“Nice Room, but no bathroom nearby”

Mammoth Hot Springs Hotel & Cabins
GreenLeadersGold level
Atlanta
“Nice Room, but no bathroom nearby”
Reviewed August 25, 2012

I stayed at this lodge in August. while travelling alone in Yellowstone. I was very late booking, so I had to take what I could get and this was the only room available. I stayed in one of the budget cabins in the back for 1 night, one with a "shared bath." Unfortunately, the shower & toilet were about 20 yards down the road. The shower & toilets were OK, a little better than a nice state park. My room was excellent, especially the bed. No AC, no TV and no phone, but a lot of nice people around outside. The walls were thin, so I could hear everything going on around me. It got quiet early, so no real problems with noise. There was also a sink in the room, which made it a bit easier not having to go down the street to brush my teeth, etc. My price for the room was less than $100. per night, so it was good value for what I received.
The lodge itself was very nice, and the staff was excellent. I requested extra towels when checking in, but forgot to pick them up. A staff member showed up at my room later with the towels, which was impressive! The restaurant & lounge (with TV) were also very nice. There is also a snack bar on the property, but I was not so impressed with it.
My only complaint, besides the shared bath which I knew about going in, was the lack of free WiFi in the main lodge building. Wifi is available, but you have to pay for it. I'd like to see all the park lodges make free Wifi available in the public area. Verizon cell service was good in this location though. I can certainly recommend this place as one of the better Yellowstone park lodges. It is within walking distance of the terraces, which are stunning and worth the trip!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank thestanman

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (414)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Jackson, New Jersey
Reviewed August 25, 2012

We stayed in one of the cabins for a couple of days while visiting the park. The location is well situated for visiting the thermal features of the park. The rooms, while small, were very clean and comfortable. It was nice to be able to sit on the porch and watch the ground squirrels play.THe setting is very quaint. There are several dining options in the park or you can easily venture into Gardiner for dinner.

Room Tip: Try to get a cabin vs. staying in the main hotel.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Hellertown, Pennsylvania
Reviewed August 24, 2012

Stayed in the main building in a room with two queen beds and shared bath. After reading reviews and tour books, got pretty much what we expected. Not a fan of shared bathrooms, but at least these were very clean and I never had to wait. Room at least has a sink, so it's doable. It was warm for Yellowstone and a little stuffy but fortunately cooled off at night. Common rooms are rather attractive. Main complaint would be parking - they should have some reserved specifically for the hotel - the parking lot is filled with people sightseeing and especially in the afternoon parking is very difficult to come by. Otherwise it's fine, and the location makes it very convenient to visit the hot springs, the Lamar Valley, the Roosevelt Cookout, and other areas in the northern part of the park.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Newburgh, NY
Reviewed August 23, 2012

I was traveling with my parents (ages 81 and 75) and my twin daughters age 15. We had 2 separate "cabins". My parents had a Queen bed, bathroom and hot tub. Very nice. We had a double unit - two adjoining rooms. One had one Queen and the other had 2 Queens. Everyone had their own bed. We had a nice sink in each of the rooms, but we had to use a common bathroom/shower. It happened to be right next to our unit so it was a very short walk. There were no noise problems and we never even saw anyone else in the bathroom! We had a burned out light bulb that was replaced immediately when requested.

Room Tip: Tip: bring a flashlight in case you do have to walk. Elk are often in the area; you don't want t...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Carolyn A
Paris, France
Reviewed August 23, 2012

We (my husband, 2 children [5 and 7], and I) stayed in one of the small frontier cabins behind the hotel. It was clean and basic which was fine, but it was really too small for four people and their luggage, even if two of them were kids. The location was great for visiting the hot springs and that area of the Park, and we saw elk on the hill behind our cabin, but I'd try for something a bit bigger next time. The frontier cabins at Lake Hotel were bigger and fine, and the western cabins at Canyon were great.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank AndeaU
Boston
Reviewed August 21, 2012

Stayed in a cabin at the MHSL at the northern part of Yellowstone. Very basic but perfect. Comfortable and a good spot for that night of our tour of Yellowstone. Very good dining room; elk roaming on the lawn. Interesting to learn the history of that area. Lots of families.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Conroe, Texas
Reviewed August 19, 2012

As some of the other reviewers have said, the cabins are a bit spartan but they are very clean and this is a great place to stay in the park. We had a cabin in the back up against the hill and there were elk grazing outside our window every morning. There is plenty of wildlife here. There were elk and bison grazing on the grounds of the hotel. Be sure to do the ranger led tour of the old fort. It was very interesting and we learned a lot about the early formation of the park. At the back of the hotel by the cabins there is the old gravel road going to Gardiner, Montana. It is one way from Mammoth to Gardiner and is something you should do. It winds through the mountains and comes out at the north gate. Drive slow and enjoy the wildlife and beautiful views. We will definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: If staying in a cabin, try to get one in the back against the hill for the wildlife.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank John W
Also consider these accommodations in or near Yellowstone National Park
Lake Yellowstone Hotel and Cabins
Lake Yellowstone Hotel and Cabin...
#2 of 6 in Yellowstone National Park
Comfort Inn Yellowstone North
Old Faithful Inn
Old Faithful Inn
#1 of 1 in Yellowstone National Park

Been to Mammoth Hot Springs Hotel & Cabins? Share your experiences!