“Nice but busy.”

Old Faithful Inn
GreenLeadersSilver level
“Nice but busy.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 11, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here 2 nights in room 147 in the old part of lodge facing the front geyser trail (2nd floor). Room met our needs and was close to large porch for watching Old Faithful, breezeway to new section (also w/ view of OF) and espresso stand. We used the shared bath which wasn't an issue (except when you need the bathroom in the middle of the night and had to walk down the hall). The shower stalls were pretty small. The only downside would be the curtains are thin so the room was bright very early. Also, the tour buses parked right outside our room. One spent several minutes backing up, pulling forward & backing up again - which made that beeping noise with each reverse. My husband snores so I travel with ear plugs & was glad I had them.

• Stayed July 2013
4 Thank Jsskstone

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (743)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Racine, Wisconsin
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 11, 2013

My wife, two daughters, and I spent our first of three nights at the Old Faithful Inn. I paid extra for a geyser-view room as a surprise for my daughters. You are paying for location, no doubt. Although the view was partially obstructed by a pine tree, we could still watch Old Faithful from our window. The girls really enjoyed that experience. And, it was a quick 30-second walk outside to Old Faithful!
The room was small by modern standards, but nice - comfortable bed, and the bathroom was updated with period-appropriate style. Beds were comfortable queens. You might miss modern conveniences such as a fridge or microwave, but we got by using ice for our cooler. There is also no air conditioning, but it's cool enough at night so that was not an issue, either.
The rest of the historic inn is absolutely beautiful, of course, and we enjoyed a great first night in Yellowstone!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Jeff G
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2013

We really enjoyed our 2 nights at the lodge. We had managed to get the last available room for each night which meant we had to change rooms but we just left our luggage in the room and went out for the day and when we returned it had been moved to the new room. Both rooms were good and we didn't experience any problems. The room was clean and we slept well. We ate in the dining room and this was also good. Staff were friendly. We enjoyed the free tour of the building. The shared ladies bathrooms were clean although apparently the mens was not as pleasant.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Lynn J
Turnhout
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2013

Bookling a hotel in Yellowstone NP is like a lottery,trying to book a room 10-12 months before travelling,you never get a room except the lower price rooms and those are not really comfortable.They are really outdated for the prices Xanterra is asking for.
I have this experience now already for the sixth time
The impression exist that the single traveler must deal with the remainder,after allocated the best rooms to large travel organizations
Dining reservations is the same as they give you upon the reservation request first and second option dining time,sometimes very early and inpropiated.
The hotel style and location is obviously outstanding and attract certainly many visitors,but as said rooms are below qualified standards

Room Tip: This standard question cannot be answered,as you have to take what they are offering you.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Monterey, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2013

You are definitely paying for the prime location here. The lodge is beautiful and makes you feel nostalgic the first time you visit. Staying there was sort of a once in a lifetime deal for me because of the price and I don't live that far away that I need to stay in the park. The room was not as rustic as I expected and the bathroom was very modern. We had plenty of hot water and the bear-shaped soap is really cute. Our room was not loud. We were on the third floor and had a decent view of the back of the property. It was very clean and check-in and out were fast despite the long lines.
My biggest issue was the radiator in the room was broken. In the "off" position it still spewed out hot air and it was late June and very warm outside. Maintenance came quickly to look at it while we were at dinner but I returned to a fan propped up in an open window and took that as a sign they couldn't do anything. In the night the radiator got very loud and would only stop making noise if I turned it up high, to release the pressure. So that made for a hot, loud night and a terrible sleep. I was also traveling with a toddler so the very hot radiator in the room was a constant worry for me that she would touch it. I did not call the front desk in the night because of my sleeping child but did mention the problem again at check-out and was given an apology. I did ask to move rooms at check-in around 5pm and was told no because they were booked solid.
Others have mentioned the stuffed animal buffalo in the room on the bed. If you take it you are charged (around $18) and it goes to a charity. It is tough to keep a toddler's hands off it and I could only think of all the other children who had man-handled it then left it as we did. I hid it in the closet but with the norovirus outbreak at the time of our visit I was surprised this little fundraiser wasn't put on the back burner for a while.
There are a lot of complaints about the lighting on here. It was definitely dim but wasn't an issue for me in the room but the hallways were quite dark.
The restaurant was good but not great. The service was very good and the convenience of dining in the hotel was excellent. We made dinner reservations many months in advance, at least 6 months. The General Store next door is a hidden gem where you should go to buy your souvenirs and meals. The prices and selection are better than the Inn's gift shop and restaurant. You can also buy beer, wine, liquor, snacks, and ice cream over there.
I did not eat at the snack bar at the Inn.
We were in the park for 2 days and my toddler became extremely sick on the drive home on day 2 with a lot of vomiting. It could have been many things but we are pretty sure it was the norovirus so make sure everyone washes their hands, don't let little ones touch everything in the gift shops and put that darn buffalo up as soon as you check in!

Room Tip: Make dinner reservations as soon as you book your room. Shop (and eat) next door at the General Stor...
2 Thank Lori S
Orlando, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2013

We had an opportunity to say in room 8, a 2 bedroom suite with a private bath. It was noisy, a little chilly, and basically no amenities afforded those of us that live in the 21st century. Each room had a water heater that was noisy as well. I could not have had any more fun. The architecture was amazing. We didn't have much of a view, but that was OK. After a long day of hiking and a nice dinner in the dining room, we were able to spend some time together as a family. I would recommend this hotel to anyone looking for a rustic experience on their trip to Yellowstone.

Room Tip: Room 8-2 bedrooms, private bathroom.
2 Thank sje7268
Thief River Falls
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2013

Book early for a room with a bathroom in this historic landmark. I researched rooms 6 months prior to my family vacation in June and no room with a bathroom was available. I booked a queen bed with sink and was placed in a 1st floor room--avoid this & ask for a 2nd floor room. The bathrooms for these rooms, located down the hall, are also used by the gazillion or so tourists visiting this grand building each day. Although well maintained, these are not the bathrooms I would have preferred to freshen-up in after a long day of travel. Granted, overpriced for what you get, staying in this historic lodge is something you MUST do--book at least one year out for rooms with bathrooms. The small rooms are clean, the water hot and the ambiance incredible. My son and I liked putting the white robes on and then walking to the showers! This building is a national treasure & we were able to explore it in the evening, have a drink and people watch from the 2nd floor balcony. Our beds weren't the most comfortable but after hiking the geyser basins most of the afternoon, sleep was easy until awaken by coyotes calling! Remember, this building was built in 1904. Keep that in mind and and you will truly appreciated what this beautiful lodge has to offer. After all, this is Yellowstone, you are not suppose to be in the rooms!

Room Tip: Spend a touch more and get a room here with a bathroom. All rooms in the Park are expensive so splu...
2 Thank 2017bigshooter
Also consider these accommodations in or near Yellowstone National Park
Lake Yellowstone Hotel and Cabins
Lake Yellowstone Hotel and Cabin...
#2 of 6 in Yellowstone National Park
Mammoth Hot Springs Hotel & Cabins
Mammoth Hot Springs Hotel & Cabi...
#3 of 6 in Yellowstone National Park
#4 of 39 in West Yellowstone
Kelly Inn West Yellowstone
Kelly Inn West Yellowstone
#3 of 39 in West Yellowstone

Been to Old Faithful Inn? Share your experiences!