There is a tv, dvd, vcr, and air conditioning. It is peaceful place to relax after a day's hiking and is away from the hustle and bustle of the Valley Floor. Unless you have mobility issues, the stairs were not a problem. The owner, who lives downstairs, is very friendly and has a wealth of information on the park and surrounding areas. She gave us excellent advice on our drive from Lake Tahloe. I really enjoyed sitting on the deck in the evening, looking at the stars. You are high up so it feels like being in the trees. Just perfect.

Room Tip: Book early.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
9  Thank Mags5757
Reviewed November 8, 2011

Our stay here was like a little piece of heaven on earth! The cosy cottage situated amongst friendly trees served as the perfect, peaceful place for our busy family to relax and unwind. It is well equipped, providing everything from cutlery to a snowman-making kit (which conveniently comes with a nose - no carrots needed). The small little touches, including the old-fashioned telephone, the portraits of dancing bears, and the tiny quote books tucked away here and there, gave the feeling of a home that has been loved and lived in. Our host, Doe, was friendly, helpful and extremely creative (the wooden bears on the porch were carved by her). Playing with snow (till we got frostbite) by day, gazing at the brilliant stars by night, driving home surrounded by a Yosemite sunset, our stay was definitely a beautiful and memorable one.

Room Tip: A great place if you prefer to be away from the hustle of crowds.
  • Stayed: December 2010, traveled with family
5  Thank FamilyWith6
Reviewed September 17, 2011

I am not someone who has felt compelled to write a review until we stayed at Suite Sunshine. There are many things that were left out of the property description that we felt should be included... First and foremost is that this home is a duplex and the owner lives in the downstairs. Second is you have to take your garbage to a dumpster in the Yosemite Valley not in the Yosemite West area. Third if you care to stay in a place that is clean, do not stay here. Major cobwebs and dust! Fourth simply for the amount of money one would think that the simple things like finishes would be in place like not having painted cardboard on the front of the dishwasher with white duct tape as the trim to finish the edges!? Fixing the screen door to the deck so the bugs stay out. The pictures are also deciving, along with the description....be prepared there are about 40 stairs below what the pictures show. This wouldn't normally be a big deal but when you have to pack luggage, coolers etc. it proves to be a challenge and an inconvienence. The parking is also to be desired unless you are in a small vehicle and don't mind having to move cars around to allow the owner to come and go.? Also note that if you are staying in the summer this place does not have air conditioning, when we arrived it was 89 degrees inside and out!

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with friends
20  Thank Anna T
yosemiteClimber, Owner at Yosemite Vacation Homes, responded to this reviewResponded January 7, 2012

In response to Ms. T's (or the September) review of my home, I would like to say that yes, I live downstairs and most visitors appreciate that as I am able to give them advice and directions and in the 15 years I have been in this business no one has ever counted that as a minus. The guest book in my rental is full of compliments on the cleanliness of my home; her description of major dust and cobwebs simply isn’t true. I have taken her advice and put notes on my website about the number of steps leading up to the house. I agree this is important for potential guests to know. The screen door, which was damaged by a renter shortly before her arrival, has been replaced and the dishwasher as well. The manufacturer of the dishwasher did have a poor design and the front panel, which was plastic, did pop off after many years of use. It is hard during the busy season in this remote location to get an appliance changed out in a day. As soon as I had an opportunity this was addressed. It still performed its function however, and I did my best to make it look ok. The driveway is wide enough for most cars to negotiate while I park my car in a space to the side. Ms Tindall is correct, a very large extended length dually pick-up was too large for my driveway. For the record they never had to move their car for me to leave for work. Regarding air conditioning, to be fair, there are few accommodations here at this elevation, 6000 feet, with air conditioning. There are 2 or 3 months where it can get very warm here but it cools down rapidly at night. If you follow the simple instructions on opening windows at night and using the fans that are in every room, this is not a problem. I offered to dispose of her trash and recycling, like I do for all my guests, but they declined. I’m sorry that Ms T had so many complaints about her stay. I never heard a word about them during her stay and like she said, I was just downstairs.

Barbara, Owner & Operator of Suite Sunshine

Reviewed July 5, 2011

My husband and I stayed in the Sage cabin on a recent trip to Yosemite. The cabin is located in Foresta - a very quick drive to the valley attractions. The cabin was beautifully furnished and very comfortable. Everything that we needed was there, including pots, pans, salt/seasonings, towels and basic toiletries including shampoo, conditioner and lotion. The outdoor Jacuzzi was wonderful - it was situated in the backyard amongst a field of Lupine flowers. It's the perfect way to relax after climbing Half Dome!

I was a little hesitant about paying for the cabin in full before we arrived, but everything worked out just as it stated it would. No need to worry.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
4  Thank FRIENDinPA84
Reviewed July 1, 2011

What an absolute delight! We consider ourselves fortunate to have experienced the beauty and magnificence of Yosemite in such a gorgeous accommodation. Set in the quiet surroundings of West Yosemite, a 25 minute drive from the bustle of Yosemite village, the property is a typical duplex style house of which the upper floor is the rental. It is a bit of climb up 34 steps to the front door from the car parking and then there are 10 more steps inside to the accommodation, but it is worth it.
The open plan reception/kitchen/dining area is spacious, well equipped and very comfortable. The bedrooms are a good size, each with its own en-suite – the master en-suite is very spacious – with comfortable queen beds in each.
There is loads of storage, but you may need to bring spare clothes hangers, there are only a few in the wardrobes.
It is somewhat remote but not too difficult to find if you follow the excellent directions Barbara provides but, if self-catering, you will need to shop before you get into the Park itself as there are very limited options once you get there – there are grocery stores in Wawona and Yosemite village but they can be pricey.
Be aware that there is no air-conditioning to the property but, even though it was quite hot when we were there in June the nights were cool enough to sleep comfortably.
There is a lovely small sun terrace leading from the living area – though we didn’t see the hummingbirds that previous guests had mentioned – shame!
We enjoyed every minute here. It is a great base for the park both to get out and about as well as to relax and enjoy the whole experience of Yosemite.

Room Tip: book early
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple