“Good Experience all the way around!”

Roosevelt Lodge Dining Room
Cuisines: American
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner
Reviewed July 7, 2009

Our family stopped in for dinner at the Roosevelt Lodge on June 29th. After a short wait sitting on the porch looking at the mountains we were seated in the dining room. We were very happy with all aspects of the dinner except for the prices which like everything in Yellowstone is more expensive than you would ever pay at home. Our waiter was very attentive and personal making sure we always had everything we needed and also offered up tips on the best place to see animals. My wife, teen son and daughter had the pound of ribs that they loved and talked about the rest of our trip! The ribs were very meaty and so tender many of the ribs had to be eaten with a fork because the meat fell off the bone when they tried to pick them up. I had the baked chicken that was very good and the Roosevelt Beans that were incredible. Overhearing others it sounded like everyone was happy with their meals at the Roosevelt Lodge when we were there. I would recommend arriving a little early (by 6:00) because the dining room is not huge and when we stopped by later in the week at 7:30 the wait looked to be quite long as it was when we left after our meal..

4  Thank reikswons

Reviewed August 19, 2008

I think this restaurant gave the worst service I ever had in my life. think everyone there are stupid. If you have a party of 5, be prepare to wait for hours for the one and only table for 5 in that restaurant. The restaurant is fill with table sitting for 4 and only one available to sit for 5. The waitress promise us for 30 minutes wait, she let 10 parties behind to sit first before we get a table that only sit 4 after several complaints. Peple in that restaurant are racist. I will never return to that restaurant, the food quality does not matter as long as the services is bad. Bad service ruin all appetites

Reviewed August 11, 2008

We had lunch here while touring Yellowstone. It is a small restaurant so we had a wait (about 10-15 minutes) even though we were having a late lunch (about 1:30-2PM). However, it was well worth the wait!

Service was very good, all three of us liked our meals. I had a buffalo burger, my husband had the bbq and my daughter had a cheese burger.

The restaurant is in the old lodge with the logs all around-we loved the atmosphere. There was a nice breeze blowing in the windows. This is a great place to stop for a meal!

2  Thank Dragon28
Reviewed July 27, 2008

We stopped here for lunch after spending the morning in the LaMar Valley. This is a really cute lodge and the food was good. We also had great service. We liked sitting on the rockers on the front porch and just chilling a bit. Definitely worth a stop.

2  Thank Altheajane
Reviewed July 22, 2008

Knowing that the cabin was going to be rustic, I was pleasantly surprised at how nice the atmosphere was and how well equipped: alarm clock, desk and phone, toiletries, and wooden stove with logs provided. However, the bed was only a double bed which nowadays is much too small for 2 people: luckily I am a single person used to sleeping in a double bed. The cabin was clean and free of bugs. I thought it was cute and quaint and very small. (See photos)

I was also lucky to be located not far from the the women's bathroom which was a little better than it could have been but still inherently wet and unpleasant: who wants to lower one's slacks onto a wet floor in order to use the toilet? (wet people from the showers bringing wet onto the floors of the toilet) There were only two sinks, and 3-4 showers, but I think there were actually several women's bathrooms so don't know how many cabins were actually using this one (there was never any waiting for any of the facilities). Although the area was lit at night, I'd still recommend packing a flashlight, just in case.

You can park right outside your cabin. The lodge itself is just the lobby, bar, tiny gift shop area, and dining room and was Theodore Roosevelt's favorite hunting lodge, I believe the story is. It's located right at the entrance to Lamar Valley which is one of the two best areas to view animals ("America's Serengeti"), and therefore very conveniently located for early morning excursions out to see the animals at sunrise. If you continue along that same road through Lamar Valley, as I did, you exit the park through the NE entrance and can continue on to tiny Cooke City for breakfast (very frontier western town meets touristy town).

After breakfast, I was going to spend a couple hours taking the Beartooth Scenic Byway (per Charles Kuralt: "the most spectacular drive in America"), returning early afternoon to spend the rest of the time in Yellowstone Park. Instead, with all the stops to photograph the gorgeous wildflowers everywhere (this was July 13, 2008), rest stops, and the outstanding scenery itself, I spent the ENTIRE DAY doing this ride, but didn't regret a moment of it......even if it did "cost" me one of my two days in the park! It also brought me back through the Lamar Valley at dinner time, the other prime time for viewing animals so I was lucky there as well. see my photos of this day at webshots.com under member name Tekirisma, and search for my albums.

I arrived at Roosevelt Lodge my first night, 10 min. after dinner service ended, and after some discussion, they did offer to make me up a sandwich after I explained I'd been driving all day to get there.

3  Thank tekirisma