“Stock-standard canteen”

Canyon Lodge Cafeteria
Cuisines: American, Fast Food
Good for: Families with children, Dining on a budget, Kids, Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Buffet, Seating, Takeout, Wheelchair Accessible
Cape Town Central, South Africa
“Stock-standard canteen”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2014

Standard cafeteria food at standard (ie: high!) national park prices. The service was good, the portions are large and the cheesecake was quite excellent. There aren’t many other choices for a square meal in the area unless you’ve brought your own.

• Visited June 2014

• Hebrew first
  • Polish first
Seattle
“Amazing: Industrial food that was very good (and fast)”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 5, 2014

Anyone who's been to Yellowstone National Park will tell you that June in the Park=thousands of tourists. They all want to eat at the same time. We'd spent most of the morning hiking and were famished, and entered the Gift Shop/Cafeteria to meet: a line. It was 12.30. I thought, oh god, we'll be here for hours. ]
I was wrong, it took about twenty minutes. A young man at the entrance into the cafeteria was almost running the entire time, looking for stools at the old fashioned style lunch counter. He put every member of each party next to each other, and that wasn't easy, considering how many people were there. For instance, there was a party of six behind us and he found the room for them (with our help).
When we were 'seated" we sat next to a family of three who then promptly left, and we asked if we could move all the way to the end. The young man was very happy, because now he had six seats side by side, rather three on one side and three on the other of the two of us.

The concessions at Yellowstone are run by Xanterra, and I'm telling you, those kids hustle. They are happy, smiling, and never slow down. Plus, Xanterra has their stuff together by putting a LOT of staff in a small concession. So you don't wait long.
Our 'server'...she was behind the counter we were sitting at, was a Slovakian girl who's name I cannot remember. She was happy, cheerful, and recommended the black bean burger to me, who tries to not eat a lot of beef/meat whilst traveling.
I am glad I listened, because the black bean burger was TERRIFIC. That's another thing about Xanterra-the food is good, no matter if it's out of frozen box. The fries, while industrially produced, were hot, crispy and greaseless. My husband had the bison burger and said it was great.

It was the only concession in Yellowstone that offered the black bean burger, and I liked it so much that I found a recipe online for it and had it for dinner tonight, in my own kitchen.

While I don't much care for the lunch counter/stool motif, I'd eat there again.

• Visited June 2014
Texas
“just ok”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 3, 2014

We stopped and had the soup and salad bar. The soups looked like they might have been good at 11:00 - but it was 1:00 and they were cooked down to mush. The salad bar needed to be replenished - we only got iceberg but there were signs for other greens. We ate a lot of crackers.

Salt Lake City
“no the best”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 2, 2014

our food was cold ,no to much to many choice really our experience in Yellowstone was no the best the part is beautiful, is terrible that the accommodation was no to the stand of the park

Streamwood, Illinois
“Good food,good price”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 26, 2014

You can't go wrong whether on a budget or not. Good food selections, spacious cafeteria and the view is also great.