“First time, saw wolves”

3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“First time, saw wolves”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 18, 2013

We got up before dawn one morning and took a ride into Lamar Valley. It was a bit nerve-wracking beating the sun after hearing people say not to drive in the dark in the park. We did have to stop suddenly for a deer at one point. Saw plenty of buffalo and elk. Found a group of people with expensive cameras at one of the main pullouts. We stopped and found they were watching two wolves up on a ridge. You could just barely see their ears but once in awhile they'd sit up or walk around. At one point, they both howled for a bit. On the way out, we spotted some bald eagles and an osprey nest with three babies in it. Definitely a highlight of our trip.

We had some binoculars from home, but also rented a scope with tripod for $20/day at a store in Gardiner. We were glad we did for the stability and clarity.

Visited August 2013

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
San Francisco, California
111 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 138 helpful votes
“Scenic, Mystic and Full of Wildlife.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 16, 2013

Drive through the valley during sun down and you will see lush green meadows with teeming wildlife. Camp in Pebble Creek campground if you want to encounter some night time sightings. Pebble Creek is also fun if you love waddling in the water.

Visited September 2013
Hagerman, Idaho
45 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 102 helpful votes
“Really is the Serengeti of North America”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 15, 2013

I was skeptical. I have lived and worked in the bush in Tanzania and while I always preferred Ngorongoro I still found it hard to believe that there was a place here in the USA that was comparable. I spent a week in YNP, camped the first 4 nights at Fox Creek outside of the park on the NE side-GREAT camp site it Pebble/Slough are filled ( a drive, but one where I got to see a gray fox and spend an hour watching a cinnamon bear tear into a giant log for grubs), and the other 3 at Pebble Creek (worth the wait-I got there at 5am and was second in line!). I spent most of my time in the Lamar valley watching wolves and bears. I found Hayden to be less impressive, but maybe I was biased staying in Lamar. The Wolf Project guys were focused here so it was very easy to look for them to know where the wolves were. Really, just look for scopes. People are really nice too and will let you look through theirs if all you have are bins (useless to see wolves). I saw 8 black bears in the first 24 hours. Started to panic because I kept hearing grizzly stories and had not seen one. Then I did, and another, and another, and.....The sheer number of bears was amazing. I saw a bear on almost every hike (which meant there were at least 2 on every hike). And then I saw wolves-you MUST wake early-they are out between 430 and 630am and at dusk. Watched an antelope chase a coyote across the street, watched bears and wolves feed on a carcass, watched wolves play and got to hear them howl. Note: I WAS SADDENED BY THE NUMBER OF PEOPLE WHO IGNORED THE RULES, GOT TOO CLOSE TO BEARS, GOT TOO CLOSE TO KILLS. These are wild animals. I stood there on the road and watched no less that 30 people surround, yes, SURROUND some poor bear who was minding his own in the woods. I was secretly hoping the bear ate one of the small children who were harassing him and was happy to see the ranger show up and hand out at least one ticket. BE CONSIDERATE. Not only are you annoying the animals you are endangering yourself. Get a clue or stick to the zoo. Rant over. This place is magic. GO

Visited July 2013
7 Thank serval_girl
Bellevue, Washington
35 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“Excellent for wildlife viewing”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 15, 2013

This is an incredible place to watch for wildlife. The trick, of course is to have patience... pick a spot and stick with it and you will not be disappointed. May be tough for people traveling with small children or impatient spouses.

Visited June 2013
Okoboji, Iowa
99 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 161 helpful votes
“A beautiful drive through the less crowded area of Yellowstone”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 15, 2013

The road through the northeast part of the park ending in Cooke City and the Beartooth highway is very beautiful. The wide open valleys offer great wildlife viewing and plenty of hiking possibilities.
There were also many fly fisherman testing the waters of the Lamar river. We took a bunch of photos but unfortunately no up-close wildlife on our drive.

Visited September 2013