“Mixed Feelings”

Roosevelt Lodge Dining Room
Cuisines: American
Good for: Families with children, Scenic view, Kids, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Chicago, Illinois
“Mixed Feelings”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 10, 2014

We waited an hour to get a table. When we sat down and started ordering the ribs we were then told they were out of them. We drove all the way from Canyon Village to eat there, waited all that time, and then they were out of the one thing we (and everyone else) came for. The waitress should have let us know before we started ordering, and better yet before we sat down. We were starving by the time we sat down after 7:30 with the 3 kids and when we were told the news were were a little disappointed. Our waitress looked at us dumb-founded, so we asked if there was anything else to be aware of that they were out of and she said no, which we said was great. We said we needed a few minutes since we had to re-review the menu. The guy who filled our waters said they often run out of different items. Instead of our waitress coming back she sent her manager to take our order. Seriously if she thought we were giving her a hard time, which we really weren't, she can't handle too much. Our new server did a great job helping us find something else of interest, and offered dessert complimentary as well. Having a customer leave with a good feeling is key, and the manager was great getting the dinner turned around. The food was pretty good - I had the Cheesesteak Sandwich which was good. My husband had the bison bratwurst, which was kind of like bangers and mash. Food was at least unique in comparison to other areas of the park.

Visited August 2014
1 Thank travelgames

• Chinese (Traditional) first
maple grove, mn
“Lunch, with a side of history”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2014

While in Yellowstone (July 2014) we stopped here for lunch. We were seated right away and waited on right away. Our server was very good and very helpful-I actually filled out a comment card on her at the Lodge. My son had a burger, which he inhaled and pronounced delicious. My husband had the buffalo chili nachos, which was so generous that he couldn't finish it. I had a sweet potato with steamed broccoli and feta cheese. I can't recommend it and I also made suggestions to them on how to "fix" it-like losing the feta and using something less tangy and rubbery. I also had a cup of black bean soup. I LOVE black bean soup and this was the best I'd ever eaten-and I've eaten a lot of black bean soup !! I hinted at wanting the recipe and our server checked back with the kitchen but the recipe was for a vat of the stuff. I still hold out hope that someone will send me a pared down recipe. How I wish I'd ordered a bowl instead of a cup and not ordered the sweet potato at all. The rest of the menu looked wonderful and my husband suggested we come stay at the lodge and eat through the rest of the menu !! I agree !

• Visited July 2014
2 Thank kristine j
Long Beach, California
“great location”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2014

we got a room with a bath, made a reservation 1 year in advance, clean and comfy beds, food was good for dinner and breakfast, nice helpful front desk

Visited July 2014
1 Thank BuenoOrNot
Glendale, Arizona
“Food good; service could be better”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 3, 2014

Spent the day traveling around the park. Stopped in here for lunch. The dining room is part of the lobby, so we could see when tables were open, but the hostess was very slow in seating the parties that were waiting. Our server seemed less than enthusiastic to be there. Food overall was good-usual lunch fare. Unfortunately, not a memorable experience

Visited July 2014
Bellingham, Washington
“Great room, good food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2014

Admirably, every one of Yellowstone's Lodges has it's own unique character--at the Roosevelt, it's all about rustic, western log cabin charm. We stayed nearby and not at the cabins so am unable to comment on that experience, but we very much enjoyed a meal at the restaurant whose menu very well captured the overall feel of this section of the Park. Ribs, fried chicken, bison burgers, bison tamales--lots of western man-food, well-prepared and from scratch as best I could tell, and I'm pretty good at these things.

We especially loved the Wyoming cheese steak sandwich--a marble rye bun filled with thinly sliced beef, onions and peppers, all cooked together on a flat-top grill--hot and well-seasoned. With them, fries of the best kind: fresh cut and crisp, not from frozen. The dining room was full so we took our lunches to go but didn't go any further than the restaurant's wide porch which is lined with rockers--a popular place to spend part of an afternoon. Too, you can even take a beer out here, so why not enjoy the view? If you're lucky, as we were, a few mule deer might even walk by.

And make you glad you didn't order venison :)

• Visited July 2014