“The best place in the park!!!”

Roosevelt Lodge Cabins
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed March 12, 2012

This is the absolute best place to stay in the park! If you need a lot of coddling and amenities don't stay here. However if you love the great outdoors and plan to actually do things in the park this is the place. You will see wildlife and some of the best people watching around!!! My favorite is to grab a beer and sit on the porch in the rockers. There are hiking trails right there on site and your a hop, skip, & a jump to Lamar valley. I question any negative reviews because it's near impossible to get reservations. Food is good and you can get sack lunches to go hiking.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
6  Thank Kim S
There are newer reviews for Roosevelt Lodge Cabins

Reviewed February 11, 2012

Roosevelt Lodge is our all time favorite location while visiting Yellowstone. The proximity to the Lamar Valley is worth the effort it takes to stay in such a rustic location. The staff is very nice, friendly, helpful, sweet, and wonderful. ALL of them!

My first tip would be to plan your Yellowstone visit at least a year in advance if you want to stay at Roosevelt. We made our reservations well in advance (about 14 months prior) and still could not reserve a room with a bathroom. The shared bath is very clean, but it was a pain to schlep everything to another building. You're basically camping with a hard shell cabin. I was lucky - I talked my body into only having to get up once in the middle of the night! :D

The Frontier cabin is very small but we think it's cozy and perfect. It has just enough room for two beds, a small desk and the 'wood' burning stove. I say 'wood' because you don't use wood to heat the room, you use these compressed spiral things instead that the lodge provides. Make sure you stock up on the spiral things; they're located in the middle of the cabins. Also, the lodge will provide you with a starter log. You don't need the whole log to start the fire...break off a piece so you have some for the middle of the night. I had our two kids go separately to the lodge and ask for a starter because they only allow one per day. (I like to be prepared) Our trip was at the end of June and it was very VERY cold at night so bring thermals! Start your stove, get it really going to heat up your cabin but be aware you'll probably have to restart it in the middle of the night. We never did keep it going successfully the whole night through, and at one point I slept in thermals, pj's, and my fleece jacket and was still pretty cold. Totally not a complaint, just trying to have you prepared! The cabins with bathrooms are hard to come by; I think there are only a handful available so more than likely you'll have the Frontier cabin. I have to say they are dirt cheap so if we could only reserve this type again we would even though it was a challenge.

They have a little store on site where you can buy snacks, drinks, beer, candy, etc. The lodge itself is also a restaurant. It was excellent. We only had dinner one night, and I wish we had eaten there more, but the dinner we did have was SO GOOD! We were too busy taking in the sights to make it back for formal eating....we tended to heat up soup and make sandwiches on our tailgate while we were watching for wolves. The lodge also has a small bar area which was nice; my husband and I could get a cocktail and sit on the porch on rocking chairs and enjoy the scenery.

Across the street is the beginning of Lamary Valley where beautiful, huge, Bison roam. Amazing animals. There is also a Ranger Station a few feet down the road. Go visit the Ranger! They are so informative; they can tell you if there's been bear sightings, etc. There is also a WONDERFUL Junior Ranger Program that my daughter absolutely loved! She earned six patches on our trip from different National Parks we visited on this trip. Totally cool! I can't say enough how awesome the Rangers are at Yellowstone!

Lamar Valley....the Serengeti of Northern America. Unfortunately, a road washed out while we were there so we did not have access to the entire valley until our last day, but even though we only had 8 miles, we took full advantage of it! Get up at 4:30-5:00 and get out there to see the amazing animals! We saw herds of Bison running down a hill only to strut straight through another herd. The grunting and snorting was unbelievable. We were SO LUCKY to meet a very nice couple from Idaho who was SO KIND and let us look through their scopes. We saw grizzly, coyotes, a bald eagle, osprey, and a GIANT Bison who decided to scratch his head on the parking posts right in front of us. We were smart enough to keep our distance and stayed behind the car until he was done scratching. Oh, what a sight. He was brown and beautiful. I wish I could have scratched his itch for him! The coyotes were talkative and we saw one run down the hill to meet his two buddies.

Once the road opened up, we were at that point staying lower in the loop, but we made the trip back up and it was totally worth it. We saw badgers! That was so unexpected and exciting! The only animal that eluded us was the Mountain Goat. I forgot to mention my husband and son hiked and ran right into a family of Mountain Sheep. They had a baby with them so they smartly and rightfully just watched them from afar and then turned around instead of trying to go through. I wish I had been on that hike!

The hiking is just crazy good there. Trout Lake is a pretty easy family hike; we saw a bear, osprey eating a fish, and trout. Slough Creek was a great hike - look for the Slough Creek wolves. The Mountain Sheep hike was at the Yellowstone picnic area. The wolves we saw were down near Hayden Valley, but Lamar Valley has a few packs. Ask the Rangers where the best place is to scope them out. We saw three adults on a hunt and three pups. VERY LUCKY!

Yellowstone is a park unlike any other. I would NOT recommend taking small children. It truly isn't safe for them. Two adult men were killed by grizzlies this past year; make SURE you take bear spray and NEVER hike alone! Our children were 10 and 11 when we went and they loved it BUT my kids travel very well and enjoy this type of trip.

We plan on going back. It's a major trip so I don't know when, but when we do we will stay at the Roosevelt Lodge for the entire duration. Best location in the park hands down. What would I do differently? I would have invested in a high quality scope and binoculars. Everyone we met was kind enough to let us see through their scopes but I wish I had my own!

Room Tip: Book well in advance to stay in this location. If coming early in the season bring thermals!
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
15  Thank Lori R
Reviewed October 10, 2011

My wife and I stayed at Roosevelt Lodge in a Frontier Cabin for three nights in early September 2011 as part of our tour through Yellowstone and Grand Teton. We made lodging reservations for the trip over a year in advance (14 months) to ensure that we got the dates and lodging choices that we wanted.

Roosevelt Lodge is actually a complex of buildings. The central lodge building contains the main desk for the establishment, the dining hall, a small lounge area and a very nice front porch (great for relaxing in the evening). All the lodging is provided as detached cabins arrayed around the property. There are three levels of cabins with the least rustic being the Frontier Cabins like the one in which we stayed. One of the key advantages of the Frontier Cabin is the private bathroom (the more rustic cabin options have a shared bathroom/shower arrangement in the form of bath houses). Several of the cabins had woodstoves for heat, but again, the Frontier Cabin we had used propane (I think) heat. There is also a General Store located next to the lodge building, which was a convenient place for buying snacks and drinks.

I found the staff at Roosevelt to be very friendly and quite helpful. This included the front desk staff, the servers in the dining hall and lounge and the cleaning folks. Everyone I talked to was wearing a smile and seemed genuinely happy to be working at Roosevelt.

Our cabin (number 87) had plenty of space, in fact much more space than the room we had at Old Faithful Inn. It had two double beds and a desk, plus the sink was located in the main living space. Having a private bath was very nice particularly since the weather was turning cool, and was quite chilly at night (so the last thing we wanted to do was have to make a dash for the bathhouse in the dark and cold!). There was parking available next to each cabin (at least as far as I could tell) which was very convenient. The cabins were just a short walk back to the dining hall and general store. Just a bit further down the driveway (toward the main highway) were the stables for horseback rides and chuck wagon dinners. The cabin was very clean and there were plenty of towels and extra blankets, but we were nice and warm in our cabin. Soap and shampoo are provided, but there was no hair dryer (much to my wife’s chagrin).

The location of Roosevelt Lodge was very convenient to Lamar Valley, Tower Fall, Mount Washburn and the Canyon area. It is a great place to stay to focus on these areas. A plus in my opinion is that Roosevelt is not part of a village setup like at Old Faithful or Canyon so it provides a more relaxed and peaceful atmosphere. We stayed at Old Faithful Inn the three days prior to arriving at Roosevelt and while we enjoyed our time in the Old Faithful area, it was a lot more crowded and busier than at Roosevelt. We did not stay in the Canyon area, but did visit on two separate days, and found the Village to be way too touristy and kitsch. Roosevelt just had a nice relaxed atmosphere and a slower pace to it that made for a nice change in the middle of our trip.

We were also able to arrange a Yellow Bus tour of the Lamar Valley through the folks at the front desk. The bus we rode came from Mammoth and stopped to pick us up at 7:00 AM. Great tour. We also did a driving tour on our own through Lamar Valley which again is easily accessible from Roosevelt Lodge (the road heading into the valley is right across the from the lodge). But you can see animals right at Roosevelt Lodge as well. Our first evening, we watched a large herd of bison grazing in the fields across the highway from the lodge. On our final morning at Roosevelt, I was walking about just enjoying the peace of the area, and saw a large herd of bison along the road across from the Ranger station. I walked down to the Ranger station and watched the herd dynamics for about a half hour. As it was early, there was very little traffic, so you could hear the bison grunting and snorting as they went about their business. Very cool!

Oh, and make sure to check out the night skies while at Roosevelt. There is really no light pollution to speak of, so on a clear night, the Milky Way is readily visible. Just a bonus of a stay at Roosevelt.

Overall, I believe this was my favorite lodging choice of the places we stayed in the park. I liked them all (Old Faithful Inn and Lake Hotel were the other places in which we stayed) as each was unique and had its own style and charm, but Roosevelt was special. We will definitely stay here again when we return to Yellowstone.

Room Tip: Make your reseravations well in advance of your trip. This goes for all the lodging options within...
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
23  Thank OhioHick
Reviewed September 19, 2011

Roosevelt Lodge is more than just a place to sleep and eat while enjoying what the North Central section of Yellowstone National Park has to offer. It is a time machine that transports you back to the early 1900's providing a sense of what it must have been like to visit the Park when there were few distractions to interfere with communing with nature and fellow travelers.

For those who don't fear rustic (but spotless) rooms you will be rewarded with one of the best front porch rocking venues you can enjoy. Friendly fellow guests and staff help make your stay comfortable and relaxing. The restaurant dining room is in my opinion the best in the Park with good preparation and variety albeit with a western bent on many of your choices. As is the case with all restaurants in the park maintain reasonable expectations and you won't be disappointed.

Roosevelt Lodge besides having it's own attractions and views provides the easiest and shortest access to the Lamar Valley, the real gem of Yellowstone.

Try the "Wake Up To Wildlife" Yellow bus tour. We have done it twice and each time it provided unforgettable encounters with wolves, grizzlies, elk, pronghorn and bison.

Room Tip: Some cabins offer communal bathrooms so be sure to tell your reservation person which you want.
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled with friends
7  Thank Little-Tupper
Reviewed September 19, 2011

We stayed 2 nights at the frontier cabins at Roosevelt. The frontier cabins have a bathroom in the cabin and a heater. The cabin was clean & beds were comfortable. There were no amenities except for wonderful bars of soap, shampoo & rinse. The 1st night we did the 1 hour horseback ride to a chuckwagon cookout and that was fun. The 2nd day we did the Mt. Washburn hike/ Dunraven Pass which is actually closer to the Canyon cabins. We ate a breakfast & dinner at the lodge & both were good although a little pricey for what you got. There is the lodge which is registration, bar & restaurant & a small store there. There were no hiking trails close by although we did go to Lamar Valley the 2nd evening. I missed having ranger led talks or something to do in the evening. There is no ranger anything at Roosevelt.

Room Tip: If you want a room with an attached bathroom you need to reserve early as there are not too many of...
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled with friends
4  Thank fun2gogal
Reviewed September 15, 2011

Our opinion of Roosevelt. We have been in Yellowstone many times and have now stayed at every area except Grant and Mammoth.

Can't beat the location if you are going to spend your time in Lamar and along that part of the northern loop. The roughrider cabin was much nicer than I had expected. There is no heat, but you have wood and a stove to burn it in. Also there was a fan in the room. It is small, but has a table and nightstand and we only spend our time in our rooms to sleep.

The atmosphere is great, meals were excellent. The communal bathroom was very clean -- had 2 toilets, 2 showers and 2 sinks. The bathroom was not a problem with being crowded for us although the area was full (but I could see that might be a problem if everyone decided to go at the same time). I'm not a fan of communal bathrooms but the facilities themselves were clean. We were in the cabin right next to the bathroom facilities which was great. I usually get up at least once during the night to use the facilities and it would have been a long, dark and cold walk to them from the farthest cabin. We are not campers -- like to hike, etc. all day but come back to our room which doesn't have to have much in it because we don't spend much time there but I wouldn't like to spend more than one night without my own facilities. Also the bed was one double and we sleep in a king so it wasn't our best night sleep. I was told they do have cabins with 2 double or twin beds and bathroom but they go pretty quick. I would definitely stay there again if we could get one of those cabins. And may consider even staying in the one we had (just to be able to get into Lamar at 5:30am) -- but again it would be for only one night.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
4  Thank majCincinnati_Ohio
Reviewed September 15, 2011

We stayed 3 nights in a Roosevelt Lodge Cabin during our trip to Yellowstone. It was just what we were looking for with our two teenage sons. It gives you a more rustic, relaxed feel than other areas of the park. We had a cabin with 3 beds but no bathroom. Even though it was August we still needed to use the wood stove at night (the only heat, they provide "faux" logs and you may have to get up to add wood during the night as it only burns a few hours). Using the shared bathhouse was no problem, although we do have teenage boys. I think it may depend on your children and their experiences how they would like this. The setting, cabins & lodge were a perfect base for exploring. It is located in a less crowded part of the park as well which was a plus. In my opinion it is also the prettiest part of the park. It is close to the Lamar Valley and we spent one evening driving through the valley and saw many buffalo (crossing the road right in front of us) and pronghorn. It is also on the side of the park that the Yellowstone River runs through and the Grand Canyon of Yellowstone (my favorite part of the park). We ate all our breakfasts and dinners at the Roosevelt Lodge and enjoyed them very much (the cabins are the cheapest place to stay in the park so we felt we could spend a little more on food). We also booked a 2 hour horseback ride to a western cookout which which begins right near the lodge. Would highly recommend this although you need to book well in advance.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
7  Thank Ricfel
Also consider these accommodations in or near Yellowstone National Park
Mammoth Hot Springs Hotel & Cabins
Mammoth Hot Springs Hotel & Cabi...
#1 of 6 in Yellowstone National Park
Lake Yellowstone Hotel and Cabins
Lake Yellowstone Hotel and Cabin...
#2 of 6 in Yellowstone National Park
Rodeway Inn and Suites
#2 of 8 in Gardiner
Best Western By Mammoth Hot Springs
Comfort Inn Yellowstone North

Been to Roosevelt Lodge Cabins? Share your experiences!