“Did It With Kids On Our Backs!”
Review of Uncle Tom's Trail

Uncle Tom's Trail
Reviewed October 3, 2012

My husband and I each had a child in a carrier we wore when we did this trail. It really wasn't as bad as people make it sound. I work out about 4 times a week, and my legs did not burn at all when we climbed back up. The thing that I found difficult was being able to breath as I climbed the stairs as such a high altitude. You just need to stop every little bit and get your breath. There are plenty of benches and ways to do that no problem. I even walked up and down several a portions of the stairs several times with my carrier on for different pictures. It really wasn't hat bad. It was a work out, but totally doable. I was even up for another hike to the bottom area of different falls a few hours later. The falls were beautiful and the view was great. This trail doesn't actually go to the base of the falls, but rather about 2/3 of the way down. This was a great hike, and a must do if you are in good health and in the area.

4  Thank KerenElise

Reviewed October 1, 2012

This is a steep trail and let the short distance not fool you. They give sufficient warnings but its easy to assume it will be ok. The views however, if you do make it down are amazing and most of the time you should be able to view a beautiful rainbow. Its pretty impressive especially to read the story of how Uncle Tom would get all his guests down there back in the day.

1  Thank TravelKish
Reviewed September 29, 2012

There is nothing to dislike :) I must find the right words. In this case words do not explain. You can visit, but to live the lifestyle is beyond description.

Reviewed September 29, 2012

The trail is very steep, it does offer many places to stop either going down or coming up the trail. The view along the trail and at the bottom is spectacular. If you're in pretty good shape - and not in a hurry - you could do this hike. The stairs and platforms are steel grate - just be careful and hold the handrail.

2  Thank Cobbikaze
Reviewed September 28, 2012

I read several reviews stating that the hike is strenuous... well, it is not. For sure the 300+ stairs are steep and not everyone can do it, so I would suggest that small children, aged people avoid it but we did it with my two children (12 and 10) in quite a short time and we came up not so tired.
The view is great all along the stairs, so I would recommend that you stop taking pictures not only at the trail bottom, but all over the path.
The main problem is the number of people around, but definitely it is a great observation point for wonderful Lower Falls

2  Thank Corrado R