“Great Yellowstone Experience”
Review of Old Faithful Inn

Old Faithful Inn
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed May 18, 2013

The first thing you have to remember is that this hotel is very old and is in a national park. The staff is extremely friendly and helpful. The environment is excellent and the building is amazing.

They added something new this year - XM Radio music playing in the lobby area. This completely ruined the ambience of this historic place. There are no televisions or phones. There is no wifi. We don't need to have XM Radio. They need to stick with the live music on the second floor balcony.

The rooms are very well kept. Don't expect a quiet nights sleep as you can hear everyone around you. We brought a sound machine and it worked out great.

The dining room experience was at best average. They offer fairly unique choices of food and have a limited dinner buffet. I would call the food quality average. The prices are WAY too high for what you get ($30 for a the buffet). I think they would be better off making the menu a little more main stream (you don't have to offer bison and pheasant) such as burgers and steaks and bringing the prices down a bit. The dining staff was very friendly and did a great job.

Bottom line: Make sure you have appropriate expectations when going here. Again, you are in a National Park. You should come for the environment and not necessarily the amenities. Overall, the Old Faithful Inn does a good job with what they have to work with. Enjoy the surroundings (geysers, animals, trees, etc)...that's what this is all about.

Room Tip: If you can get a room away from the lobby, it will be quieter at night. Definitely stay away from t...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank bozpd146
Write a ReviewReviews (2,713)

Reviewed May 15, 2013

We stayed here for two nights and they were a nightmare. From the moment of check in where the check in lady was just blind and incompetent. Our rooms were messed up with our other travelling parties and we had to move rooms to one with a toilet! We then had dinner that evening and the young guy brought a $77 wine when we asked for a $27 bottle. Pity they opened it! Breakfast in the last day was a circus. After a disappointing buffet the first day when the food ran out we ordered from the menu. 35 Mounties later our omelettes came. I enjoyed the location but the manager needs to be replaced with someone who knows how to manage a hotel. And this was not the busy season yet! Rooms were adequate and basic and clean. The bath was a hoot and enjoyed by us. Would I return? Yes but I would know what to expect.

Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
6  Thank hercules77
Reviewed April 18, 2013

We booked a room in the old part of the hotel as part of our honeymoon. I was not looking forward to staying here at all as I was dreading the shared bathroom and had been put off by some of the reviews. However, it was the most pleasant surprise of our honeymoon. The room was very clean and much nicer than I had been expecting. I loved the wood panelling and the historical feel it had to it. The shared bathroom was also immaculate and not an issue at all. Yes, the room is a bit small, yes, the radiators make a loud clunking noise and yes, the walls are so thin, it really does fell like your neighbours are in the room with you but, for some reason, none of this mattered at all. It really is one of the most atmospheric places I have ever stayed and I feel privileged to have done so. I loved sitting in the atrium at night and watching the fire burn and I loved watching Old Faithful from the deck. Eating in the dining room was also a great experience.

I am so pleased we decided to stay here and it really was one of the highlights and biggest surprises of our honeymoon. I absolutely loved it and would stay here again in a flash.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
13  Thank LondonViaggiatore
Reviewed April 17, 2013

Regardless of what anyone says, this place is very much a part of the Yellowstone experience. While Yellowstone Park itself is breathtaking, this iconic man-made structure is also fascinating in itself. Be sure to request (if possible) a room in the main Inn as the newer wings are more modern and don't provide the same experience. The only disadvantage is that in the main Inn, we found that you can just about hear every conversation of your neighbors and almost feels like they're are in the same room. Nevertheless, being one of the few lodging facilities in the Park, if you can get a room here (which usually requires reserving well ahead of time, but be sure to call the reservation line to confirm availability), you really can't go wrong. And who knows...when you arrive you may even be lucky enough, as we were, to be greeted by old faithful erupting just as you drive up to the Inn.

Room Tip: Always call the reservation line (don't just go by online reservations) as sometimes rooms open...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
6  Thank FGLT48
Reviewed April 11, 2013

My husband and I have been to Yellowstone National Park twice. We stayed at Old Faithful Inn part of our first trip in June 2011 and another park location the second half of our trip. When we returned in June 2012 we chose to stay at the Inn for our entire trip and have planned to do the same in 2014. It is an old, rustic, historic place. If you like fancy, this is not the place to be but if you like history it's perfect for you. There are not any tv's and some rooms don't have telephones which was fine with us. We were fortunate to have stayed in one of the original rooms in the "old house" with a private bath our first time. It was quaint and cozy and had a claw-footed tub in the bathroom. It was small though and a bit cramped. All the rooms are set up a little differently and I would suggest staying in the Old House just once. In 2012 we stayed in one of the other wings, which was not as nostalgic as the old house rooms, but did have a private bath. It was also a corner room so had double the windows and even had a little table and two chairs so we could sit and have breakfast, etc. in the mornings. The windows also allowed a nice breeze for night-time sleeping. As much as we love the old house we definitely want to have a private bath and liked the corner room so much that we will request it again when we make our 2014 reservations. I could see bison wandering around near outside our windows and just loved that.

The Inn is well maintained as far as we're concerned and we've never had any problems when staying there. The staff have been very helpful and accommodating. Our first stay was for 3 nights and our second stay was for 6 nights. The only complaint I would note is that the dining room in the Inn did not have very good food both times we ate there. We decided we will not even bother with getting reservations and trying it a third time when we return. There are other dining options in this area though.

The lobby with the grand fireplace is big but cozy. We find ourselves taking a bottle of wine to that area and sitting in rocking chairs or the sofas to people watch, play cards, plan our next day's adventures or to just enjoy the warmth of the fireplace. I'm an early riser and enjoyed wandering to the lobby with a cup of coffee in the mornings to enjoy the peace before most other guests are up and about. Sunrise is also a good time of day to walk around the geysers in this area in order to avoid crowds.

I just cannot say enough good things about the Old Faithful Inn. Highly recommended!

Room Tip: Only a handful of rooms in the Old House have private baths so call a year in advance to reserve. Ot...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
8  Thank Amyky2013
Reviewed April 8, 2013

A stay at the Old Faithful Inn is a memorable experience. My family really enjoyed our stay there, it gave us a chance to connect with no tvs and other electronic stuff. You are close to Old Faithful of course and other beautiful things that Yellowstone National Park is know for. I recommend a room with a bath in the room. I also recommend that you make your reservations at least 6 months in advance, since this hotel books quickly especially in the summer months. There are no tv in the rooms, but the reason you go to a natural park is to enjoy nature. Kids can borrow board games and play on tables overlooking beautiful views at night. My family and two sons enjoyed our visit here immensely. I also recommend that you go to the restaurant especially if it is your birthday or a someone in your group's birthday. They do a fun rendition of happy birthday, home on the range/yellowstone style. My husband enjoyed his birthday cake too, it was delicious and my family loved their dinner at the restaurant.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank ABIGAIL6
Reviewed April 8, 2013

From the majestic setting in the geyser basin to the absolute original personification of rustic National Park architecture Old Faithful Inn is a must see if you are a citizen of this planet. Enjoy stepping back in time when you step foot inside. Relax and enjoy your stay. Remember it's supposed to be rustic.

• Stayed: May 2012
3  Thank CodiChina
Also consider these accommodations in or near Yellowstone National Park
Mammoth Hot Springs Hotel & Cabins
Mammoth Hot Springs Hotel & Cabi...
#1 of 6 in Yellowstone National Park
19 mi away
Explorer Cabins at Yellowstone
Explorer Cabins at Yellowstone
#2 of 39 in West Yellowstone
Lake Yellowstone Hotel and Cabins
Lake Yellowstone Hotel and Cabin...
#2 of 6 in Yellowstone National Park
#25 of 39 in West Yellowstone
Kelly Inn West Yellowstone
Kelly Inn West Yellowstone
#3 of 39 in West Yellowstone

Been to Old Faithful Inn? Share your experiences!