3,033 results
All reviews old house west wing old faithful dining room in advance geyser view second floor wings snow lodge new wing free tour shared bath bear pit historic place one of a kind log cabin bucket list
Selected filters
Reviewed June 7, 2008

I stayed at three locations w/in Yellowstone and OFI was by far my favorite. Not only do you have the history associated w/ this great hotel, but you also have a prime location for all the geiser activity. Walked out from my room to watch the sunrise and Old Faithful go off at 6:45 a.m.

I stayed in one of the newer rooms in the west wing. No view but a very comfortable stay. Recognize that none of the hotels in Yellowstone are 5-star resorts...but this is as close as you come w/in the park IMHO.

For others going to Yellowstone, I would highly recommend staying here. Also, be sure to check out the hotel tours b/c I learned a lot of valuable and interesting information about the history of the hotel (as well as the history of Yellowstone) by taking one of the free, 45-minute tours offered at the hotel daily.

5  Thank Second_City_Traveler
Reviewed May 31, 2008

The Old Faithful Inn may not be a deluxe hotel but its stunning architecture, history, and location, all combine to make a stay at this hotel a memorable and fun moment in your life. It is hard not to be impressed with the magnificent lobby, and you will not be able to leave without having at least one meal in the unique but dark main dining room.

Our room was pretty small and very basic with too much old furniture. The sink for the bathroom was in the room but that was perfectly fine - and a hairdryer is mounted near it. The bathroom was very small but clean and nice. As others have mentioned, the window in our room only opened about a quarter of the way. This worked out fine for us, with warm days in the low 70s. There is a table fan provided and I am sure it will come in handy on hot summer days – but there is no air conditioning. There is also no iron/ironing board in the room if that is important to you. Our only complaint with the bedroom was that the bed pillows were very firm - to the point of us almost not using them.

We saw all the “villages” in the park and felt we made the right choice staying in this area and not just because “Old Faithful” is at this location. We liked the area because the Snow Lodge is also here with more restaurant choices and the Old Faithful Lodge has a very attractive cafeteria just a short walk from the hotel. Also at the end of the day if you have any energy left, a walk around the geysers at sunset is a great way to end the day. The other “villages”, although nice, seemed to have fewer options for food and shopping.

If you are not in the right frame of mind to embrace the experience of staying at one of the great National Park lodges, I am sure there are things to pick on about staying at this hotel. But the Old Faithful Inn is really a rare opportunity to step back in time and enjoy a piece of our nation’s past.

5  Thank J_and_A_1
Reviewed May 25, 2008

We didn't know that the hotel was undergoing renovations so we had to keep going through a wooden corridor to our rooms. The room was cramped, but it had a private bath, which we wanted. The sink was not in the bathroom, which was unusual, but we could see that they were trying to maximize the use of the space.

I don't see how anyone could stay here during the summer without air-conditioning. The windows don't open fully so they don't let in much air. Still, the location can't be beat, and the lobby is amazing. Since there is no tv or internet in the rooms, we spent the evenings having drinks in the lobby and people-watching.

The staff at the front desk are very friendly and helpful. The breakfast buffet at the Old Faithful Dining Room was sparse and they charged extra for toast.

1  Thank tyropower
Reviewed May 25, 2008

Booked in February over the contractor's internet for a mid- week pre- Memorial Day stay. First trip to Yellowstone so wanted to do the real- experience. Few rooms left, but got a "high range" room (two beds and an in- room bath). Hotel has many rooms that require sharing a bath... not for me at $180 a night rates!
Sort of worried the hotel may be overblown and touristy and was paying for the exclusiveness of being in the park and next to the famous geysers, but it was a vacation so what the hey.
The good: it is a facinating structure, all wood from local forests, nostalgic, worth a visit just to see the thing itself. Rooms are vintage- steam heat, no air condition, wood floors, drafty windows. Clean though. Beds were comfortable. Had a table fan in the closet which we used to circulate some air as the room was stuffy, even though it was 30 degrees outside. (Note- be prepared for big swings in the weather. Even though late May, mid- 60 dergree day the first day was replaced by temps in the 20's at night and it snowed 3 inches at the hotel for the next 2 days. Much of the park still had alot of snow and back country trails and roads were closed. Still, heat from the "volcano" that the park is located on kept main road and sidewalks in good shape). Staff was mostly friendly, especially in the restaurant. Can NOT beat the location- next to huge geysers besides the Old Faithful, and great base to explore the park. ( Another note- we used the car to get around this HUGE park which was very efficient, and by coming before Memorial Day, no crowds!). Plenty of animals to see ( Bison even in the parking lot!, and elk mainly on the forest roads. Saw bear tracks but no grizzly)
The not so good- room had coffee maker but no coffee, bedside light had no lightbulbs ( previous guests took the "green" flourescent bulbs?). Yeah, small gripe, but again this is $180 a night, and with no TV, need the light to read. Told front desk and they quickly handled. Had to go outside and walk around to the rear of our wing to enter/ exit due to renovations blocking interior routes. Still not peak season so was able to get into the Inn's restaurant for dinner. Pricy, entrees from $20 to $30 bucks. Tried the "buffet" at nearly $30. Not worth it . Few and limited choice's, and very cafeteria like in quality- not bad, just not special.
Overall- the Inn itself is neat, clean and historic. The staff is friendly, but seemed generic and not connected with the place. Wasn't looking for theme park theatrics, but would have liked to have seen some "passion" for the place from the staff. The park itself is a marvel, however, and is the real reason to come. I probably wouldn't stay at the Inn a second time, but glad I did for a first time visit so I could say I did.... and did I mention the location...?

2  Thank JoeGa
Reviewed May 23, 2008

We too had booked a room in February. I didn't realize that you could start booking rooms a year in advance, so I'm pleased that we got the room. I received 3 e-mails before leaving, each quoting different prices for the "high-range" room with two double beds. When we got there, we were actually given a fourth rate, which turned out to be the lowest of the bunch ($158). We stayed 3 nights, May 18-20. We were in the West wing, facing the geyser field (great view) which you had to enter through a plywood above-ground tunnel because of the renovations going on. It was quite warm on Sunday afternoon, when we arrived, and the room was warm & stuffy. We thought it would cool off at night, but unfortunately the window only opens about 8 inches. It looks like all the windows on that side are the same - possibly earthquake damage?! There is a wooden block in them and upon examining the window frame, wondering why, you can see that the frame is quite crooked and I presume the windows could get stuck or fall out if you try to open them further. After spending a practically sleepless night because of the heat, we discovered that the radiator in the room was on full blast and too hot to touch. Supposedly the boiler had been turned off the previous day, but it sure didn't affect our room. The dial on it was obviously broken and we had to get them to fix it that day. The room cooled off by bedtime, so the 2nd night was much more enjoyable. We found the beds quite comfortable and had taken our own pillows, so didn't even try theirs. There was a hairdryer hanging in the clothes closet across from the bathroom. The third night was a different issue. The front desk does not take license plate numbers of cars when you check in. A car in the front parking lot had it's alarm going off periodically through the entire night. There was nothing that could be done about it because they don't know whose car is which. We could hear the people in the next room discussing it also. It's definitely an issue that needs to be addressed with alarms on so many cars nowadays. Now to the good stuff, the Old Faithful Inn is wonderfully located. You walk out the front door of the Inn to a huge geyser field. We had no idea that it existed. I only thought there was Old Faithful. I think we saw Old Faithful go off about 10 times and we walked the several miles long boardwalk and observed about 4 or 5 others going off. It's fascinating and certainly educational. We drove the lower loop of the park one evening and saw a wolf walking down the road - apparently very unusual because they seldom use the roads (but we have a picture to prove it!). The upper loop wasn't completely open, so we drove up to Mammoth Hot Springs and back. I've never seen so many bison and elk in my life. Of course, the only bear we saw was on one of the narrowest stretches of road (near Grizzly Lake). I can't imagine how horrible the traffic must be in the summertime when a bear is spotted. There were probably 30 cars stopped in the middle of the road - it was like a demolition derby in the making! The morning we left we encountered three bison herds meandering across the road. They're in no hurry and you realize quickly that they have the right-of-way. We never had the opportunity to eat in the dining room - hadn't made an advance reservation. We ate dinner two nights at the Snow Lodge - walked right in, great prime rib, attentive service, and cooler in temperature than Old Faithful Inn. We also got food from the cafeteria in the Old Faithful Lodge. It's probably the best place to go with kids as there are more kid-friendly foods there and it's much faster service. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the hotel. It was great being away from the pressures of every day life - no tv, radio, newspapers, internet (unfortunately there were a lot of people on cellphones - obviously can't relax!). It may be a once-in-a-lifetime experience everyone should avail themselves of if they can afford it. Realize that you're staying in an historic inn and appreciate it for what it is. If you want 21st century amenities, stay outside the park somewhere.

3  Thank AuntyMo