Mammoth Hot Springs Hotel & Cabins
Old Faithful Inn(Yellowstone National Park)
  • Restaurant
Roosevelt Lodge Cabins(Yellowstone National Park)
  • Restaurant
Canyon Lodge and Cabins(Yellowstone National Park)
2,097 results
All reviewsmammoth hot springsmap roomterrace grilldining roomfort yellowstoneboiling riverground squirrelsherd of elkfront porchprivate bathnorthern parthotel lobbygeneral storetwo double bedswestern cabinshared bathroomthe main hotel
Reviewed July 15, 2006

When in Yellowstone, one's accommodations don't matter too much given the unbelievable number of things to do and reasons to stay out of one's cabin for as many hours in the day as possible. I have been to Yellowstone many times, in all seasons, and stayed in most areas of the Park. This was the first time, however, that I have stayed in the Canyon area (that is, the developed area closed to the Grand Canyon of the Yellowstone). I rented a "Pioneer" cabin, the lowest price with an in-cabin bathroom. The cabin was very small, very spare, clean, and functional. The beds are single-size, and comfortable enough (but if you're very picky, bring your own pillow; all of Xanterra's - the exclusive concessionaire of in-Park lodging - pillows are awful.) The energy-saving over-bed reading lamps use some kind of fluorescent bulb that makes you look like you're ready for a liver transplant. I don't know why the light is so exceedingly yellow, but at least the light is bright enough to read by comfortably and the bulb is cool.

The cabins share at least one thin wall with the one next door. Pray for quiet neighbors!

They're also rather hot after being closed up all day. There are windows on two sides, and eventually, at least if there is a breeze, you can get it cooled off to a comfortable temperature. The heater works exceedingly well. One problem, however, is that the water heaters are evidently either slow to function or far away, and I was unhappy to have to run the water for a long time - like 5 minutes - before good hot water came up the pipes. In an area where water conservation is an issue, this represents something badly in need of modernization.

Another problem I have observed in the Canyon area, on two occasions 9 months apart, is that the electricity periodically goes off. Last fall we were waiting to be served dinner when it went out for a good 10 minutes; this June, the lights went out in the cabins for several hours before being restored.

However, it's all about location. The Canyon village area is central to everything on the eastern side of Yellowstone National Park, which makes it ideal to stay in, at least for part of your visit. The National Park Service is opening what promises to be a beautiful new Visitors Center at Canyon in August of 2006. It's also well supplied with restaurants, souvenier and supply shops, and services including a Post Office and gas station in addition to the National Park Service-run Visitors Center.

Yes, I would stay there again. The negatives DO NOT outweight the plusses!

15  Thank YellowstoneGal
A TripAdvisor Member
Austin, TX
Reviewed July 13, 2006

Reviewed July 10, 2006

Our family of four (including 7- and 9-year-old kids) stayed in a Mammoth cabin for 3 nights. Of all the Yellowstone lodging options, Mammoth was the least crowded and touristy. Our basic $68 cabin had two double beds and a sink but no bathroom. However, I asked to be located near the public bathroom. Queen beds would have been more comfortable, but those are hard to find anyway. Unfortunately, the view was not very scenic. The back window overlooked the employee parking lot (and the bathroom, of course) and the front overlooked a gravel road and the neighboring cabins. The interior was recently renovated and clean, but the exterior looked rough with peeling paint. The porch was nice with two chairs, but the mosquitoes made it impossible to sit out there without bugspray. However, none of that was important to us because we really only needed a place to sleep and store our stuff. At the restaurant, the goat cheese salad with smoked trout, pine nuts, and bacon was the best meal I had the entire trip. The Terrace Grill served fast food that everyone except my husband liked. He thought the eggs were overcooked and greasy. The general store sold coffee, ice cream, souvenirs, and a small selection of grocery items. At $3.39, the prepackaged sandwiches were the best deal for a picnic. We'd recommend everything except the egg salad. Mammoth was conveniently located near Norris Geyser Basin, the Roosevelt cookout, and Lamar Valley. Even the drive to Canyon wasn't that bad.

13  Thank MI-travel-mom
Reviewed July 5, 2006

We stayed in a Pioneer Cabin for 2 of our 4 nights in Yellowstone (6/23 and 24). Personally, I am not someone who stays at a Westin or Four Seasons when I travel. All I want is a clean bed and bathroom.

The Pioneer Cabins are set up motel style. We were in E2-6. The rooms are very basic but after a long day of sightseeing, all I want is a bed. We didn't have any problems with noise but it was noisier the day we were leaving. I believe that was because it was Sunday and everyone else was packing up as well. We were already awake so it didn't make a difference.

The only issue we had was the morning we were leaving as my friend did not have hot water for her shower. Though it wasn't freezing, it definitely wasn't warm. She also had some problems figuring out the heat but I was happy for that because I prefer a colder room for sleeping!

If you are expecting the Ritz, you will be disappointed. But if you are fine with basic accomodations, Canyon will serve its purpose. There is also a cafeteria here which helped us get a quick breakfast before starting the day. I personally did not find the food to be bad and thought the prices were fairly reasonable given the surroundings.

This is also a good location for exploring Grand Canyon of the Yellowstone. We were up early and it allowed us to beat the tour buses.

12  Thank Blueshirt35
Reviewed July 2, 2006

My husband and I just went to Yellowstone for the first time and stayed in a cabin at Mammoth. We didn't really have a choice, as the Mammoth cabins were the only lodging option available when we booked our stay, so we didn't know what to expect. Suffice it to say we were very pleasantly surprised! The cabin has clearly been recently remodeled, and it was all done very simply but tastefully, and clearly with quality. We ate at the Mammoth Dining Room a few times, too, and loved it every time -- the food exceeded our expectations in a big way (we were *not* expecting mixed greens with goat cheese or wild-caught salmon to be on the menu!), especially since we live in the San Francisco Bay Area, where we are very spoiled in terms of really delicious and diverse food options. We ate at a couple of other dining rooms throughout the park and when it was all said and done, Mammoth was our favorite. While we thought the location might be inconvenient, we realized once we were there that it wasn't at all; the Lamar Valley, which is the hotspot for wildlife -- especially wolf -- watching, is close by. We even drove down to the Tetons one day and came back in the same day, and Mammoth never felt too far away. All in all, we loved Mammoth and would definitely stay there again.

26  Thank bayareawoman