“Best food in park”

Cuisines: American
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed August 18, 2014

Pricey, with slow service. However our meals were great. The food and wine selection exceeded my (low) expectations for a national park. The salmon tartare and pear salad were amazing. The breakfast buffet was good too.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,009)

Reviewed August 15, 2014

Very, very, very, very expensive place to stay in a national park. At $400 a night, I'd expect more amenities (chocolate on the pillow, pool, workout room, wifi, back rub, HDTV, etc.). But considering we we staying at a NP, I guess they can sell the ambiance...

It is a pretty building, with a very opulent feel, music, nice staff. The rooms were clean, and acceptably dated. Bathrooms were very clean, but had a ceiling light that NEVER turned off. They said it was a safety feature... Hallways were being painted and the outside scraped, though surprisingly the smell in the hallway never permeated into the rooms. Ample parking that filled quickly at night.

No AC, but not needed. No workout room. No wi-fi. No cellular connectivity. Breakfast off-site... Any number (mileage or time) that the staff quotes, multiply by 1.5!

Everything in the park is solid drive, so assume at least 30-45 minutes to anywhere, and if bison are around you better hope you don't have to hit the bathroom. For this reason alone, I'd suggest staying outside the park, saving a few bucks, have wifi and HD... Limit your stay at the Yellowstone hotel or simply visit, but don't do what we did and stay for a lengthy, overly expensive time.

Money could be spent better.

Oh yeah, a big positive... THE ONLY STARBUCKS COFFEE IN THE PARK. All other park coffees taste like colored water.

1  Thank IraIneptio
Reviewed August 14, 2014

Decided to treat ourselves to 1 "nice" night of dining during our 1 week stay at Yellowstone.

1st problem: after a reasonable wait, our waiter dropped our entire order on the floor. Accidents happen, but a manager never even bothered stopping by to apologize for the delay or ask if there was anything they could do while we waited for our food to be recooked.

2nd problem: the food was bland

3rd problem: Our waitress asked us how our food was. I honestly answered that it wasn't very good. Her very first comment was "well, it looks like you ate most of it". Really? When I blow $35 on a plate of food I eat it. In addition, 2 of the other 5 at the table had full plates of garbage they found unpalatable. After my complaint, not another word said. Again, no manager and no offer to bring something more to our liking.

4th problem: grossly overpriced. If it was good it would've just been ridiculously expensive, but it wasn't even average. I'd have rather eaten canned soup, at least I could've put some seasoning on it.

I'd fast before eating here again. Don't waste your money, eat elsewhere.

3  Thank mike d
Reviewed August 13, 2014

We stayed at Lake Yellowstone Hotel this past week with our two grandsons, 9 and 10 years old. We ate at the hotel dining room all three nights in part because one of the boys needs to eat gluten-free and the menu offered some great choices. We had early reservations on all three nights but could not get out of there in less than an hour (on the last night 1.5 hours). The servers are all young people hired from around the world and seemed hard- working. The problem appears to be the kitchen. Even when ordering simple dishes such as salads the wait was excessive. On the last night we ordered drinks at the bar before entering the dining room thinking that if we eliminated that step the food would arrive sooner. Wrong. It was the slowest night yet. Granted, a waiter dropped a fully loaded tray so perhaps that slowed the kitchen even more. We heard several other tables complain about the wait.( By contrast, the breakfast buffet was delicious and we could get in and out in under 30 minutes.) On a positive note, every item we ordered was tasty-Salmon, trout, pork loin, pasta were all delicious and we were happy with the variety of gluten-free entrees. Please better manage the kitchen!

1  Thank RetiringCouple
Reviewed August 10, 2014

Just wasn't that impressed for what is supposed to be one of the nicest restaurants in the park. The Caesar Salad was so drowned in salad dressing I couldn't eat it, and the croutons were regular boxed variety. Mentioned the drowning to the waitress as a heads up who didn't seem to care in the least. Had the duck and mushroom risotto as my entree, which should have been had been billowing in flavor, but really had very little taste. Even as an appetizer the portion should have been larger. In a restaurant where you are paying $30 for an entree you'd hope there was a chef around somewhere actually giving extra effort, including homemade croutons. My husband had the trout, my daughter the lobster ravioli, both of which they said was good. Children's menu has a lot of options but is the same in every single restaurant, and the mac and cheese is just blue box Kraft. Although they offer some variety in side dishes for the kids so you can avoid french fries at every meal. A missed opportunity for this restaurant is lack of outdoor seating -- they have a deck that is begging for some tables, and a beautiful view that is missed out on.

1  Thank travelgames