“Very rustic (almost like camping), no TV, no internet, just bears elk, deer and critters.”

Mammoth Hot Springs Hotel & Cabins
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed October 6, 2012

I did enjoy our stay. Beds were comfortable and the park is without equal. The scenic rides (the place is indeed Mammoth- a million acres) were unmatched anywhere I have been. The wildlife was bounding. Elk, bison, bears, deer, raccoons. And the steam vents and springs, and Old Faithful... amazing. Just be ready to rough it a little. Cabins are very small, very dated, and without the ammenities of the technical world. There is cell phone reception only at the far north part of the park (Mammoth). It is 50 miles from the west entrance to the north entrance. Plan on Lots of driving time inside the park from site to site. Our view out the window of our cabin was amazing. Enjoyed our stay, but it is 2012 you guys.

Room Tip: Make sure you have your own bathroom. Some cabins don't. travel after the beginning of Septemb...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (2,075)

Reviewed October 6, 2012

We had a great view, the staff was great and room was cozy. The restaurant had good hearty food.

Cons were:
The room was cold on one side and hot by the radiators at night
It was a little noisy because it was buy the lounge but otherwise comfortable.
The water pressure was low. This didn't bother me but bothered my sister.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the end of the hall so you don't have traffic going to & from the lobby...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 5, 2012

I spent two nights at Mammoth while travelling solo on an extended motorcycle trip. Although I visited at the tail end of the peak season, Yellowstone is the most popular national park in the country, so I was not expecting any kind of solitude or wilderness experience in this "downtown" part of Yellowstone. Also, having stayed at other NPS lodges, I arrived knowing that this property would be more quaint and kitschy then luxury.

With that said, I had a great stay here. The cabins are arranged like those at a kids' camp, with rows of them arranged in lanes behind the main hotel. The only reservation I could get was for a budget cabin without a private bathroom, but since I was travelling solo this was not an issue for me. It might have been inconvenient had I been there with my young children.

The cabins are all very quaint, with little sitting porches out front. The interiors have recently been renovated, and so are clean, comfortable, and nicely decorated. The showers and toilets were located right behind my cabin, and were also clean. There are enough of them that I never ran into another guest there. Even though you don't get a private bath, you still get hotel-grade towels, linens, and bath amenities.

Although though there are no phones, TVs, or internet connections here, my stay was rustic and delightful. One nice thing for motorcycle travellers is that you can park your vehicle right outside your cabin, which makes it easy to stay organized, maintain your bike, and keep it nearby.

It's a short walk to the main dining lodge, which offers acceptable food at generally reasonable prices (for a national park). It does get extremely busy at dinner, however, and I had to wait 30 minutes each night even though I only needed a table for one, and ate quite late in the evening.

I love the history and nostalgia of the national park lodges, and was travelling alone, so I really enjoyed my stay inside Yellowstone. However, if I wanted better value, or modern conveniences (such as internet, television, or a pool for the kids), one of the properties just outside the park in Gardiner or West Yellowstone would probably be a better idea.

Room Tip: The cabins are nice, and a lot of fun for those seeking a rustic experience
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Snowkarver
Reviewed October 3, 2012

I should preface this review by saying that we had just stayed at Canyon Frontier Cabins the two nights before and it was a terrible experience. Problems with heat/thermostat, limited services for food, more potholes than my Ohio roads, bad breakfast food and service and staff that didn't give one hoot because "there were only five days left."
When we opened the door to the cabin here at Mammoth, I heard singing and lights shining down. A big improvement from Canyon. The room was bright and light (which I love), the bathroom was clean and it just felt CRISP. We didn't need two queens, but that's what was available and the beds and pillows were super comfortable. Each cabin had a deck on the front with two chairs and a table. Lovely. This cabin just felt really good. I loved it. Not to mention, the staff was pleasant, this location had plenty of service (food options) late in September and the same EXACT meal that we got cold at Canyon, was served quickly and very hot here. Great service!

Cons: At $141 (after taxes) it should be nice or even nicer! For such a small space, it just doesn't seem right to charge so much in-park, but I guess the monopoly works for them. Our cabin didn't have clear parking. They had these big rocks that prevented you from parking on the grass areas, which is ok, but someone not paying attention may hit one! Our view was the back of some building, maybe the gym. There are probably terrace views. Not sure if they cost more.

Room Tip: There are cabins that stand alone and some where two cabins share a wall. We did not have loud neig...
Reviewed October 2, 2012

Because I kept checking the website, I secured a reservation for a frontier cabin only two weeks before our stay. We LOVED it. It's probably the luck of the draw, but we got a single cabin, Number A12. These cabins are close together behind the hotel, but are a short walk from everything and are delightful in every way. I thought the price was a bargain for a two queen room with a private bath. The beds were triple-sheeted instead of having a creepy bedspread that does not get laundered between guests. We had a quick meal at the Terrace Grill so we could catch a ranger-led tour of the old U.S. Calvary buildings. In the evening, we had cocktails at the lounge of the Mammoth Hotel Dining Room, and ordered from the small plates menu. The bartender was busy, but kept on top of everything, and the mini trout tacos were great.

Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Susanarl
Reviewed October 1, 2012

Warm, comfortable rooms (QQ in our case) when we stayed there last September.

Check in was a bit slough, but it was seamless from there on. A nice bullelk was keeping our front door for us and kept any trouble away by bugling all night.. :-s

Bathroom was nice and big (for a change), and cabin was smarter than what we have come accross in other places.

However, as usual with Xantera it seems, the sheets were too small. I'm 6ft1, and the sheets, even untucked, didn't reach my shoulders. Cabins have heating so it's bareable, but I can't call it nice.

Pricing was a bit steep I found.

Reviewed September 30, 2012

I stayed here while I was visiting the park with my husband and two kids. We picked this hotel because it was in the park and had rooms available last minute. All other hotels were either closed or were booked up. We stayed in the hotel and our room did have a private bath. But there was no tv, no internet, and no a/c. My kids and husband thought this was the end of the world. Alas, it didn't kill them for one night. I thought it was very retro and cute! I didn't mind being unconnected for a couple of days. The room was super clean! We had enough towels and the beds were comfy. Despite not having a/c, there was a fan and we had the window open on a 40 degree night. We all slept well. It was pricey at $130/night. But it was in the park, so we saved money in gas that we would have spent driving to a hotel outside of the park. Overall, I'm satisfied and have no complaints. :)

Also consider these accommodations in or near Yellowstone National Park
Lake Yellowstone Hotel and Cabins
Lake Yellowstone Hotel and Cabin...
#2 of 6 in Yellowstone National Park
Best Western By Mammoth Hot Springs
Comfort Inn Yellowstone North
Travelodge Gardiner at Yellowstone Park North Entrance
Roosevelt Lodge Cabins
Roosevelt Lodge Cabins
#2 of 17 in Yellowstone National Park
Super 8 Gardiner/Yellowstone Park Area

Been to Mammoth Hot Springs Hotel & Cabins? Share your experiences!