“Save your money and just peek in”

Old Faithful Inn Dining Room
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Buffet, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Buffet, Reservations
Reviewed August 13, 2014

Skip dinner and just have breakfast here. That way you'll experience all the pros and none of the cons, which were numerous. For the price the food is not even mediocre. The green veggies were so tough, I felt like a cow chewing cud -- 1, 2, 3!! Ahh, now it's swallowable. The salmon was miniscule, dry and tasteless. The quail was also so tough that it was no fun to eat. Salads were okay because they are hard to ruin. Pricey for the size, though. The wine was fine.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,107)

Reviewed August 12, 2014

A bit of a difficult one really. If you are staying at the Inn then you have little choice other than to choose this place. If you are lucky then you might get to eat before 10pm. It's always packed. The snow lodge over the road requires no booking but you have to be lucky to get a table. the first time we tried we were shown to a table straight away, the second time we had a half hour wait.
So what's the food like? Well, it's ok. My rule of thumb when I go out to a restaurant is 'could I cook the food better?' and I have to say that with every meal I had here the answer was yes. I'm not a chef.
However, the bison burger was nice in a guilty pleasure kind of way. The New York steak was over priced but tasty. The bison bolognese was one of the only meals I have ever left half eaten in my life!

1  Thank mike c
Reviewed August 11, 2014

We had the dinner buffet which had prime rib as the main dish.
Dinner was delicious. Very reasonable price and worth it.
We had the breakfast buffet the next day, and that was very mediocre. If you want better food for breakfast, you will have to order a la carte. The breakfast buffet was definitely not worth it.

Reviewed August 10, 2014

If you're staying at Old Faithful Inn chances are you'll be eating dinner at the Obsidian Room. Our family did this for three consecutive nights. We give it a thumbs up and not just because the park service has you captive. Overall, the food is good but not great. The service is attentive and down-to-earth.

We sampled three different bison entrees - pot roast, smoked bison sausage and the bolognese. The best by far is the pot roast. A generous portion. Tender and juicy meat served over creamy mashed potatoes. Tasty enough to please our 12-year-daugther. The runner up is the bolognese followed by the sausage.

We recommend the spinach salad with dried cranberries, candied walnuts and poppy seed dressing. And of course, the fresh warm bread which triggered a fight among the kids for the last one. Enough said.

Reviewed August 9, 2014

Earlier in the day we made the mistake of eating at Yellowstone cafeteria further north. So when we came in for dinner we were skeptical. We were pleasantly surprised I had the steak special and everything about it was delicious. My husband had the grilled fish and it also was delicious. My mom said the Bison Roast was tough (just fyi). But everything else was delicious and we so enjoyed the breakfast the next morning. I found the prices to be rather conservative considering the portions that were given. Very pleased!

1  Thank Tammy B