“Very Roomy”

Mammoth Hot Springs Hotel & Cabins
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed July 3, 2007

My wife, 1.5 year old son, and I stayed at the Mammoth Hot Springs Hotel on 6/19/07. Of all the rooms that we stayed in during our Yellowstone/Grand Teton trip, this was my favorite room.

We stayed in a mid-range room which had two double beds. The room was large and in the evening we were able to watch the elk from our window.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled with family
4  Thank sgriffin
Write a ReviewReviews (2,075)

Reviewed June 29, 2007

We stayed two nights in a Mammoth Hot Springs cabin last week (June 19, 20, 2007) and really enjoyed the experience. The cabin was small, but clean and very comfortable. It had two full size beds, towels and linens were in good condition and extra blankets were provided. The small bathroom had a good shower and plenty of hot water. The vanity area had a hairdryer. My husband's comments included, "good bed, good pillow, and great showerhead". We also loved the private porch - a great place to watch birds and the evening group of elk. The screened windows provided natural air conditioning and the cabin's two heaters worked well when we needed them. The staff knock on your door for a wake up call since there are no phones or alarm clocks. They even did that for us at 4:45 am. one morning. We did have cell phone service at the hotel.
My elderly parents stayed in one of the first floor rooms in the Mammoth Hot Springs hotel building. The hotel is very old, but the room was bright and clean. There is piano music in the lobby every evening and a large outdoor patio for more wildlife watching. We saw elk, bison, bighorn sheep, coyotes and black bears - all within a half mile of the hotel. The elk, coyotes and the bison were right on the grounds.
We had several meals at the main dinning room; it is across the street from the hotel. The food was good; not outstanding, but good. The service was a little slow, but many of the waiters appeared to be new to their jobs. We reallty enjoyed our stay and I would highly recommend it to anyone.

6  Thank Babycat1955
Reviewed June 20, 2007

We booked one night in a renovated Western Cabin about a year in advance. We had 2 queen beds and our 5th person (a child) was permitted to have a sleeping bag on the floor. The cabin was a pleasant surprise - perhaps my "in park" expectations were not too high. The room was large, it has been recently updated. The bathroom was great and the sink was outside the bathroom, allowing sink use while someone else was in the shower/toilet area. There was a large picture window the woods and a heater. I think there was a fan, but we needed the heater so not an issue for us.

We wish we would have had 2 nights - the Canyon village was close by, though we drove back and forth as a grizzly had been spotted in the cabin area. It was quiet, clean, and comfortable with relatively new mattresses. We would stay again, if only we could!

2  Thank DC_tourists
Reviewed June 16, 2007

We stayed in the Mammoth Cabins and they are very charming. The cabins all have porches which are great for relaxing and watching the wildlife. The entire Mammoth area is fantastic and beautiful. I would recommend staying in these cabins and in this area above all others. The Visitor Center located in Mammoth is also great. There is alot to do right in the area. We saw a bear and two cubs while walking on the beaver lake trail.

5  Thank Linda C
Reviewed June 14, 2007

After reading prior reviews of this place I wasnt expecting to much. I'll start with the negatives. The front desk is a bit slow, but maybe thats because I was there early in the season; the room is a bit outdated; the thermostat is not very easy to use; and there was a big crack underneath the door, it seems someone forgot to install a door sweep for our room.

With the negatives there are some positives. The room seemed to be nice and neat when we entered it, my wife like the bear soap; the staff was friendly and helpful, evadently the price had droped from when we booked so they refunded us the difference; plus its a good location in the park for those entering the east enterence in late afternoon as we were. I might would stay here again as long as its only for one night, maybe two, but no longer then that.

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 12, 2007

If you are expecting to stay in a four star hotel this is not the place for you. If you are looking for a cabin and a unique experience, then this is the place. We found our cabin to be very clean and comfortable. We did not have a bathroom, but they where located just accross the street. Very quiet in the evenings and a nice little porch to sit on. The only draw back is if you are staying in a cabin that is connected to another cabin you can hear people walking on the floor (they are wooden floors). I would try to get one that stands alone. Excellent value for the money and a great memory!

5  Thank luv2skimontana
Reviewed April 26, 2007

I realized from the reviews this would be a very primitive place but it was worse than I imagined! The beds were lumpy and very uncomfortable. The shower was NASTY! I wore flip flops in the shower and my mom opted to bathe out of the sink rather than venture in the shower! It wasn't until morning that we noticed the 1/2 inch crach under the door! Anything could have crawled in during the night! The cabin was WAY over priced!!

• Stayed: July 2006, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank travelgrlFlorida
Also consider these accommodations in or near Yellowstone National Park
Lake Yellowstone Hotel and Cabins
Lake Yellowstone Hotel and Cabin...
#2 of 6 in Yellowstone National Park
Best Western By Mammoth Hot Springs
Comfort Inn Yellowstone North
Travelodge Gardiner at Yellowstone Park North Entrance
Roosevelt Lodge Cabins
Roosevelt Lodge Cabins
#2 of 17 in Yellowstone National Park
Super 8 Gardiner/Yellowstone Park Area

Been to Mammoth Hot Springs Hotel & Cabins? Share your experiences!