“Convenient location and thats it”

and 1 more site!
Canyon Lodge and Cabins
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed October 2, 2012

We stayed in one of the frontier cabins while travelling as couple last September.
Some of the cabins are within walking distance from the Canyon north rim, which is nice. But that's it.

As usual with Xanterra accomodation in Yellowstone, sheets were much to small, barely reaching my shoulders even when untucked (I'm 6ft1).

Lighting in the cabin was dim, but that is probably for the best as everything seemed worn out and a bit grubby. The sink was stained.

Maybe the lodge is better?

It should also be noted that dining options are non-existent: a snack/grill that serves until 6.45 pm (closes at 7pm...), and the lodge dining room. We got there at 7.30, and were only seated two hours later (only two of us, can't think what it would be like with a larger group).

Conveniently, the bar sits just outside the dining area so you can allways order drinks and appetizers... but not sit down as they have far to few chairs and tables for the number of guests around. Bear in mind that this was in the second week of September, can't think what it would be like during the July/August rush.

Maybe the lodge hotel rooms are better? Unfortunately, not really any other options around...

Room Tip: Ask for a cabin near the rim. They might be a little more expensive, I can't recall, but locatio...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank shadowwisps
Write a ReviewReviews (1,215)

Reviewed October 1, 2012

Stayed in a frontier cabin. Location was the only thing it had going for it. Paid a fair bit of money because our 12 year old children are considered adults and you have to pay extra for them. It is very small with stained carpets and bedding that has seen better days. It is in a complex of 8 cabins in a spoke like formation - so you will hear your neighbours. When the plumbing was used in the cabin next to us in the middle of the night it made a noise that was so loud and disturbing I actually jumped out out bed trying to figure out what it was. Very hot when you go to bed and then freezing by morning.
However it is a good location - you don't have to drive in and out of the park etc. and is close to the restaurant and store so it does cut down on driving considerably
Normally not very picky but we stayed in Colter Bay Cabins and OF Snow lodge cabins and this was disappointing when we compared the prices we paid for each.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank LondonFamilyofSix
Reviewed October 1, 2012

We stayed at a cabin in Canyon after staying at OF Inn, West Yellowstone and Grand Tetons. Shocking change of quality. Being warned on here that the in-park lodging is basically a box with bed and bathroom, this is what I expected all others would be. This is the spareness, come to life. That would be ok, if we weren't spoiled the first three nights. Seriously, it is a place to sleep, so that's all I cared about, I thought.
Cabins aren't really cabins. They are like three rectangles all connected. Family stayed next door, but never loud. If you forget something in your car, have a light source, it's the darkest of anywhere I've been. The things that needed to be cleaned were clean, but walls were not. The room did have more room than OF, so if you like to run around the free floor after a day on-th-go, this place is for you. Also, I come from Ohio where roads are torn up from trucks clearing snow, and the state of decay these roads were in, must have only come from years of neglect. I had a Subaru Outback and the roads did not handle well. Everything about this place contradicts the beauty of Yellowstone.
My other problem was with the thermostat. Windows were open, heat off and thermostat read at 90*. We closed windows anticipating cold, but couldn't justify heat when it was stifling. Woke in middle of night feeling like we were sleeping in the woods. FREEZING, doesn't describe it. Ok, thermostat still reads 90* but I turn it on anyways to 70*. Woke again like we were being microwaved. So HOT! Turned it down just a tad, and cold ensued again. Not a good night of sleep. The next night I set it for 50* and with all the blankets, it seemed to work out.
We also went to bed hungry because I counted on eating at Canyon for dinner more than any other place as we started running out of groceries. I felt I was more prepared than most with the amount of planning I did, but did not realize most food options were closed after 6pm and services were stopped. Dining room had a two hour wait, at 8pm. They offered eating at bar like they just gave you prize. The problem with that? All these people enjoying drinks and no food just lingered like they had no plans the next day. We were starving, standing there, while they just sat in the only chairs that offered food... with no food. Ok, so my hunger was coming through. Speaking to the desk, they said that with only 5 days left, they were lucky to have what they have. I believe he added how that 5 days couldn't come quickly enough. Nice. Now granted, this is in late September. However, this place should have lowered prices for not being able to provide services for the number of people they were lodging. It was over $100 with taxes. Not ok. Not worth it and any amount of management comments won't fix my only BAD experience in the entire park.
A young couple came in while we were waiting and thought they'd get seated right away. I'll never forget the look on their faces when they were told they couldn't get a table until 10pm (they close at 10... how does that work?) Food isn't something you can just give the prepared and rich, for crying out loud. We left and went to bed hungry... ok, I ate half a pb&j, but I had so much for lunches, I didn't eat more.
We felt obligated to eat a hearty breakfast the next morning due to our hunger, instead of cereal, but that just proved to be another bad experience. We waited for our food forever... ok, but it should come hot then. It wasn't even warm. Eggs... not good cold. Hash browns, really not good cold. They were cold. We ate b/c the thought of them "fixing" it was ridiculous. The waitress looked like her hair wasn't washed or brushed in a week. I can see being young and not really caring, but it wasn't a small issue, her hair that was put up was beyond acceptable (and I'm no hair Nazi) and no staff asked her to brush it and put it up again? She acted like living was a serious hassle. Precious hours in this beautiful park wasted on cold, expensive food. Oh, and when we were seated we asked for the $5.95 deal that is advertised in this dining room. She told us it was next door. We weren't going to wait to be seated at another dining room. Yes, it was next door and I read it on the way out, but it was in small print and after my night, I was in no shape to read thoroughly.
Unfortunately, they know people will come. It's just a shame. The quality here ... isn't. The rest of my trip... just as amazing as BEFORE Canyon cabins!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank zoesah
Reviewed September 30, 2012

Our family of 4 stayed for 6 nights in a Frontier Cabin at Canyon Village in Yellowstone Park and paid $100/night. The outside looked a bit rustic, but the inside was clean and comfortable and felt more like a motel room (minus the tv). We had maid service daily with fresh towels, shampoo, and soap. We stayed in August and the room was a bit stuffy in the evening when we would return for the day, but there was a fan you could use by the open windows to cool off the room. The temperature gets very cool in the evening and night, even in the summer, so by morning we were turning on the heat. That is just how it is at Yellowstone. There is no cooking inside the cabins and at check in you have to sign a paper saying if you do cook in the cabins they will charge you a $250 fee. But there are wooden deck/patio areas outside all of the cabins and if you want you can bring a propane camp stove to cook (I called and they said yes, this is permitted). You just need to put them inside when fully cooled so they don't attract the animals. I guess you could bring a hot plate, toaster, or coffee pot and just run a longer extension cord (like those orange ones) out to the deck. The cabins were so clean and comfortable that I would not hesitate to stay there again. The Canyon Village area is the most central village in Yellowstone and if you want to stay in just one area as a home base, then this is the place. It was a 30 to 45 minute drive to each of the other villages. Yellowstone is a VERY BIG park, so expect alot of driving to see it all. Before traveling here I read in many many reviews that it is hard to get cell phone service in the park. We have iphones and were able to get good reception most of the time. And much of the time we were even able to access the internet on our phones. So if you want a nice, clean, comfortable place to stay in a central part of Yellowstone for a reasonable rate then I would highly recommend the Frontier Cabins at Canyon Village.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank J-ME-19
Reviewed September 30, 2012

My family of 3 (Husband, 4 year old son, and myself) stayed here for 3 nights after spending 3 nights in the Western Cabins at the OFSL. We definitely preferred these. The scenery was much prettier, and we were so close to Hayden Valley. Since early morning and dusk are prime wildlife viewing opportunities, this was the perfect place to stay. While in this area, we saw 4 wolves, a coyote, a black bear, 6 grizzlies (a momma with 2 cubs on 2 separate occasions), a bald eagle, and of course, lots of bison. Canyon Falls is also nearby, and is absolutely breathtaking.

Anyway, the rooms were perfect for our needs. Keep in mind, you are in a National Park, not a Caribbean Resort. If you know what to expect, you will be pleased. The room was clean, the bathroom fixtures were actually much more modern than those at the OFSL, there was plenty of room for us to sprawl out with all our stuff.

I did have to do laundry located at the Canyon Campground area, and the facility was clean and well kept.

When we return to Yellowstone, we would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank TxLisa
Reviewed September 30, 2012

First, make sure to plan your trip a year in advance in order to stay in the hotels inside the park. We stayed in the western cabins for 3 nights. The cabins have 3 rooms to a building with parking in front of the building. Each area has an ice house for ice cubes.
Our room had 2 queen sized beds, a nice dresser, a Keurig coffee maker with 2 regular coffees, 2 decaf, 1 regular tea and one herbal tea. The nice bathroom sink area had a hair dryer, shampoo and lotion (no conditioner) and a cute bear shaped soap (among the regular soaps). The bathroom soap is a nice oatmeal exfoliating soap with the middle taken out (to reduce waste?). The bathroom could have been a little warmer. There was a small heat lamp that had little effect, especially with the fan that turns on automatically with the main light.
The room heater worked really well although it was a little noisy when it came on. The linens are average motel type quality and there are a couple lumpy pillows for each bed.
Of course, there isn't a TV or a telephone. For AT&T wireless customers, you can get a couple bars on your cell phone. There are plenty of electrical outlets in the sink area and the main room for recharging. Maid service is daily.
There is no complimentary breakfast. You can get a quick breakfast in the deli for about $3-$5 and a much bigger breakfast in the main dining room where you can order from the menu or eat from the buffet. The breakfast in either is nothing special and the main dining room can really suck up lots of time from your day. It takes forever and service is spotty.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank iwanderafar
Reviewed September 29, 2012

4 nights in Cascade Lodge for our Yellowstone adventure and I'm so glad we opted for this accommodation.

Location
Smack bang in the middle of the loop giving you the best access to the various sections of the park. Lamar Valley (depending on traffic) is approx 1 hour away, Hayden Valley 1/2 mile away and Grand Canyon of Yellowstone 10 minute jog from your room as I find out one morning.

Room
We had a room which was both clean and well kept, on the ground floor of Canyon Lodge. It contained 2 queen size beds both of which were comfy and otherwise the room was spartan but rustic looking enough to pull it off.

Remember to bring your own iron and chiller box as these are not provided (we had an ice machine next to our room) but Coffee maker is provided.

I didn't get to look inside any of the cabins but if you're looking for a real log cabin effect don't book these, they look more like portaloos, I'm glad I opted for the lodge instead.

Facilities
Canyon Village housing the main restaurant/bar/reception/general store is a short 5 minute walk from the lodge and provides decent food whether it's breakfast or an evening meal you're looking for. The restaurant does get busy as there isn't any other options close by, so expect to have to wait for a table. Unfortunately the bar area (which has a definite 70's feel which needs to be updated) has nowhere near enough seats for waiting diners and so there could be a lot of standing around, although if you sample the Teton Ale on draft it helps the wait go faster.

Overall
The location is the most important factor when visiting Yellowstone and this couldn't be beaten. Oh and there was a Bison standing outside of the lodge as we arrived (you just cant top that), great accommodation in an amazing park.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Yellowstone National Park
Mammoth Hot Springs Hotel & Cabins
Mammoth Hot Springs Hotel & Cabi...
#1 of 6 in Yellowstone National Park
Lake Yellowstone Hotel and Cabins
Lake Yellowstone Hotel and Cabin...
#2 of 6 in Yellowstone National Park
Best Western By Mammoth Hot Springs
Comfort Inn Yellowstone North
Roosevelt Lodge Cabins
Roosevelt Lodge Cabins
#1 of 17 in Yellowstone National Park
23 mi away
Yellowstone's Absaroka Lodge

Been to Canyon Lodge and Cabins? Share your experiences!