“Much better than expected, lovely newly renovated cabin”

Mammoth Hot Springs Hotel & Cabins
GreenLeadersGold level

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (408)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Woodbridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 31, 2005

Horrendous, ugly buildings in a stunning place.
Staff friendly and courteous at check-in: our horror at arriving at our 'cabin' translated into near-hysterical laughter as the frightfulness of our room gradually sunk in.

Outdated, shed-like timber units (definitely NOT cabins!) are clumped together in a holiday-camp like arrangement. Filthy carpet: an awful rollaway bed meant we opted simply to put the mattress on the floor for our third person. The shower was grim: we kept our shoes on - and the walls so thin I was glad my friends were good ones and we could laugh at our plight.

I'd not want any friends of mine to go here - it stands out at the most nasty of the accommodations we stayed in during our trip. Thankfully, we only had one night: I recommend people go to the delightful Roosevelt Lodge & Cabins instead!

• Stayed July 2005
4 Thank ams
California
Reviewed July 27, 2005

We were staying in the Frontier Cabins at the Canyon area of Yellowstone. Hence, we were captive to their food service having either the dining room or cafeteria to choose from.

The first night we ate in the dining room. Nice menu when looking in from the outside. I ordered the beef coulette. It should be a tender, crescent-shaped portion cut from along the edge of the sirloin. I ordered it cooked "medium."

The service was extremely slow and disorganized. BUT when the food finally arrived it was obvious that the cut of meat was not a beef coulette at all and was cooked severely beyond the texture of shoe leather. Having once operated a restaurant myself I feel qualified to state what cut of meat I am being served.

I called the waitress to ask if a mistake had been made since this clearly wasn't what I had ordered. She summoned the manager whose only concern was whether or not I was going to pay for the meal.

This menu item is simply falsely represented in the dining room and either the concessionaire doesn't know much about food or is willingly misrepresenting its offerings.

The next night we ate at the cafeteria (next door, shares the same kitchen as the dining room). They offered "prime rib" which obviously was misrepresented too. Now "prime" rib need not be prime grade to be correctly described but it does have to be from the rib section of the beef. This "prime rib" was from the rump area and is commonly known as "ship's round."

When I ordered it anyway I was told I would have to wait a few minutes in line while they brought out more. Ten minutes later I was told the wait would be even longer. Finally I was told they were "out" of the prime rib even though it was more than one hour before the cafeteria closed.

This left me with the choice of chopped-flaked-formed turkey, a sadly miscooked trout "almondine", or some pasta of unknown flavoring.

The Park's current food concessionaire is Xanterra. I've been visiting Yellowstone for more than 50 years but this is the worst food service I've encountered during all that time. Concessionaires come and go. It is time for Xanterra to go.

In all fairness, the food at the Old Faithful Lodge was a little better (just a little) and at Mammoth Hot Springs it was acceptable. Perhaps serving the Park superintendent at Mammoth makes the concessionaire work harder?

10 Thank ggg

Travelers are raving about these Yellowstone National Park hotels

A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed July 18, 2005

My husband and I thought our stay at Canyon Village was the worst part of our entire trip. However, seeing a Grizzly nearby (as one reviewer mentioned) would have made it better, and mouse turds (as noted in one of the other reviews) would have made it MUCH worse. The space between our bed and the twin bed for our son was about 6 inches, the walls were thin plywood, and the shower temperature was eratic, at best. When we arrived, the temp inside the cabin was over 90 degrees.

However, we enjoyed the lounge, restaurant, and the shops. All in all, Canyon Village was the worst of the best vacation!!! Please update the rustic cabins. You can do better.

Also, all employees we encountered were great!!!!!!!!

• Stayed July 2005
3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Yellowstone National Park
Lake Yellowstone Hotel and Cabins
Lake Yellowstone Hotel and Cabin...
#1 of 6 in Yellowstone National Park
Old Faithful Inn
Old Faithful Inn
#1 of 1 in Yellowstone National Park
4.0 of 5 bubbles 2,412 reviews

Been to Mammoth Hot Springs Hotel & Cabins? Share your experiences!