“You can't go to Yellowstone without staying at Old Faithful Inn”
Review of Old Faithful Inn

Old Faithful Inn
GreenLeadersSilver level
central PA
“You can't go to Yellowstone without staying at Old Faithful Inn”
Reviewed January 24, 2009

We stayed at the Yellowstone Lodge in West Yellowstone in 2005 (couldn't go back that far when choosing the year) for the majority of our stay, but we had to stay one night at Old Faithful Inn - for the experience. And what an experience it was!

We stayed in the old wing in a cheap room and it was fine for our purposes. We ate in the dining room and it was very good, although pricey. My chicken meal was tiny - more like a peep meal - luckily my dad's steak was huge & he shared! Very cool to hear what countries the waiters and waitress are from - very varied!

We intended to turn in early since we had to get up early the next day to head for Billings. We knew we were staying the last night the Inn was open for the season, but we didn't know about the get together that is held every year. I think it was called the Bear Pit Party. Employees and former employees gather for one last party. Since the walls are thin, we had a difficult time getting to sleep, but weren't too upset about it. Figured they deserve to celebrate before heading home for the winter.

However... in the middle of the night we were wakened by alarms telling us to evacuate immediately. As we were disoriented, we ran out of the room in pjs at 5am. We had to stand outside in a light snow while the staff tried to figure out if there really was a fire or if a drunk pulled a fire alarm. They finally let us wait in a sitting area of the new wing while the guests peacefully slept the night away... until we were ordered outside... only to be told 5 minutes later that we could go back to the sitting area! We had no access to restrooms for what felt like an eternity - was actually 2 hours! Never did hear what the fuss was about.

Overall it gave us an interesting story to tell and all turned out well. We were just so thankful that everything we left in the room didn't go up in flames! Funny what's important to people. I grabbed my camera, my 10 year old grabbed her stuffed animals, my mom grabbed her purse, and my dad took his wallet...

So be prepared for anything when you stay at the Old Faithful Inn.

• Liked — the history and the architecture
  • Disliked — waiting for 2 hours to see if the hotel was burning down!
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled with family
2 Thank Karenas65

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (773)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed December 27, 2008

We booked late and consider ourselves fortunate to have gotten anything in the Inn--in this case the cheapest of the rooms with private bath, located far down some less than attractive corridors. But no matter--we were happy to be there, surrounded by such powerful forces of nature. The room was small and basic, with a hard bed and formed plastic shower. We didn't use the car an entire day as we explored on foot the extensive Old Faithful Basin area. We saw all but one of the predicted eruptions (missed due to dinner reservation) and enjoyed the bison that roam the area. The guided tour of the Inn is well worth it.

Dinner in the Inn's dining room was excellent and we also had a fine breakfast buffet there. I found the cafeteria food salty.

• Liked — Location and ambiance
  • Disliked — The hard beds
5 Thank calligcat
London
Reviewed December 13, 2008

Admittedly booked late and given last room in hotel but it was so jaded (furniture and decor). Corridors also look shabby. There's a real sense of history and the opportunity to see the Old Faithful geyser is brilliant. Restaurant was poor and expensive, but queues every night leading to mass catering feel. However, we spoke to several people who would have sacrificed quality for their accommodation outside the Park (30 mile drive). Good to stay close to Old Faithful geyser but not good to stay for more than a couple of days. Perhaps it would be good to check room standards.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Jaded shabbiness
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank NewtonLondon
dallas
Reviewed November 13, 2008

We stayed in their high range room for one night at the end of August. We were quite pleased with the room which greatly exceeded our expectation. Originally I wanted to book a room at old faithful snow lodge based on the reviews but was not successful since I made a late reservation (1 ½ months before arrival). There was only high range room at Old Faithful Inn available at the time I called. The room rate was $242 per night. I had to go with it since I didn’t have other choice. Because of those mixed reviews (most of them were kind of negative about this place), I was quite concerned before we got there. However, our room was very spacious, clean and simple. From our window, we could see the old faithful geyser, what a view! We enjoyed our diner at the dining room. Also had wonderful time relaxing and having some drinks in the outdoor patio and lobby. We were very impressed by the architecture of this place, it is one of a kind!
I gave it 9 out of 10 score.

• Liked — location, architure
  • Disliked — none
4 Thank tiger62z
Dublin, Ohio
Reviewed October 26, 2008

I'll start by saying that the Old Faithful Inn is a structure beyond the imagination. Walking into the lobby for the first time was similar to entering into a cathedral only instead of worshiping a higher power it worships the nature that surrounds. The fact that 90 men and an architect in the early twentieth century managed to construct this 'carnival-esc' building in a single winter, simply blows my mind. Funky little details are everywhere and I'm sure I could have spent days exploring every inch of this giant wooded castle. That said...you really do pay for the location not for a resort experience.

I suppose my time at the Inn was slightly dampened by the fact that the it's been going through a massive rehabilitation over the last few years. Construction had ceased by the time I arrived in the early evening but began the next morning a little earlier then I would have preferred it to. Since a year has passed since my visit I can't say what's still being worked on but I'd check as living in a construction zone isn't fun. Besides that the 'Old House' was pleasant at night if a little dark and I managed to strike up a conversation with a couple from Kansas. I strongly suggest that you take the historical tour if you are planing on spending more than one night there.

The service was what I expected it to be in a National Park, neither extraordinary or abysmal. This isn't a privately owned institution and Tax dollars don't make for a Hilton experience of luxury. There was a bit of a disconnect with some of the employees who weren't well versed in english, but besides one individual I came across, they were all at least courteous if not friendly.

I found the dinning room to be a nice experience save the cost of the food and crowded atmosphere. The meal was not something I'd write home about but it was about as good a meal as I had in the park. The weight staff was trying there hearts out to serve the massive throng of guests at each sitting...but my steak did take some time in arriving.

My room seemed a little worse for wear but nothing too terribly out of order. I had my own little bathroom with shower and toilet. My king bed was a little hard as where the pillows. Linens seemed clean as did the rest of the room. The carpet was a little ratty but again nothing to really get worked up over. In the end I'd say the room was similar to something you'd find in a nice Motel 8, sans television and internet access.

As far as suggesting the Inn to fellow travelers, I'll break it down into two categories...

Spend a night at the Old Faithful Inn if you:

-Want to stay in the heart of the Park and get a head start on the traffic
-Wish to see Old Faithful by morning or dusk
-Are captivated by grand architecture
-Can manage to remain mentally sound with out constant electronic interaction
-Like talking to people
-Can live with minor inconveniences for the sake of being in wonderland
-Can while away the late night with a book or board game
-Enjoy geysers

Don't Spend a night at the Old Faithful Inn (or the Park for that matter) if you:

-Cannot stand the idea of nature entering into you're room (mice, bugs, etc. I didn't have a problem with this but I'm sure it's possible.)
-Tend to loose your cool around large groups of people
-Expect to be waited on hand and foot
-Find rustic log and shingle walls frightening and infuriating
-Enter into a state of hysteria or catatonic shock if you can't check your e-mail constantly
-Hate bison
-Expect world class cuisine
-Must be entertained every moment of you waking life
-Just want to see Yellowstone...not explore it

In the end I'm in the first category and enjoyed my stay at this historic place. If you fall more into the second category (not a bad thing, most people do) I'd suggest finding a room at a Days Inn or Best Western in one of the gateway towns surrounding the park.

The Inn is not a bad hotel, it simply exists in a place that is wild and rustic in nature and forgoes the very resent luxuries of entertainment and convenience. So if you are going to Yellowstone to experience nature instead of just look at it...the Inn might be the right place for you.

• Liked — the history and access to natural wonders
  • Disliked — Nothing much. Could have used more light in the hallways of the original structure
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled solo
18 Thank Tatric
Huntsville, Alabama
Reviewed October 20, 2008

I spent two nights at Old Faithful Inn (OFI) and one at Old Faithful Snowlodge (OFSL). We had two rooms (adults/kids) in each. The "newer" rooms in OFI were basic, average sized with bath. The older rooms are smaller, no bath but original to the inn and more interesting. The lobby of OFI is the best part of the place and is very original and a great place to chill out with a beverage and take in the atmosphere. Food at the restaurants was mediocre and expensive. Reservations required at the OFI. No reservations accepted at OFSL = 90 min. wait at the OFSL our first night. No TV/Radio/ Newspapers. Terrible lighting throughout due to low power CFLs. I loved the location and history of the OFI, but everything else could stand some improvement. If you think of the lodging as a interesting historical place to crash after a long day of sightseeing you will not be disappointed. Three nights is plenty.

• Liked — Proximity to Yellowstone
  • Disliked — Average rooms and poor food
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4 Thank godawgsfah
North Jersey, NJ
Reviewed October 19, 2008

We decided to spend 1 night in each area instead of doing a lot of driving and it worked out well so we came in the western entrance and started here. I reserved a room and requested a bathroom. I was given a mid range room. I did not realize that there was no shower. The bathroom (which I think was bigger and brighter than the bedroom) had a clawfoot tub for just baths or you could use it to shower your self but will get water all over the room. Maybe that is why the bathroom is so big. Otherwise, there are showers in the hallway bathroom. The light in the tiny bedroom is a joke. You cannot read anything in the bedroom because the light is just not bright enough. If you plan to read yourself to sleep, you need to bring a flashlight on vacation or plan to sleep in the bathroom. Otherwise, the Inn atmosphere is very nice. Food was good but expensive. This is the case
throughout Yellowstone. All of the wait staff are part of an international exchange program so they practice their english. This is the case throughout the Yellowstone restaurants. The geysers erupts every 90 min.

• Liked — big bathroom
  • Disliked — no shower and dark room
2 Thank labern116
Also consider these accommodations in or near Yellowstone National Park
Lake Yellowstone Hotel and Cabins
Lake Yellowstone Hotel and Cabin...
#2 of 6 in Yellowstone National Park
Mammoth Hot Springs Hotel & Cabins
Mammoth Hot Springs Hotel & Cabi...
#1 of 6 in Yellowstone National Park
#4 of 39 in West Yellowstone
Yellowstone Park Hotel
Yellowstone Park Hotel
#5 of 39 in West Yellowstone

Been to Old Faithful Inn? Share your experiences!