“Misty rainbows, beautiful falls but be aware - strenuous climb back up” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Uncle Tom's Trail

Uncle Tom's Trail
Glen Allen, Virginia
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 19 helpful votes
“Misty rainbows, beautiful falls but be aware - strenuous climb back up”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 1, 2013

As with all other reviews, the important detail about this trail is that it is a strenuous return climb. The stairs are a metal grid and it did occur to me that anyone with vertigo or a fear if heights did not belong on them. This is too difficult a climb back for small children also. It is a beautiful trek and if you take your time, rest and take advantage of the benches where available it is manageable. And yes there is a walk to even reach the steps, and then the return walk to your vehicle. There is a sign at the start with all the usual warnings and people need to read that before embarking.

• Chinese (Traditional) first
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Not worth the climb back up!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 1, 2013

I thought the view from the bottom of the steps is just as good as the view from the top. It wasn't worth the climb back up the steps.

Reading, Pennsylvania
29 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 29 helpful votes
“Must be in shape”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 29, 2013

This was one thing I want to do in yellowstone but my wife did not like the idea of 326 stairs steps down the the canyon wall at lower falls. It only took me 4 1/2 min to go down but 20 to climb back up it is very steep but the view of the falls are worth the pain

Monroe, New York
79 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 86 helpful votes
“This is a cardio workout”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 29, 2013

I decided to try the trail and see how far I got. The view is beautiful. The metal steps are steep. Going down was not to bad, but when I got to about 252 and there was a platform and I looked back up, I decided not to finish. I was still able to get great pic of the falls close up and I got a great rainbow. Now I am in my mid 60's and don't work out, so... the climb back up was a killer. I wondered if I had a heart attack, what would happen to me !! This included short rest stops, even then my legs began to feel like rubber. Finally I reach the top of the stairs only to realize I still have another 1/4 to 1/2 mile uphill to go with 23 MORE steps. I'm alive and I'm happy I had the experience.

1 Thank ct782
Greater Newcastle, Australia
54 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 82 helpful votes
“Close up”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 26, 2013

If you want to get really close to the lower falls then be prepared for the 300 or so steps down and then back up to the top.As you can see through the metal steps on the way down it gives you more of a feeling of the heights you are descending. A bit difficult if you have bifocals.Well worth the effort to get rainbow shots-probably better to visit in the morning.

Visited August 2013