“I read the reviews for places to eat while in Yellowstone and the reviewers didn't let me down!”

Lake Yellowstone Hotel Dining Room
Cuisines: American
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Pleasant Grove, Utah
Reviewed August 24, 2014

We took a family vacation to Jackson Hole and Yellowstone. We had 4 cars and 17 people....my husband, our 3 married sons and their children (8 grandchildren) and my mother-in-law.
I had read up on the reviews for places to eat at Yellowstone and this restaurant was the place to go! It was 7:30-8pm and we were all tired and hungry (feeding the children this late was hard, too). As it got close to 6pm, I kept trying to call ahead to make reservations but I could not get service. Expecting that NOT that many people would be eating at 8pm, our group parked and we walked in. (There was a piano being played in the large and spacious lobby area.....beautiful, old wooden floors.....made me think of the Titanic.....the ambiance was exceptional.....) There was a line to be seated and the restaurant was super busy! I was waiting for my turn to ask if they could seat all of us (praying). When it was my turn, I asked the Hostess if there was any way she could seat 17, she wasn't rude at all, but inquired nicely "how many children?".....she kind of gave me a doubtful look. I explained that we had tried to get phone service for a couple of hours and that I had read that Trip Advisor highly recommended their restaurant. She went and got her manager and I told him that we were willing to split up to separate tables......we were seated within 15 minutes! Our waiters were GREAT, the food was outstanding! I had the pork tenderloin and it was fresh and delicious! My son had a bison steak and he let all of us at our table try and bite and it was soooo tender! Our other table of 8 had a bison steak too and they raved about their food! I wish that I could remember the manager's name because he saved us:)
Thank you for accommodating us!

• Visited August 2014
2 Thank Dawn125_3

Victor, Idaho
“Great Bloody Mary”
Reviewed August 23, 2014 via mobile

The bartender at the Lake Lodge is terrific. It was raining today and so my boyfriend and I decided to skip the hike and get a drink in the lobby. Beautifully furnished, the lobby offers views of the lake, pleasant company, and a top quality bar. I enjoyed the Bloody Mary and heard that the Huckleberry Vodka Lemonade was also great. Worth a stop while making the Grand Loop in Yellowstone.

Minnesota
“Great Food and Fast Service”
Reviewed August 23, 2014

What a great place to unwind and have a nice dinner. We had excellent service and great food. It also came very quickly. Reservations well in advance are essential, and you must be on time for your reservation. We did not stay at the hotel and enjoyed the venue for drinks and dinner.

Visited August 2014
Tustin, California
“Cool building - poor service- adequate food”
Reviewed August 20, 2014

This restaurant is almost worth visiting due to the architecture alone. You really feel like you're in "Old Yellowstone". It is historical and beautiful and makes you think of the many conversations, over many years, that have taken place while breaking bread there.

I'm disappointed, however, to tell you that the service was poor. We waited almost 20 minutes for a server and finally when she showed up she said, "I couldn't see you guys behind the pillar". She used that excuse three times during our meal. Seriously. Just so you are aware, our table was in the middle of the dining room and the server told us she'd worked there many years. So, we got one serving of water drinks, and bread. The food was satisfactory, a step up from the nearby cafeteria, and we mostly enjoyed our meal (even without our drinks).

A reminder that when you get the bill be prepared for a bit of "sticker shock" as it is expensive. It is said that this is the best restaurant in Yellowstone- not sure if that's a commentary on the quality of this restaurant or the poor quality elsewhere.

• Visited July 2014
Evesham, United Kingdom
“Good food, but noise is like a school canteen”
Reviewed August 19, 2014

You need to make a reservation here, but even when doing so well in advance you are only offered times around 5pm or after 9pm. It is a large restaurant and serves from 5-10pm every night, but it struggles to handle the demand. The food is good, but people have very few alternatives near by. So they struggle to meet the bookings and even with a 9pm reservation, you can wait another 30 mins for your table to be ready. The scrum outside the restaurant entrance does not make for a relaxing start to your meal.
Once inside the noise in the restaurant reminds you of a school canteen. Wooden floors, no curtains and mirrored walls echo every sound 10 fold. Add to this the noise of the many children who have been left without food until 9pm and no wonder the environment is so unpleasant.
The service is usually quick once at the table and the food flavours can be good. We ate here 4 times during our stay (as we had little alternative options) and the volume pressures did expose some cooking flaws; like under-cooked pasta, over-cooked and dry chicken and pork. The menu is varied but not large and some dishes were unavailable each time we dined.
This restaurant suffers from the lack of local competition, which would both raise the standards and ease the volume.
Very pricy, for a far from relaxing experience.

• Visited August 2014