“great atmosphere - pity about the food”
Review of Old Faithful Inn

Old Faithful Inn
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed October 25, 2012

The lobby is amazing. We stayed in the old house - in a room with lots of charm that had once been Reamer's study - with a view over the steaming geyser basin. The arts and crafts furniture - copper covered wash stands, brass taps rustic cupboards etc was dlightful, and the bed comfortable. Our room did not come with bathroom - but the communal facilities in the corridor were clean and efficient.

The arm chairs and writing desks on all levels of the lobby were most comfortable and attractive. The open fires in the huge four faced stone fireplace were very comforting - the chairs around them quickly occupied.

The reception staff were helpful and attentive.

However the quality of food was disappointing: other guests warned us to avoid the a la carte dinner menu saying the food was slow to arriveand poor value so instead we opted for the buffet. This was good value but as with all buffets the salads were more successful than the hot food. The rib of beef was the best choice - but varied according to how long it had been on the buffet.

Breakfast buffet was very poor on the first morning - but much better on the second.

Room Tip: stay in the old house. At least that has character
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Bobgardiner
Write a ReviewReviews (2,713)

Reviewed October 24, 2012

My husband and I were fortunate enough to visit Yellowstone National park for 5 days this fall. Being from the East coast...we were concerned about finding our way around. It was an incredible relief to be able to stay at an inn INSIDE the park itself. Within 5 minutes of our arrival, our sight seeing had begun- Old Faithful erupted as we reached the front of the inn. Our room was very clean and comfortable. Even though we went with the less expensive room "without" the view...we still had an INCREDIBLE view! Mountains with steam from the geysers drifting gently past and a Buffalo that grazed just outside my window every morning. And the bathroom? The cleanest I've ever seen in a hotel:) True...there is no tv in the room...but you're in YELLOWSTONE!! Go outside, nothing on tv can match what's just outside the door of this beautiful inn. Oh- and the food in the dining room was delicious. We particularly enjoyed the breakfast buffet!

Room Tip: We stayed in the "West Wing". These are comfortable but affordable rooms with a private b...
4  Thank Winny78
Reviewed October 22, 2012

After a lovely stay in Many Glacier Hotel (in Glacier National Park) a few days earlier, we were looking forward to a real treat at the Old Faithful Inn in Yellowstone. Unfortunately it didn't live up to our hopes. Yes, the lobby and huge fireplace is just fantastic and Old Faithful itself is just outside, but most other things were well below par in our experience.

It started when we pulled up at the entrance. No one available to help with our bags. So we go in and wait in line 15 mins to check in. Again no one to help, so we have to schlep our bags to the room ourselves. Our room is in the "newer" section, and it is spacious with 2 queen beds. But when I go into the bathroom and turn on the light, the exhaust fan tries to start but instead coughs and splutters and just makes a horrendous noise. Then when I finish, the bathroom door handle crashes straight into the wall tiles. (The screw holes where the doorstop was attached are clearly visible).

I call housekeeping who came promptly and replaced the exhaust fan motor (but not the doorstop).

We then open the clothes cupboard and found 2 pairs of male underpants on one of the shelves! It was late by that time, so we didn't complain till the next day.

The final housekeeping insult was found when we went to bed. I am fairly tall and my feet felt that the sheets on the bed ended about 6 inches short of the end of the bed! We checked the next morning and sure enough - the sheets were too small for the bed! How could this be in a hotel that charges $220 per night for this room?

Naturally we complained, first to the housekeeping staff who were very diplomatic about it, but referred us to the front desk. The front desk staff handled the issues quite well, admitting that the size of the sheets was "a problem they had heard before", and immediately told us that they would arrange compensation when we checked out (we were given $100 off the total for 3 nights).

Next issue was wifi. It was free at Many Glacier, but wasn't available at all at Old Faithful Inn. We were sent over to the Snow Lodge, only to find that they wanted to charge nearly $5 per hour. Ridiculous - I just wanted it for 10 mins to check my email. The staff at Old Faithful Inn could have at least warned us that the wifi there wasn't free - after all it's owned by the same company.

Final problem was the dining room. On check-in we were asked if we had made reservations for the dining room. No one told us we should have done this before we arrived. So they suggested we go there and do so immediately. We were told that unless we wanted to dine at 5:30 or after 9pm, we couldn't make a reservation for any of the 3 nights we were there! But never fear - we could come any time, and they would give us a "beeper" and we could wait for about an hour in the lobby for a free table. This we did on our second night (we were too hungry to wait when we arrived, and we went over to the rather fancily named "Geyser Grill" in the Snow Lodge, where we had a very average McDonald's style burger). When we finally did get into the dining room the next night, we found the food rather ordinary - my pork knuckle was nicely cooked, though the sauce was rather bland, my wife's dish wasn't very good at all. But worst of all was the fact that the place seemed understaffed, or just disorganized. Tables were left uncleared for 20 mins or more while people were waiting in the lobby to get a table.

So certainly stay for the history and the geysers, but don't expect a 5 star hotel.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Michael-Se
Xanterra, General Manager at Old Faithful Inn, responded to this reviewResponded October 31, 2012

Dear Micahel-Se,

Thank you for your recent comments advising us of your visit to Old Faithful Inn. Comments from visitors assist us in monitoring the levels of service we provide here in Yellowstone.

I was disappointed to learn about your experience. Every year we receive thousands of visitor comments, most highly favorable, about their experience at this property. I've requested that housekeeping double check to ensure the bathroom fans are working properly and that the door stop gets reinstalled if it had been removed. The long wait time to be to be checked in was unfortunate and not in keeping with our goals. Please accept my apologies for any problems this caused, and be assured I have shared your dining observations with our management staff for their review.

Thank you again for your comments. I hope you will visit us again in Yellowstone. If I can be of any further assistance, please contact me via the information provided below.

Mike Keller, C. H. A.
Executive Director, Operations
Xanterra Parks & Resorts
PO BOX 165
Yellowstone National Park, WY 82190
(307)-344-5206
mkeller@xanterra.com

Reviewed October 21, 2012

I'm glad I stayed at the Old Faithful Inn, but it's an experience enjoyed more as a retrospective.

Everything about the lobby area is true - it is quite a sight and dripping with charm. Even in the second week of October, and they were about to close for the season, it's busy but the place is large enough to absorb it. We never managed to get a spot near the fire, however. The outdoor viewing area is a great idea. The gift shop has an enormous range of items if you're into souvenirs. There are lovely touches, like the clock they use to show the next eruption time, the lamps and writing desks, and so on.

The reviews that say things decline from there are spot on. Going from the lobby to your room is dispiriting. We had a west wing frontside room, with a bathroom. It can all best be described as adequate, but dark and dated. The carpet is fairly nasty and very worn, and isn't helped by the washbasin being outside the bathroom and in the carpeted area. Imagine the drenching that carpet's taken over the years. While their environmental efforts are admirable, the provision of cheapo plastic bins in the entry makes it all look a bit low-end. We had a Keurig, but no coffee pods, only various flavoured teas. The room is very small, and if I had brought children, I wouldn't be impressed with the cute stuffed toy on the bed with a "you can own me for only $$$" tag.

We didn't find the restaurant particularly good. The buffet looks unappetising. It may be good, but the presentation convinced us to order a la carte. An Alaskan salmon burger was actually a fried fish patty, and pretty dire. It's adequate as a mess hall, but it could be so much more, as could the rooms. They've got to be making a fair bit of money here. Prices are commensurate with the location, then a bit more. We paid $230 for our room, but I would pay more for a better room - not larger, or grand, but just more modern.

Service is fine, but a small thing - we registered when we arrived at 1pm, before heading out, and we were told all we would need to do later was collect a key. Check in is 4.30pm. But when you come back after 4.30, you have to join the same long queue again. A separate queue for people who've already registered would be good.

But you stay here because you are literally next to Old Faithful. Location can't be beat. But I agree with the previous reviewer who advised visiting here & staying at the snow lodge.

Room Tip: I don't know what rooms in the original building are like, but I'd try them over the west wi...
1  Thank teachers_on_tour
Reviewed October 18, 2012

A gorgeous facility! This historic building has been so very well cared for. The lobby is nothing short of spectacular. We stayed in the original building, and were very pleased with our charming, spotless room. We knew our bathroom would be down the hall, but it was actually quite close and not at all a problem, as the bathroom too was charming. We also had the opportunity to have a few meals in the beautiful dining room. The food and the service were consistently excellent. In fact, service throughout the Inn was friendly and accommodating. What a special memory for us!

Room Tip: Be sure Tom make reservations in advance.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank BradleyE
Reviewed October 18, 2012

We visited the park the 1st weekend of October. Although the park was empty, no crowds, once we arrived at Old Faithful Inn we found the crowds. We had to wait about 10 minutes to check in. My husband and I stayed in a room at the Old House. It was a nice room, with a queen bed. Definitely gives you the feeling of life in the Inn back in the day. We had a private bathroom, however, only a clawfoot tub (no curtain, no shower head), no shower. I had to use the community shower down the hall because I have very long hair and it would not have been easy to do it sitting in a tub. Room was plenty warm, actually had to leave 1 window open to let in some cool air. My father-in-law stayed in a room on the newer West Wing of the Inn. Much different than ours. That was more like a modern hotel room, full bathroom with tub and shower, and Keurig coffeemaker.
A lot of history in the Inn, great location to venture off and explore the Southern area of the park.
Overall happy with the experience there.

1  Thank marichip
Reviewed October 16, 2012

We have stayed twice at the Inn with both times being in the old section. The first visit was a few years ago and we had the bathroom across the hall. This was not a problem as it was clean and close. This time, we chose to stay in the old section again for the nostalgia but opted for the room that had a bathroom-only a few have this. We had a bathtub with claw feet, no shower curtain which did make for a mess. The bed was the same as previously, small and uncomfortable. Unfortunately, at this stay, we heard our neighbors and they were loud!! They woke up early and actually banged on the wall one night yelling at their neighbor for being loud. Felt like I was back in a college dorm room. However, we still feel the Inn is a great place to stay and enjoy the ambiance of the lobby and hike around the area. We were just glad to leave so we could get some sleep.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Yellowstone National Park
Mammoth Hot Springs Hotel & Cabins
Mammoth Hot Springs Hotel & Cabi...
#1 of 6 in Yellowstone National Park
19 mi away
Explorer Cabins at Yellowstone
Explorer Cabins at Yellowstone
#2 of 39 in West Yellowstone
Lake Yellowstone Hotel and Cabins
Lake Yellowstone Hotel and Cabin...
#2 of 6 in Yellowstone National Park
#25 of 39 in West Yellowstone
Kelly Inn West Yellowstone
Kelly Inn West Yellowstone
#3 of 39 in West Yellowstone

Been to Old Faithful Inn? Share your experiences!